Earl Grey

Bergamot, Malt, Citrus
Edit tea info Last updated by Lala

From Ahmad Tea

An inspirational blend of black teas subtly flavoured with the elegant fragrance of bergamot. A tea that lifts the spirits and satisfies the taste buds. This popular English drink is usually served without milk. Infuse 3-5 minutes.

About Ahmad Tea View company

Have not tried the bagged version, but the loose leaf is excellent. One of my favorite Earl Greys!

This is truly a basic Early Grey Tea. But it’s not something I would give to my Grandmother for tea time. The bag exploded when I tried to open it, and the flavors are basic Early Grey. The bergamont is a bit heavy and spicy, but the tea is good when you need a cup of tea. Don’t go out of your way to buy this tea. There’s no point.

My mother-in-law gave us a big box of this to bring with us to Korea. It’s been my saving grace, as I’ve get to find good black tea here. But it’s a bit weak for me. If you have it Persian style, mixed with another kind of spicier black tea, and without milk, then it’s absolutely fantastic.

Paid HKD30 (roughly GBP2.50, USD3.90) for 100g. Very reasonable price.
It is a Ceylon base Earl Grey.

This is my second time buying and tasting a ceylon base Earl Grey tea, after the Lipton one.
I liked Ahmad’s better than Lipton’s. The bergamot flavour was more subtle and less artificial. The ceylon base was smoother and less astringent.

I just don’t think ceylon tea pairs well with bergamot flavour. Can’t say I like it.

Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 240 ML
ashmanra

I agree. I love Nina’s Earl Grey when it had a Keemun base SO MUCH. They switched to Ceylon and I can’t drink it. :(

Louise Li

@ashmanra Oh yes, I love Earl Grey with Keemun base, like it with Assam base too.
I haven’t tried anything from Nina’s yet, will have a look. Thanks :)

My grandmother drank this Earl Grey pretty often. I enjoy it out of memory, and I personally enjoy the more orange and lemony zest of the bergamot in the taste. The perfume botches my nose when I open the bag, or, at a distance, my nose really likes it. When I brew it, the smell is way better. It has a pretty smooth, malty taste and I actually prefer it to some of the black teas that I’ve had, save Irish Breakfast. I can do it with or without cream and sugar. I am glad that I have it, but I’m not sure that I would buy it for myself personally.

Flavors: Bergamot, Malt

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Quite serviceable for something that’s not looseleaf—a long shot better than Twinnings. Strong enough to stand up to all the milk and sweetener you could wish for.

Flavors: Bergamot

Found this in my tea cupboard when I was cleaning it out the other day. This is a very mild earl grey. The bergamot is very light almost not even there. It’s not a bad earl grey but it’s not the best either. Just meh for me.

2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

While cleaning out the tea cupboard I found a tiny ziploc baggie of this I had saved for some unknown reason. I had once upon a time the gigantic tin of this stuff, bought from the Middle Eastern market, back when I was just slowly getting into loose teas. I gave the tin away but apparently had kept a bag for some reason.

Well, suffice it to say that I have well and truly become a tea snob. Because I’m sorely tempted to dump this mug into the sink and toss the rest of the tea.

Sometime in the past year, I remember getting into it with a friend of a friend on Twitter (really, will I never learn?) who was vehemently offended that there are people who will pay more than $1/oz for loose tea, because – as he said – the stuff he got from Ahmad in the giant ass tin was good enough for him.

Oh, how I laugh now. Because honestly, this tea is not even in the same league as the other earl greys I have in my cupboard. The bergamot is very faint, the tea base is a bit rough, and the taste is closer to Lipton than to earl grey.

I like this tea, it has a reach fragrance. There’s nothing like a cup of Bergamot tea on a cold day. Also it’s easy to find.

Flavors: Bergamot, Citrus

Starting the morning with a London Fog (earl grey tea + vanilla flavoring)

Terri HarpLady

This is one of Tony’s most favorite teas :)