Masala Chai

Cinnamon, Cloves
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian
Boiling 5 min, 30 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

From Adagio Teas

To most Westerners, it is a little known fact that the word ‘Chai’ simply means ‘tea’ in Hindi. Therefore, all teas are technically chais. However, instead of the ‘chai’ that most Americans are used to (which usually contains really bad tea), we offer a Masala Chai tea – premium Ceylon black tea with a unique blend of spices; cinnamon, cardamon, and ginger.

About Adagio Teas View company

I bought a chai sampler and this was one of the choices they sent. It was one of my favorites, and next time I buy from Adagio I will be getting more. It is spicy, in the “it has a lot of spices” way, and was a great boost on cold mornings.

Really good chai; nice and peppery, sweet, citrusy, but not bitter. Not necessary to add sweeteners or milk, it stands alone, however a bit of rice milk is delicious and makes it a really cozy beverage.

Wonderfully spicy, more in an aromatic way then a taste bud way, however, very delicious. I brewed it with boiling milk instead of water with a lot of honey, and I think that made all the difference.

This sure it a chai…by that I mean STRONG. Doesn’t mean it was bad, but, a little milk (treason!) would have sure mellowed the very intense taste. In fact, took a few washings of my infuser to stop it from sneaking into my other steeps. Good, not great.

However, I did get my wife a set-up and this was her first step into steeping. She was very happy…so I got that going for me.

This is really damn good.

I have to admit, I haven’t had many chais, but I really do enjoy this. The cardamon is the dominent note. The fragrance and taste are very classic chai.

If you’ve ever wanted to summon the spirit of Christmas in 8 minutes flat, brew yourself a pot of this. It’s the perfect wintery bliss.

I will be ordering more of this from Adagio. I’ll also be ordering a few other brands and blends for comparison.

As with most chai, this is good with milk or cream and a bit of sweetener. My preference is 4 parts chai, 1 part soy milk, and a tblsp of agave nectar. A common way to drink chai is half and half, chai to milk.

I think this benefits from a longer steep time. I tried it at 5, 6, 7 and 8 minute steeps. The latter was my preference.

180 °F / 82 °C 8 min or more

Good but didn’t love it. Middle of the road chai for me.

Got this as a gift for my birthday. Hadn’t ever tried it before, and was very pleasantly surprised at the experience. I am having a hard time thinking about going back to mundane teas that I have had in the past. Great cup of tea.

Made this one again with less tea and it turned out pretty good

I totally forgot I owned this tea! After taking a smell of it, I had to make myself a cup. Very rich and spicy tea. Perfect kick in the morning or on a cold winder day.

Steeped using my Blomus tea stick and drank out of my MCOT double walled, glass tea up.

Trying my favorite chai without honey today. Pleasantly surprised.