Masala Chai

Cardamon, Cinnamon, Clove, Spices, Cloves
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian
Boiling 5 min, 30 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

From Adagio Teas

To most Westerners, it is a little known fact that the word ‘Chai’ simply means ‘tea’ in Hindi. Therefore, all teas are technically chais. However, instead of the ‘chai’ that most Americans are used to (which usually contains really bad tea), we offer a Masala Chai tea – premium Ceylon black tea with a unique blend of spices; cinnamon, cardamon, and ginger.

About Adagio Teas View company

Well, this is the last chai to taste in the sample box. I was not very impressed. All I tasted was cloves, and no other spices. Vey mild other then that. There was no spice to it….sadly. I was really looking forward to this.

Cofftea

Terribly weak chai. The only one of their chais I like is the green.

I have not yet tried many other loose leaf chais, but I really like this one. You have to be careful not to oversteep it of course. This tea is good by itself with and without cream and sugar.

My favorite way to prepare it is by also adding some vanilla rooibos to it! For a 16oz I add two teaspoons of chai and one teaspoon of vanilla rooibos and steep for about 5 minutes (less time is better than extra time for the chai). I also enjoy adding a bit of cream and some dark sugar.

Delicious! Loving this chai, I think its the best of this kind I’ve tasted thus far. The cinnamon and clove are very nicely done; it’s a beautiful flavorful balance! And made on the stove (per the recipe on this page) its to die for!

I put 3 heaping teaspoons of this in approximately 10oz of boiling water on my stovetop and let it boil for about 4 minutes. Then I added approximately 7oz of sweetened condensed milk, and mixed it with a fork until it came to a low boil. Then I let it simmer that way for about about 5 more minutes, and strained it into a cup. It’s almost like a ‘chai latte’ you’d get at a coffeehouse.

Boiling 8 min or more

Very good Chai Tea!
Sweet on it’s own, needs no additives.
Currently I’m drinking it plain, but my next time around I may try it with milk and sugar…

Too much lemon peel! Spoiled it. Milk and sugar did not help

Cofftea

There isn’t supposed to be lemon peel in it…

One of my favorite teas from Adagio. Great by itself or with a little sugar and milk. The cinnamon, cardamon, and ginger flavors make this tea really stand out. One tablespoon can give you 4 very good cups of tea. Recommended for anyone who likes flavorful black tea. :)

This tea smells great. As soon as the hot water hit the tea, I could immediately smell it from a few feet away.

I had two cups of this (I tend to make at least two cups at a time whenever I make tea).

With the first, I was actually eating some indian food (Chicken Tika Masala and Whole Wheat Naan). The spices seem to overpower the actual black tea. Very distinctive cinnamon taste. Can’t say I know what cardamon tastes like, so I don’t know how much of a presence it made.

I also tried it with milk (fat free though, since that is all I have at the moment). Seemed to smooth the flavor a bit, although regular milk may work better. I don’t usually put milk in my tea though, so I don’t know if that is the case.

One thing I noticed, is that the flavor seemed to dull as the tea cooled off.

Pretty good for when I want some black tea, but don’t quite want it to taste like a black tea.

Their masala chai is one of the better that I’ve tasted, and I’ve tasted a great many masala chai blends.

Kyle Hildebrant

I love this tea too.

Samples Only TTB
Woah! I don’t know what happened but I must have done something wrong! I used 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup milk and let simmer for a bit, strained, sweetened, took a sip, and nearly choked. I love chai, but this was a whole other level. I’m convinced I either oversteeped, over leafed, or both, because this felt like what I imagine doing the cinnamon challenge is like. So so drying and bitter and not at all like the delicious spicy chai latte it should have been.
I’m not blaming you, poor innocent chai, I believe you are the victim here, I believe that this is not what you are, I believe that you acted like this because something I did to you.

2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML