Masala Chai

Cinnamon, Cloves
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian
Boiling 5 min, 30 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

From Adagio Teas

To most Westerners, it is a little known fact that the word ‘Chai’ simply means ‘tea’ in Hindi. Therefore, all teas are technically chais. However, instead of the ‘chai’ that most Americans are used to (which usually contains really bad tea), we offer a Masala Chai tea – premium Ceylon black tea with a unique blend of spices; cinnamon, cardamon, and ginger.

About Adagio Teas View company

I mostly detect clove with a little bit of cinnamon. I’m not sure if there is any orange rind in here or not, but I’m picking up hints of that as well. I’m not much of a chai person, but this is a worthy effort. It’s one of the rare chais I’ve preferred without milk.

I used this spicy little blend to make a tea latte. Upon opening the pouch, my nose was assaulted by clove and cinnamon, making me think this would make an amazing stove top potpourri. Brewing yields an unremarkable light medium amber brown color. The aroma, as with most chais, is simply intoxicating. The taste, however, is a bit underwhelming. The chai I make from scratch has SO much more flavor with only tea leaves and one spice. This particular chai begs for more cardamom. While this chai blend is decent, I anticipated a stronger, heartier and more robust flavor rolling around in my mouth. The spices blend well with the tea leaves, helped by the vigorous snap of the ginger, so I’d be willing to keep this in my cupboard…as an emergency back up.

Solid.

Truthfully, I haven’t had a whole lot of different masala chais yet. I like this one however. Not too spicy and not too much cinnamon. The base tea flavor comes through well too. I would like a spicier blend however but I still end up making this one with milk and honey at least once a weak usually.

Boiling 8 min or more

Not my favorite Chai tea. The flavor is okay, but I feel like I need more to get any flavor. I had the sample bag & once it runs out, I doubt I’ll buy it again.

I just received my Adagio order tonight and was very excited to try this tea. I did find this tea enjoyable and will have it again. I could really taste the cinnamon coming through. I’m finding I really like cinnamon in my tea. I’m still new to the tea tasting so take it for what its worth.

Pretty decent Masala Chai!

This is my kind of chai. Not too spicy, not too weak. I love it with milk and honey.

Thoroughly disappointing, this one. The tea-spice ratio is skewed a bit too much toward tea for me to really enjoy it; I like my chai strong, aromatic, and spicy, and this just doesn’t do it for me.

I love a good strong chai. This meets all the criteria for that. While it’s not the best that I’ve ever had, it’s definitely a quality tea and excellent for the price. Like any other chai, since you’re adding dairy which will wash out the flavor, you want a long steep time and at least one heaping tsp per 8oz (or more, depending on how strong you like it.)

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more

As an Indian, I’m used to drinking some pretty tough chai. I’m also aware that it’s tough to compare loose tea to tea brewed with fresh ginger. That said, I still think Adagio could’ve done better with this chai… it’s definitely got the taste of masala, but it’s just not spicy enough. In comparison, Tazo Tea actually produces a chai tea bag that I’ve been impressed with. Long story short, this masala chai is, in my opinion, nothing to write home about. I’ll look for other teas in the future.