Masala Chai

Cardamon, Cinnamon, Clove, Spices, Cloves
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian
Boiling 5 min, 30 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

From Adagio Teas

To most Westerners, it is a little known fact that the word ‘Chai’ simply means ‘tea’ in Hindi. Therefore, all teas are technically chais. However, instead of the ‘chai’ that most Americans are used to (which usually contains really bad tea), we offer a Masala Chai tea – premium Ceylon black tea with a unique blend of spices; cinnamon, cardamon, and ginger.

About Adagio Teas View company

I really well rounded Chai, where you can taste all the different spices but none of them are too overpowering. I’ve tried a lot of Chais before and this is probably one of my favorites.

This blend of masala chai is pretty aggressively spiced, which I like. Some of my housemates say that the peppercorns are too aggressive in the tea. I’d say that this tea is pretty spicy, but the tea leaves have a sometimes unfortunate tendency to bitterness, even though I steeped it less than the recommended five minutes.

I might have to try again with a gentler brewing. Then again, I drank it straight without milk or sugar, so that might be a factor.

Not as spicy as I’d like, but still tasty.

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more

I mostly detect clove with a little bit of cinnamon. I’m not sure if there is any orange rind in here or not, but I’m picking up hints of that as well. I’m not much of a chai person, but this is a worthy effort. It’s one of the rare chais I’ve preferred without milk.

I used this spicy little blend to make a tea latte. Upon opening the pouch, my nose was assaulted by clove and cinnamon, making me think this would make an amazing stove top potpourri. Brewing yields an unremarkable light medium amber brown color. The aroma, as with most chais, is simply intoxicating. The taste, however, is a bit underwhelming. The chai I make from scratch has SO much more flavor with only tea leaves and one spice. This particular chai begs for more cardamom. While this chai blend is decent, I anticipated a stronger, heartier and more robust flavor rolling around in my mouth. The spices blend well with the tea leaves, helped by the vigorous snap of the ginger, so I’d be willing to keep this in my cupboard…as an emergency back up.

Solid.

Truthfully, I haven’t had a whole lot of different masala chais yet. I like this one however. Not too spicy and not too much cinnamon. The base tea flavor comes through well too. I would like a spicier blend however but I still end up making this one with milk and honey at least once a weak usually.

Boiling 8 min or more

Not my favorite Chai tea. The flavor is okay, but I feel like I need more to get any flavor. I had the sample bag & once it runs out, I doubt I’ll buy it again.

I just received my Adagio order tonight and was very excited to try this tea. I did find this tea enjoyable and will have it again. I could really taste the cinnamon coming through. I’m finding I really like cinnamon in my tea. I’m still new to the tea tasting so take it for what its worth.

Pretty decent Masala Chai!

This is my kind of chai. Not too spicy, not too weak. I love it with milk and honey.