Earl Grey

Edit tea info Last updated by Lala

From Ahmad Tea

An inspirational blend of black teas subtly flavoured with the elegant fragrance of bergamot. A tea that lifts the spirits and satisfies the taste buds. This popular English drink is usually served without milk. Infuse 3-5 minutes.

About Ahmad Tea View company

Went to vote this morning. I think this was the longest I have ever had to stand in line to vote. At one point my wife says, “I think you are going to be late for work.” To which, I sarcastically replied, “What are they going to do fire me?…. O wait they already did.” She sighed and quietly replied, “Really.” A few moments later I noticed the lady in front of us started acting antsy. She turned, looked at me, and said, “I can’t afford to lose my job.” Then she stepped out of line and quickly left the building. I stepped forward, thinking to myself, “Me too.” Sigh.

Different subject. Like gmathis I am also struggling with daylight savings time. I am waking up at 3:30. I don’t have to be up until 6:00, but I can’t go back to sleep. I am decaffing it in the evenings and it doesn’t seem to be helping. So I grabbed old reliable in an attempt to stay awake this morning.

I drink a lot of cheap teas. Some are better than others. I also get to drink a lot of above average stuff, thanks to Steepster. Some of it is a bit pricey. This one falls into the cheapster Steepster end at about a buck and half and ounce. This is where I go when I just need a good comfort sip. Not overly complex, just tasty. I highly recommend Ahmad to any one looking for a better than average cheap tea.

I am KS and I approve this tasting note.

Bonnie

Enjoyable read! You might try some puerh for soothing. I like my little orange toucha’s which are smooth, sweet and very mild. I think they’re inexpensive. I have to ask mrmopar where to get them though.

gmathis

Hug your wife for me. It’ll be good for the both of you. (We were out in 10 minutes, but there were seven—count ’em—seven active voters in our little municipal building. Major traffic for the burg!)

Bonnie

I just don’t understand why States don’t all have mail in ballots like I did. Easy, done 2 weeks ago. They even call and remind you to send it in and send an email too. If you want to go to a polling place, you can if you want to but why would you unless you need help.

K S

Bonnie – I save my puerh for when I have time and ambition for a marathon. Same with oolong. I hate stopping until they turn to mushroom water.

I don’t mind standing in line to vote. It kind of makes me take it more seriously. One advantage to mail in though would be getting the chance to look up some of the candidates for offices that were flying under the radar – like judges.

This is a decent bagged earl grey. I has more of a lemon-orange type citrus than a strong bergamot type.

It’s not overly strong but still tasty.

First cup of the day while listening to The Christmas Donkey Song on the Radio!

Incase you were wondering about Dominic The Christmas Donkey

~lauren.

thank you very much, TeaEqualsBliss! I now have that song running through my brain and probably will have for the rest of the day … oh groan, it’s early morning yet and I have 15-plus-hours to go today … accompanied by Dominic & co. singing in my head … lol!

TeaEqualsBliss

LOL – Are you on Facebook, Lauren? Last Night I had “Lamda Lamda Lamda and Omega Mu” as my status (from Revenge of the Nerds) I had THAT in my head all last night! LOL

~lauren.

no, I just (last week?) started twitter! Facebook is going to have to wait ….

TeaEqualsBliss

teehee! I understand! :) When you do join – look us up!

definitely!

This is alright. The black tea base is smooth and the bergamot is mild. Not my favorite Earl Grey, but, it is certainly not the worst either.

Backlog: This is not a bad tea for the buy, however I’m not very experienced in this style of flavored teas to rate this one properly. It’s much stronger smelling with the dry leaves, than the liquid it produces. The dark leaves are enticing, however it’s very bold aroma made me slightly leery of proceeding forward with.

I must say that I must taste other Earl Grey’s to adequately define it’s range of boldness and comparative qualities. Overall, this tea encounter was nice and fitting for a early evening brew of tea.

K S

One of my favorite cheapster steepsters. I steep for three minutes any longer and it gets harsh I think. A friend only goes two minutes before he thinks it is too strong. Twinings bergamot is a little more bright if that’s the word and its tea base is more bland. I recently had a Utopia Earl Grey that had a mildy smoky base – it was really good.

Pureleaf

Thank you, for your input. I may have to try the slightly smokier Utopia Earl Grey. Sounds intriguing and more of my liking.

I blame KS for this one. He is always raving about his Ahmad tea, so when I came across this (while looking for Fauchon tea) I had to buy it. It was a pretty good deal. This one is in tea bag form.

The dry tea smells strongly of bergamot, so obviously I’m excited.

The brewed tea smells, tastes and looks like orange pekoe (the ingredients just list black tea). There is a bergamot flavour to it. It is moderately strong. I had anticipated it to be stronger based on the smell. The bergamot has a natural sweetness to it. I am finding my mouth a bit dry (but not astringent) after each sip, which I attribute to the orange pekoe.

Overall a decent Earl Grey. I would prefer a different base tea, but it is still good. I might just have to try Ahmad’s Earl Grey Green that KS is always writing about…

(And I agree with KS. This is a cheaper tea but it is still quite decent for the price you pay).

TeaBrat

I have the decaf version of this…

K S

I’ve always seen this on the same level as Twinings – but Twinings’ base is too bland and the bergamot a little too bright (not too strong) for my tastes. Ahmad uses a Ceylon base that packs more punch though that may not appeal to all Cheapster Steepsters.

In my bag only days I went from Bigelow to Twinings to Ahmad. Now it is like family – always welcome.

Terri HarpLady

This is Tony’s go-to tea, the one he loves the most.

K S

Lala the bagged green is different than the loose. Bagged is more like what you would expect – similar to the black version but green ;). The loose is more like inexpensive but decent bi luo chun with a light touch of bergamot.

Similar to Twinings in flavor, though perhaps the bergamot is a bit stronger. I don’t really care for Earl Grey; too much like grapefruit to me.

As a recent convert to tea, I found the taste strong as I only usually have clear, white tea or fruit infusions; But Earl Grey is so wonderful to drink and it gives me the energy I need after work when I usually feel tired and worn out from a day’s work.

Earl Grey is a recent discovery, and I have never been so wonderfully surprised in my life. I thought I was going to hate it because I am too spoilt by fruity teas. But I love this, the flavor is so distinct. I brew it up to 3 minutes so it doesn’t come out too bitter. I like it when its almost scalding hot.

I dont need to pair it with milk or sugar or honey because Earl Grey is perfectly dashing as it is. :)

K S

Wow, finally someone who likes this more than I do!

However I try to make this tea, bigger or smaller amount of leaves, longer or shorter infusion times, milk added or plain, the overwhelming bergamot scent (perfume rather, I’d say) simply does not allow me to enjoy tea. It even takes over all other flavours when I blend it with other teas. I have to make it drinkable by adding honey or lemon juice (milk does not help at all – it only aggravates!)

Based on a tea recipe David acquired from the previous caretaker of Bahji, we blend 1 part Earl Grey, 1 part Darjeeling with 2 parts Ceylon, for pilgrim’s tea as it was served for many years to those who visited the Shrine of Baha’u’llah (www.bahai.org) near Akko, Israel.