Edit tea info Last updated by clawsgirl
Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 16 oz / 473 ml

From Ahmad Tea London

Some of the finest high-grown teas from the hillsides of Sri Lanka, producing a drink of golden colour and special character. May be served with milk or a slice of lemon. Infuse 4-6 minutes.

About Ahmad Tea London View company

Backlogging from earlier today. A standard Ceylon tea, on the same level as Bigelow and Dilmah, not as flavorful as Twinings, and much more astringent at the finish, though no bitterness. I used the teabag version, with milk and sugar.

K S

Can you buy all these Ahmad teas locally or do you shop online? Locally I can usually only find a very few regularly. A couple times a year they may set up a larger display. It usually doesn’t last long.

Brett

I ordered them from Amazon and then I found enjoybettertea.com, which had all the Ahmad teas, as well as Pickwick, Dilmah, Ridgway, and Basilur. I placed a $50.00 order with them about a week ago and they arrived quickly. Since there was free shipping at $50.00, I figured I would rather spend $6.95 on tea rather than on shipping charges. Locally, I have occasionally seen a box of Ahmad at TJMaxx/Home Goods, but that is all.

ashmanra

Good to know, Brett! My daughter loves Pickwick green but only buys it in Europe. She has been wanting a source!

A fairly standard loose Ceylon, strong, good for early mornings. It lacks the subtlety of finer single-estate fare, though, so if you want something a bit more distinguished, steer clear.

I bought this tea in a Jordan market for $7 and really got a whole lot of bang for my buck. It seems the package was NASA approved shrink sealed because as soon as I opened it and air got in the loose tea seemed to be spilling out at an alarming pace and I ended up filling 1 huge glad container and a smaller one that I kept at my office. I was offering ceylon tea to coworkers more than I was working it seemed. As for taste, I love a nice strong tea in the morning and I packed my strainer full of this and got a really good caffeine fix every morning. (Side note: still haven’t finished this in two years…. not even close)

This tea reminds of Ahmad Tea’s English Breakfast tea with a little less flavor. However, it’s still very enjoyable especially with the addition of milk.

I am finding Ahmad Teas to be among the best I have gotten at an Indian or Asian Market. While they are not up to the quality of what I get online, or even at my local tea store, they are not bad. This one is strong, making me think of adding milk. It has a note that I would describe as loosely citrus and it seems to be often found in Ceylon teas in general. It is also brisk like a Ceylon tea. Some bitterness steeped into this one. I think it would be better at a lower temperature.

I steeped this one time in a 16oz Teavana Glass Perfect Tea Maker/Gravity Steeper with 3 tsp leaf and 200 degree water for 3 minutes.

Mike

This is definitely a strong one…I always seem to overleaf. :P

AllanK

I was surprised by this tea brand, surprisingly good for something I paid $9 for 500g of.

Mike

Absolutely! I love Ahmad! They might not be the very best, like you said, but they are really good considering how much they cost. I like a couple of their Assams, the gunpowder green, and the Earl Grey green..all around the same price at Turkish markets, from what I have seen.

AllanK

Yeah I got these at my local Indian market. They have tea that is a grade above average supermarket tea but a grade below what you get on the internet.

Mike

Exactly. Nice everyday teas.

This was my second try with the loose leaf version of this tea, and I overdid it with the leaves again. The first steep was okay, but the second steep was awesome, the smooth Ceylon I love so much. I need to start measuring my leaves to be more precise. Anyway, I’m finishing it up now and am a happy Cheapster Steepster (Thanks, Boychik :P).

looseTman

Have you considered a scale instead of measuring spoons?

Mike

Awesome, thanks! I’ll definitely invest in one!

looseTman

You’re welcome!

Poor aroma, too bitter for me, sharp taste, not bad for ice tea. :)