Edit tea info Last updated by Harney & Sons The Store

• “1000? How'd that happen? Somebody's spending too much time flitting online, huh? This was my treat to myself after nearly breaking my back loading up building plans and blueprints for Fed Ex. It...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1702 tasting notes
  • “I need to work on some of my older tea bags so I pulled this one out of the cupboard this morning as well. I find that the strength of this one isn't all that great so i usually double up on the...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4829 tasting notes
  • “This was the second tea I shared with my friend today. She loved the aroma - it is very rich. The chocolate aspect of this tea is not milk chocolate but rather unsweetened cocoa or one of the...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1811 tasting notes
  • “I tried this again today and it is definitely better with a LONGER steeping time of around 5 minutes, that helps to bring out the flavor. Raised the rating a few points this afternoon. I liked...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2339 tasting notes

From Ambessa (by Harney & Sons)

Starting with an aromatic black tea base, Choco Nut’s hints of dark chocolate, caramel and peanuts reflect my culinary awakening in Switzerland. It’s a rich blend that picks me up in the afternoon, and can even be dessert with a little honey stirred in.
-Marcus Samuelsson

About Ambessa (by Harney & Sons) View company

I love chocolate, and I love tea, but there’s just something about choclate teas that I sometimes just don’t get. When placing my last H&S order, I picked up 3 of the 4 Ambessa teas thoroughly convinced that I probably wasn’t going to like this one. I decided to give it a try because dark chocolate, peanut, and apricot sounded like a potentially awesome mix.

Fast forward three months, and I’m just now trying this out for the first time. I was in a rush to go to a meeting, so I grabbed a bag of tea and my mug, and filled up using the hot water dispenser in the conference room (don’t judge!). The entire meeting I couldn’t help but wonder what ingredient made this tea so damn tasty. See, after three months I’d forgotten why I even decided to order this. As if I needed another sign that my tea hoarding is a problem!

The secret to this tea’s deliciousness is the apricots. They add a sweetness that just works so well with the other ingredients. The chocolate is very subtle in flavor but has a pretty strong aroma. I didn’t taste a strong peanut flavor, but there were definitely some nutty notes. Overall, a tasty tea.

gmathis

At first I thought the apricot thing sounded just plain nuts, but it’s perfect, isn’t it?

Thanks to ashmanra for the sample! I now have a 20-sachet tin of this stuff on order, along with two of the other varieties offered by Harney’s Ambessa Tea. (The Lingonberry Green is out of stock, boo-hoo.) If you go to the Harney’s website, search for the keyword Ambessa to see all 4.

I guess I am a sucker for chocolate teas. This reminds me very much of Florence, which I love. Maybe after I get my tin of this I’ll have a chocolate tasting day between ChocoNut, Florence, and Love Tea #7.

I drank this without any additives like sweetener or milk or cream, and it’s so smooth and rich that it doesn’t need any. It is best before cooling, but I’ll bet it would make an excellent iced tea latte with a bit of agave and some half-and-half.

I left the sachet in the cup and it never got bitter on me. Of course, I drank it pretty quickly…

And the dry tea smells lovely, too.

awww my boss gave me one of her tea bags :)
i get to tell her this is tea # 497.
she will probably be confused. but it will mean i’ll get to talk about tea for maybe 5 min instead of work. so win win!
the tea is very meh. smells way better than it tastes.

(kinda related i had a chocolate peanut butter beer yesterday) https://untappd.s3.amazonaws.com/photo/2013_09_11/4dfa180d4133cc7fd5c56240e8f03191_640x640.jpg

Wonderful aroma and rich dark chocolate and brazil nut flavor, with a fruity apricot undertone. The brazil nut flavor reminds me of Green Mountain’s Rain Forest Coffee. I added half and half and orange blossom honey, and it was a delicious lunchtime dessert! I wouldn’t drink this all the time, but on special occasions when I want to indulge my desire for good chocolaty tea.

ashmanra

I was trying to decide what to get with my Harney order since they are offering free shipping over $25 and the gift I am buying for someone is $20. This is looking like a good choice!

Sipdown, this is a sample from Sil. Thanks!
It is a tasty cup, not something I’d buy, but a tasty treat on a saturday afternoon.

Choco and nut work very nice here(nut flavor is a little bit more dominant here on my palate),plus the tea taste mild,even when I keep the teabag in the cup for more than 10 minutes,it doesn’t go bitter or too much.So I would like to use the same teabag to make a second or a third brew for some longer time,and it works out quite good.

Since it reminded me of a nice cup of chocolate milk or pecan flavored milk when I was a kid,I tried a splash of milk ,and some honey ——but it turned out this blend is best drink plain I think.
Plus,I know there are Calendula officinalis here,from whose Hydrosol I I used to get a lot of chocolate scents~!So maybe I should buy some of this flower alone to try blending some interesting teas .

1 tablespoon for 188 ml

Mild sweet black base. Chocolate flavour coming through. Slight spice flavour. Caramel flavour. Overall very mild flavour.

Thanks to Sil for sharing!

Not only did I defend my thesis proposal today, but Canada won gold in women’s hockey. Best day this year!

Thanks to the fantastical Sil for this! I’ve been curious about Marcus Samuelsson’s blends, seeing that he is… also… a Swedish chef and all. I’m also a fan of chocolatey peanut stuff (Peanut Buster Parfaits are the king) so I’ve been especially interested in this one, and in the lingonbery green too.

Chocolate peanut, eh? I don’t taste peanut in here whatsoever. As a matter of fact, I momentarily forgot this was supposed to have peanuts in it, and get the same vaguely nutty, but mostly chocolatey nuances I get from Florence. That signature Harney chocolate note takes everything over, which is unfortunate because I seem to be one of the few who doesn’t care for it. When I add milk, it’s seriously like Florence. I just finished you a few weeks ago, Florence! Get out of my life, already.

I’m incredibly grateful that I have been able to try this, and have a teabag left still since I’ve been experimenting with it twice now and Sil gave me a few teabags. :)

Sorry, Marcus, no peanuts. I banish thee to Börköarna.

LMAO

MissB

Congrats on defending your thesis!

Courtney

Yes, congrats on the defence. :)

OMGsrsly

YAY! Congratulations!

Kittenna

Congrats on getting through your proposal! Is that along the lines of a comprehensive, or something?

We also won women’s curling gold! A very good day overall, assuming I don’t look outside… (terrible weather. I haven’t left the house!)

Fjellrev

Thanks, all! Kittenna, it was for my Master’s. Finally haha.

I heard they won gold too! But I wasn’t sure when they played. Apparently the men’s final is early tomorrow morning. Let’s gooooooo.