(Black) Currant

Black Fruit Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaEqualsBliss

From Adagio Teas

In a quick survey performed by Adagio Teas, 9 out of 10 people didn’t even know what a currant even was! So we’re offering a tea to clarify the mystery. Combining the unique flavor of ripe currants with the bright, full taste of black tea from Ceylon, the Currant Tea is simply delicious!

About Adagio Teas View company

I really thought I tried/logged this one before now…Oops!
I found this while going thru my stash – in prep for swap ammo!

I was careful not to over infuse – I didn’t want it to be bitter. Mission accomplished. I used a bit more loose leaf but only infused for about 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Certainly not over 3 mins.

It has a velvety black base with a slightly-bitter-tart-juicy currant flavor.

It’s not my fave currant tea but it’s not bad.

I’ll be passing this on to a few people soon so they can try it.

Surprisingly, I really like this tea. The black tea base is bright and the currant flavor is juicy and full! It almost reminds me of jam. It’s sweet with just the right amount of tartness. I feel like I’m chomping on juicy, ripe currants :]

Had this again last night and it was way too fakey-fragrant and candyish this time, but was improved tremendously by adding lemon. I won’t reorder this one.

I’ve never had a currant, but this is very cranberry-ish to me. The previous reviewer was right; this gets bitter very quickly and easily, so I always keep a watchful eye on it.

To all of those who found this to be bitter or sour….COLD STEEP.

This was awesome. Seriously awesome. I can see how it might be a bit strong or go off as hot tea, given that the flavor is so strong for cold steeped. It is definitely a lot more flavorful than most of the other fruity ones. I actually got this leafy taste too. Perhaps though it is because I have never just eaten a currant so I have no idea how they taste really. I also don’t tend to notice many “notes” as many others seem to. Usually I can ID floral, sweet, mineral, green, etc. Nothing more specific. Here, I taste a bit of sour fruit but also leaves. But not bright green leaves, kind of like wet forest leaves. Apparently I like that.

Iced 8 min or more 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Very hard to get right: Gets bitter and disagreeable quickly. Not too heavy handed, though, and great with milk chocolate.

Thin, sour and unpleasant. A lump of sugar did not improve it.

From the tea-journal:
This one was not anything special. A little on the bitter side for my kid-like tastes. I passed my sample along to a friend.