Chestnut

Edit tea info Last updated by sugarbloodsucker

From Adagio Teas

Premium black tea from Sri Lanka flavored with roasted chestnuts. Perfect for enjoying in front of an open fire. With Jack Frost nipping at your nose, this is the ideal time to enjoy this Holiday favorite. Help to make the season bright, give this limited-time tea a try.

About Adagio Teas View company

This is a lovely holiday tea, and an acceptable substitute for a roaring fire (in a proper fireplace, of course) and a warm blanket. I’ve never had real chestnuts, so I can’t speak to the authenticity of the taste, but it certainly tastes like some kind of (delicious) nut.

The tin suggests a temperature of 212 degrees with a steeping time of five minutes, which is two minutes longer than the Adagio website suggests.
The extra minutes don’t seem to have hurt anything, but I’ll steep for the shorter time later, just to test.

It’s quite smooth and nutty black, but it shines with milk (not cream) and sugar (NOT Splenda… Splenda adds a sharp edge to this one. It’s still a good cup of tea, but it’s better without).

I’m surprised by how much I’m liking this one, especially since the smell from the leaves smelled very fake in the package. But in the cup it makes a subtly nutty black tea that’s wonderful black. Just don’t oversteep—I think last time I let it go too long or had the water too hot, because it got pretty cloying. But done right, this tea is pleasantly nutty with a clean finish.

Though I am new to the world of hot tea, this is my fav so far. Nice nutty taste without being bitter. We are almost out of the 4oz purchased in December and will certainly be buying more.

Nutty and creamy. For some reason, I expected this to taste of hazelnuts but I was pleasantly surprised when it didn’t.

Like most of Adagio’s other holiday teas, this smells amazing as it steeps. I’m not sure what the flavor is, though. It’s not bad – no strange aftertaste, no weird chemical taste. I’d say it’s a little nutty and a bit chocolate-y -which, ha, would make you think I should be rating this higher. Alas, this is a decent cup, but I’m not rushing to get more.

This is the only holiday tea from Adagio that I really enjoyed. It’s smooth and slightly sweet with just the right amount of nuttiness.

I really enjoyed this tea. The aroma is comforting and makes me smile whenever I go to take a sip. The flavor isn’t overwhelming with chestnut, so it tastes more like a mildly flavored black tea with a hint of caramel. I would think for most people’s taste it could use just a touch of sugar to match the flavor with the smell. Very enjoyable – I think I shall order myself some!

I’ve eaten a lot of chestnuts from all over the world and this does not taste like chestnuts to me. It tastes cloying and artificial. I’ll probably be giving this away.

I got this tea as part of a holiday sampler. I’m not a fan of minty (candy cane) or fruity (candy apple, cranberry) and prefer the nuttier, spicier teas, like this one. It’s not a light, refreshing type of tea, though. It’s bold, strong, kind of heavy. It’s the kind of tea I’d have like a protein bar, to tide me over between meals. It’s also good in the early evening, when you’re trying to get that unexpected winter chill out of your bones.

It’s probably not a tea I’d buy on its own, given my druthers, but I’m glad I got to try it as part of the sampler.

2009-11-25 noon
Preparation: Teavana Easy Tea Steeper, sweetened with a dash of splenda

The first taste is black tea, and the aftertaste is a bit of chestnuts – it lingers in my mouth. It also has a somewhat starchy, dry feel in my mouth. Not really pleased with this one.

ETA: After 2 hours I haven’t even finished it… off to make something else, then.