Edit tea info Last updated by Harney & Sons The Store
Boiling 4 min, 45 sec 10 oz / 295 ml

• “Wow. Can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet. I bought it right after they started the Ambessa line - I'm a sucker like that... I didn't like it when I first had it. But in the intervening...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 512 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: I really like this one from Ambessa. I actually enjoyed all of the Ambessa line. This is a good, solid black tea with a lot of heft to it. It is a good breakfast blend because it...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4322 tasting notes
  • “An earthy tea with a light body?! Notes of cooked grains and lemon zing the front of this british legacy black tea. Bright and clean, this tea perks you up without weighing you down. -RA” Read full tasting note
    harneytea 157 tasting notes
  • “Not bad for a breakfast blend. I didn't get the toasted grain or citrusy notes mentioned in the H&S description. Unlike Choco-Nut, I probably won't buy this again but only because it isn't a...” Read full tasting note
    mamamiau 123 tasting notes

From Ambessa (by Harney & Sons)

A robust blend of estate-grown African black teas with a rich aroma, Safari Breakfast embodies my African roots. In the cup it conveys Africa’s fine lineage of outstanding ingredients and vibrant life.
-Marcus Samuelsson

About Ambessa (by Harney & Sons) View company

Wow. Can’t believe I haven’t reviewed this yet. I bought it right after they started the Ambessa line – I’m a sucker like that…

I didn’t like it when I first had it. But in the intervening time, my tea tastes have been changing apparently. I dropped one of the bags in my cup at work a couple of weeks ago when I was in a hurry and didn’t really want to pick a tea from my work stash for the morning – I just wanted some brown leaf juice as gmathis would put it. :) I really liked it. So much so that I’ve worked my way through the whole remaining tin in the last week and a half.

It’s a bold, strong blend that smells wonderful in the cup. I’d easily replace this one if I needed to hit the shipping level though I’m not positive I’d place an order specifically for this one – I just have tons of really good basic black teas, even African ones.

Backlog:

This is a good, solid black tea with a lot of heft to it. It is a good breakfast blend because it will give you what you need to get going. (It’s really good with biscotti!)

Rich, invigorating, and it has that yummy bake-y kind of taste to it. A really good breakfast tea.

TeaBrat

I wish these came in loose leaf…

LiberTEAS

Me too. That’s the main reason that these ambessa teas didn’t get an even higher score from me, because as much as I did enjoy them, I don’t like that they were sachet only.

-RA

TeaEqualsBliss

LOVING all of the new notes and products! Let me know if the Sororitea Sisters can help you out in any way :)

Not bad for a breakfast blend. I didn’t get the toasted grain or citrusy notes mentioned in the H&S description.

Unlike Choco-Nut, I probably won’t buy this again but only because it isn’t a standout.

Anytime I see a new breakfast blend, I always have to give it a try. This time was no different. Especially with a name as exciting as “Safari Breakfast” which to me translates to “before you encounter lions, you’re gonna need a cup of this.” It is a beautifully blended black tea, just as I’ve come to expect from Harney & Sons. Very strong, comparable to most breakfast blends, an all around good cuppa.

Boiling 8 min or more

There is something about African teas that I love. Since I’m new to tea “tasting” (something I consider different from tea drinking) I can’t tell you exactly WHY this tea matches what my tongue wants, but I’ll try. There’s no dryness to this tea….like sometimes wine is too dry for me. Dry translates to a bit bitter to me and I do not like any bitterness in life. In general. Let alone in my tea. This tea also made my nilla wafers seem obsolete. THAT, my friends, is a good sign. There is a wholeness to this without being heavy….others have mentioned “grains”…but I have more to learn before I can throw words like that around. I can tell you that I just ordered a bag of 50 teabags from Harney after only 3 cups…. that’s saying something!

Straightforward, uncomplicated breakfast tea. Some body, no bitterness, and good with milk and sugar. A little earthy, toasty, but no smoke or flavors or nuttiness. As far as I know, this comes only in sachets, but those are handy for travel and for a day spent in long meetings. This is one of my go-to teas for when I’m not in the mood for deliberations about tea, analysis of tea, tea that comes with demands.