Chestnut

Brown Sugar, Butter, Nuts, Smooth, Sweet, Chestnut
Edit tea info Last updated by sugarbloodsucker
Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 20 g 12 oz / 355 ml

From Adagio Teas

Premium black tea from Sri Lanka flavored with roasted chestnuts. Perfect for enjoying in front of an open fire. With Jack Frost nipping at your nose, this is the ideal time to enjoy this Holiday favorite. Help to make the season bright, give this limited-time tea a try.

About Adagio Teas View company

The very last Adagio sample in my cupboard! Hopefully next time I’ll remember that I don’t actually like their teas and I’ll refrain from purchasing! :P This has their generic black tea base, though the leaves aren’t too terribly broken. I don’t see any nut pieces (as shown in the picture) in my sample. Dry scent is nutty, creamy, and very sweet.

Uhhh… The steeped tea smells like waffles drenched in butter and syrup. o.o! This would make a rather nice air freshener. Unfortunately, it doesn’t actually taste like waffles. The black base is mellow and smooth, and it does have an interesting buttery element. Combine this with the sweetness of what I think is intended to be a candied chestnut tea, and I can see where the waffle smell comes from. Overall, not bad, especially for Adagio.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Butter, Nuts, Smooth, Sweet

I like this tea a lot using less tea and a shorter steep. It holds up well to a second steep. The room smells really amazing while you are drinking it, too.

Flavors: Chestnut

Boiling 2 min, 45 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

A sample from MissB from a while back. Thank you!

I actually meant for this to be a sipdown, but I went to edit my spreadsheet and discovered that I have a couple of bags of this somewhere. This makes me incredibly happy because I love this tea. It is, however, the end of my loose leaf ):

It probably would have been harder to get rid of, but I’ve hoarded for too long and sadly, the flavours are fading. Luckily I caught it in time and though the tea base was weak, and a little astringent from the long steep I gave it, the chestnut flavour is just as delicious as I remember it. Warm, comforting and roasty, with a creamy nuttiness and an almost maple syrup-like aftertaste without the sweetness. Reminds me so much of baking! Just like some kind of muffin. Yummy.

Boiling 8 min or more 1 tsp 5 OZ / 147 ML
adagio breeze

oooh, I gotta get me some of this.

Nattie

I would definitely recommend it (:

Love this, but wished i had used slightly cooler water.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 20 g 27 OZ / 800 ML

I should preface this by saying I’ve never had a chestnut, so I can’t say “OMG, this totally tastes like chestnuts” or “Wow, Adagio. This tastes nothing like chestnuts”. I also have to say that I was hesitant to try this simply because it said “chestnut” on the front. I typically don’t enjoy nuts (unless it’s a pistachio). And, chestnuts especially seemed to be about as appealing as a store-bought fruitcake at Christmas. But, I was pleasantly surprised by this tea.

One of my favorite things to do before trying out new tea is to breath in the aroma of the tea. It kind of gives me an idea of what I’m getting in to. When I opened the package, I didn’t even have to bring the leaves to my nose to get a good whiff. The aroma was strong, but not in an unappealing way. It was like walking into a kitchen when someone is baking cookies.

I was surprised how little of the black tea I could smell though. All I could notice was the “chestnut” flavoring. This tea had the most buttery and sugary and nutty aroma. These were the things that popped into my head: burnt sugar. Creme Brule. Multi-grain pancakes from Anna’s, a local restaurant. Smothered in butter and warm syrup of course. Notice how none of those say “chestnut”?
Right.

Only after I brewed the tea did I really notice the black tea. It was full-bodied, but it wasn’t overpowering. The buttery and nuttiness only showed up as a delightful aftertaste. I drank my tea without sugar or milk. It really doesn’t need it. But, I bet a dash of milk and sugar would turn Adagio’s Chestnut Tea into a nice dessert tea.

Bottom Line, I really enjoyed this tea. It left me feeling cozy and wishing for a snowy afternoon. There was one downfall though. I only received a sample of this type of tea, and I can’t stop thinking of it!

This tea is surprisingly tasty….but, it tastes like maple? Sorta? It was sweet, and I’m not entirely sure it was maple, but also not sure it was like chestnut either. At least the base was muted from the milk, so no bitterness on my end.

I will happily have the last of my sample from Dexter and hope it is as tasty still.

Wow, chestnut is right! This tea needed a little cream and sugar for my tastes, but once it had it, it was pretty tasty! I bet it would be fantastic with some chocolate. Man I love chestnuts. That cup went down fast!

Wow, this smelled so good in the bag and brewed. Then I tasted it. Hmm good but a little off (kinda like a lot of people here said in their tasting notes). Yes, the chestnut flavour is done nicely. Was it the tea base? I don’t know. I tried sweetening it up a bit but it didn’t make any difference. Not leaving a rating at this time as I’m just not sure about this tea. Will have to try it again with a shorter steep time.

Boiling

did not sound good, but tastes good

This is a lovely holiday tea, and an acceptable substitute for a roaring fire (in a proper fireplace, of course) and a warm blanket. I’ve never had real chestnuts, so I can’t speak to the authenticity of the taste, but it certainly tastes like some kind of (delicious) nut.

The tin suggests a temperature of 212 degrees with a steeping time of five minutes, which is two minutes longer than the Adagio website suggests.
The extra minutes don’t seem to have hurt anything, but I’ll steep for the shorter time later, just to test.

It’s quite smooth and nutty black, but it shines with milk (not cream) and sugar (NOT Splenda… Splenda adds a sharp edge to this one. It’s still a good cup of tea, but it’s better without).