Black Tea, Ceylon Black Tea, Natural Almond Flavor
Almond, Marzipan, Nutty
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
Edit tea info Last updated by Michelle Szetela

3 Images

• “Sipdown! Thanks to *gracebtlb* for this share. Super excited to try the new teas she sent me! I opted to try a giant mug of this one because I want to save the puerh for when I can really sit and...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5400 tasting notes
  • “I agree with previous reviewers that this definitely has more of a bitter almond rather than a sweet almond taste, which is fine by me. I am a big almond junkie, so this was one of the first teas I...” Read full tasting note
    shetheliving 355 tasting notes
  • “This is an ok tea. I think that I've had so many marzipan teas at this point that are amazing that it makes this one seem a little blah by comparison. It's definitely not the best almond tea that...” Read full tasting note
    JosieJade 358 tasting notes
  • “As others have mentioned, I found this tea to be a tad bitter although I did not oversteep it. I think next time I'll give it 3 mins. instead of four. It's pure almond and I have had better...” Read full tasting note
    Doulton 255 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

The tangy, bright and perfectly balanced flavors of Ceylon black tea are a great canvas for many flavor expressions. The very best Ceylons blend easily with flavors giving them excellent depth and complexity. Take our Almond Black, for example. Touch of raw almond aroma, plush mouthfeel reminiscent of creamy marzipan, with nutty sweetness upfront and a balanced, clean astringency.

About Adagio Teas View company

I’m a big fan of almond so liking this one wasn’t much of a surprise. The flavor reminds me of the almond milk tea I usually get. Maybe not a very authentic almond flavor, but I love it. I wouldn’t recommend steeping this one any longer than 3 minutes.

I got this as a sample and will probably order more.

I adore almond… So today I skipped the coffee and made a cup of this and added some almond milk to it for good measure.

The results? A delightful, very almond-y, sweet-smelling tea with bitter cocoa notes. Yum yum!

Thank you TeaTiff for swapping some teas! I always love to try the Adagio flavors… they are usually spot on. This one is no different! At first, the flavor is like I’m chewing actual raw almonds, the nuttiness that they have. Then at the back of the sip the flavor shifts to a marzipan. So it’s almost like I’m drinking a tea with two types of almond! No actual almonds are in my sample that I can see. I guess Adagio wanted to be double accurate with the flavors this time. The black tea itself is never too terrible, this time it seems a little cardboardy, unless that is the almond itself but I’m not going to complain when I usually love the flavors. I’ve had better almond/marzipan teas though.
Steep #1 // just boiled // 3 min

On occasion, I get a hankering for the flavor of amaretto or raw almonds. I blame it on my sister-in-law, who fixed me my first amaretto sour, when I went to visit she and my brother in the very flat lands of North Dakota (to this day, one of my favorite vacations…EVER). I’ve been obsessed with the flavor ever since; gobbling down raw almonds is a luxury I rarely afford myself, but I do appreciate adding amaretto-flavored creamer to my weekend coffee. Naturally my interest was piqued when I discovered Adagio sold an Almond Black Tea. Finally! An opportunity to marry two of my food obsessions.

But, this is where the excitement ends with Adagio’s Almond Tea.

My experience with Adagio teas that have artificial flavoring has been positive. I could practically bury my face in a pouch of Adagio’s Chestnut tea. The same could not be said for the Almond Black tea. First sniff was alright, and I definitely smelled the sweet, raw almond scent I hoped for. But, with each intake of breath after, it got worse. After a while, the Almond Tea started to have the bitter or sour scent of chemicals, which was obviously unpleasant. It was so off-putting that I almost ditched the bag because I was certain this would affect the taste.

Flavor-wise, the Almond Tea wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t what I was expecting. When sipped at a temperature slightly less than piping hot, all I picked up was the flavor of the black tea. Not until the tea cooled down did the almond flavor seem to stand out. Then, instead of tasting the sweet, cherry-like flavor of raw almonds, I tasted the nutty flavor of roasted almonds– a flavor I can tolerate, but ultimately don’t enjoy.

Bottom Line, I’m a big fan of Adagio tea (and their prices), but I did not enjoy their Almond tea. Honestly, the tea did not taste bad; if you’re a fan of that roasted almonds, then you may enjoy this tea. However, I don’t like that flavor and don’t really want to sip on a tea with a flavor I consider merely “tolerable”. I’ll probably put off drinking the rest of the Almond Tea until I’m desperate for a caffeine fix.

I was so disappointed by this tea! It tasted incredibly fake, and was just bad overall. The only way to make it remotely tolerable to finish is to add some milk to dilute the fake-almond flavor.

It was a black tea kind of morning so I decided to break open my sample box from Adagio.

This one smelled downright alarming in the pouch: sharp and chemical and not what I was expecting at all. I brewed it up anyway because I love almonds. The brewed tea smells like marzipan, but the taste isn’t that sweet. It’s a very nice almond flavor, and not nearly as bitter as I was expecting from other reviews. I actually steeped it much longer than I meant to but it’s still nice and light!

I might get this one, but then again the smell of the dry leaves is off-putting. Maybe I’ll decide after my next cup.

I wasn’t so sure about this one at first, but it quickly proved to be absolute favorite tea, probably because I love the taste of almond. The aroma is rich and fantastic, before and after steeping. I feel this tea is very versatile; I can enjoy it plain, with sweet cream, or over ice mixed with sweet cream! It’s also great blended with other teas like cream, caramel, or cinnamon. I recommend a steep time on the lower end of the scale or else it might become too bitter.

Good for mixing not but not really for drinking straight up. Is it just me, or are Adagio flavored black teas REALLY highly caffeinated? I have a high caffeine tolerance, but my heart pounds when I drink these.

This cup tasted bitter even though I didn’t oversteep. Next time I’ll add some sugar.