Masala Chai

Black Chai Blend
Astringent, Bitter, Cinnamon, Cloves, Ginger, Pepper, Tannic, Cardamon, Clove, Spices
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian
Boiling 5 min, 30 sec 12 oz / 354 ml

From Adagio Teas

To most Westerners, it is a little known fact that the word ‘Chai’ simply means ‘tea’ in Hindi. Therefore, all teas are technically chais. However, instead of the ‘chai’ that most Americans are used to (which usually contains really bad tea), we offer a Masala Chai tea – premium Ceylon black tea with a unique blend of spices; cinnamon, cardamon, and ginger.

About Adagio Teas View company

This tea makes an amazing chai latte. It’s delicious straight, but I do love my chai lattes. This is the most spice-balanced chai I’ve found. None of the spices jumps out as too heavy or too light. Easily my favorite “all-around” chai.

Upon replenishing my stock of this tea, was disappointed to receive crushed leaves, chopped spices, and a completely different taste. Very spicy, not enough tea, and now I am on a new quest to find one as good or better as the old Masala Chai from Adagio.

1 tsp 14 OZ / 414 ML

Sample! Woot! I made this stove-top. It’s level of spice is perfect. :) It’s not as tea-flavorful as Samovar’s chai, so if I do decide to purchase it, I’ll probably mix in a black tea I have laying about.

Two thumbs up!

Boiling 8 min or more 6 tsp 32 OZ / 946 ML

I am pleasantly surprised by this. Really nice balance of spices and a smooth mouth feel despite a bit of bite (in a good way). Tasty and comforting. I am a fan! Which is semi surprising as I am beginning to realize that despite Adagio being my first experience with a larger tea company (and loving the creativity given with fan blends and the point system online), their tea seems to be lacking most of the time when compared to other teas I have had.

But this one? A-ok in my book.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Clove, Ginger, Pepper, Spices

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

An excellent chai! With 2 tsp, it’s very bold and spicy. Add a splash of almond milk and 1 tsp sugar to make it a delicious treat.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

This is one of my favorites from Adagio. Brewing it double strength with milk and honey takes it from good to great.

Not bad. I’ve had this for a long time but never finished it off. I believe I over-steeped it today, since I lost track of my timer. What use is a timer without an alarm?

The tea is flavorful (I may have loaded extra tea in there because I like muh chai’s strong) and robust. I think it’s a nice solid chai to have in your cabinet when the urge strikes. But, I will continue looking for other more amazing chais. Of course.

So overall it’s good. Affordable adagio easy drinking tea. Nom.

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

It’s not a bad tea but I like a really spicy chai this certainly isn’t it. It’s a little too light for me. Ok. A lot. It was better with milk and sugar but only a faint chai taste. Not one I’d purchase again.

Samples Only TTB
Woah! I don’t know what happened but I must have done something wrong! I used 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup milk and let simmer for a bit, strained, sweetened, took a sip, and nearly choked. I love chai, but this was a whole other level. I’m convinced I either oversteeped, over leafed, or both, because this felt like what I imagine doing the cinnamon challenge is like. So so drying and bitter and not at all like the delicious spicy chai latte it should have been.
I’m not blaming you, poor innocent chai, I believe you are the victim here, I believe that this is not what you are, I believe that you acted like this because something I did to you.

2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Special Tasting Note

I love this Tea, for the record. Masala Chai is delicious and Adagio’s blend is my favorite so far. I usually drink it as a latte. Tonight’s tasing note is very special tho.

Tonight, I’m having Masala Chai as … ice cream. :)
The recipe will hopefully be posted soon on Arbor Teas.
I made it up! :) It’s homemade icecream made with Masala Chai and vanilla.

It’s DELICIOUS and I am enjoying it so much. How will a cup of tea do after this?
I have to try to make some more flavors. Morrocan Mint Icecream… you are next.

So that said, Yes, I love Masala chai and I totally recommend it. I generally boil the water and steep about 6 minutes because more makes it too strong for me with my problem with Cinnamon. But I have no complaints on the mix.

Flavors: Cardamon, Cinnamon, Clove, Spices