Edit tea info Last updated by Harney & Sons The Store
Boiling 4 min, 30 sec 9 oz / 266 ml

• “Wow. Can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet. I bought it right after they started the Ambessa line - I'm a sucker like that... I didn't like it when I first had it. But in the intervening...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 563 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: I really like this one from Ambessa. I actually enjoyed all of the Ambessa line. This is a good, solid black tea with a lot of heft to it. It is a good breakfast blend because it...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4641 tasting notes
  • “An earthy tea with a light body?! Notes of cooked grains and lemon zing the front of this british legacy black tea. Bright and clean, this tea perks you up without weighing you down. -RA” Read full tasting note
    harneytea 157 tasting notes
  • “Not bad for a breakfast blend. I didn't get the toasted grain or citrusy notes mentioned in the H&S description. Unlike Choco-Nut, I probably won't buy this again but only because it isn't a...” Read full tasting note
    mamamiau 123 tasting notes

From Ambessa (by Harney & Sons)

A robust blend of estate-grown African black teas with a rich aroma, Safari Breakfast embodies my African roots. In the cup it conveys Africa’s fine lineage of outstanding ingredients and vibrant life.
-Marcus Samuelsson

About Ambessa (by Harney & Sons) View company

Wow. Can’t believe I haven’t reviewed this yet. I bought it right after they started the Ambessa line – I’m a sucker like that…

I didn’t like it when I first had it. But in the intervening time, my tea tastes have been changing apparently. I dropped one of the bags in my cup at work a couple of weeks ago when I was in a hurry and didn’t really want to pick a tea from my work stash for the morning – I just wanted some brown leaf juice as gmathis would put it. :) I really liked it. So much so that I’ve worked my way through the whole remaining tin in the last week and a half.

It’s a bold, strong blend that smells wonderful in the cup. I’d easily replace this one if I needed to hit the shipping level though I’m not positive I’d place an order specifically for this one – I just have tons of really good basic black teas, even African ones.

Backlog:

This is a good, solid black tea with a lot of heft to it. It is a good breakfast blend because it will give you what you need to get going. (It’s really good with biscotti!)

Rich, invigorating, and it has that yummy bake-y kind of taste to it. A really good breakfast tea.

TeaBrat

I wish these came in loose leaf…

LiberTEAS

Me too. That’s the main reason that these ambessa teas didn’t get an even higher score from me, because as much as I did enjoy them, I don’t like that they were sachet only.

-RA

TeaEqualsBliss

LOVING all of the new notes and products! Let me know if the Sororitea Sisters can help you out in any way :)

Not bad for a breakfast blend. I didn’t get the toasted grain or citrusy notes mentioned in the H&S description.

Unlike Choco-Nut, I probably won’t buy this again but only because it isn’t a standout.

Anytime I see a new breakfast blend, I always have to give it a try. This time was no different. Especially with a name as exciting as “Safari Breakfast” which to me translates to “before you encounter lions, you’re gonna need a cup of this.” It is a beautifully blended black tea, just as I’ve come to expect from Harney & Sons. Very strong, comparable to most breakfast blends, an all around good cuppa.

Boiling 8 min or more

There is something about African teas that I love. Since I’m new to tea “tasting” (something I consider different from tea drinking) I can’t tell you exactly WHY this tea matches what my tongue wants, but I’ll try. There’s no dryness to this tea….like sometimes wine is too dry for me. Dry translates to a bit bitter to me and I do not like any bitterness in life. In general. Let alone in my tea. This tea also made my nilla wafers seem obsolete. THAT, my friends, is a good sign. There is a wholeness to this without being heavy….others have mentioned “grains”…but I have more to learn before I can throw words like that around. I can tell you that I just ordered a bag of 50 teabags from Harney after only 3 cups…. that’s saying something!

This is from The Cookie Lady’s Christmas card. Thank you!!

I wish the website would specify where the leaves came from, but this tastes very Kenyan/Tanzanian. Of course, I drank this plain. The liquor has a lovely burnt orange color – sunrise! Full-bodied, smooth, bold, malty, a hint of honey. It was also somewhat bitter for my taste, but that’s most likely from steeping a bit too long (3 minutes would have sufficed). Absolutely perfect for the morning, as your first cuppa of the day.

205 °F / 96 °C 5 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML
Cameron B.

Yeah, I really hate it that most websites don’t tell you what kind of tea it is… :(

KiwiDelight

Maybe a lot of people aren’t quite at the level as we are as tea enthusiasts.

Here’s Hoping Traveling Teabox Round #3 – Tea #26
I feel like I rate teas like high school grades- under 55 is definitely failing. 75 is okay. 80s are exceptional and 97-100 you are acing the class!
A Harney black tea in a teabag… I’ll give it a try! This one is perfect for breakfast. Robust while not being CTC. The wet leaves really fill up the teabag. Malty, bready, a bit of a bite. A very solid black tea.. almost hints toward the tomato flavor but thankfully the tomato doesn’t fully make an appearance!
Steep #1 // just boiled // 3 min
Steep #2 // half mug // just boiled // 4 min

From the Round 3 Here’s Hoping TTB

Tea of the morning. This is a tea to wake you up! Robust and full bodied, it has a steel cut oats flavor that I enjoyed. This could easily take milk and sugar, but it’s really good plain. No astringency or bitterness. Just a simple dark tea to give you a kick in the pants and send you on your way.

gmathis

Mmm! There’s a grocery store (Whole Foods clone) within occasional driving distance that carries several Ambessa varieties. Wonder if this is one of them…

Cheri

This sounds good.

Veronica

Gmathis- I wish I had a store near me that sold it. All of the tea shops around here are going out of business. :(

Cheri – It’s very nice, and it comes in a tea bag which can be helpful on those mornings when I’m running behind.

gmathis

The store I’m referring to is about an hour south; probably a good thing because it’s too far for me to blow my grocery budget on nothing but tea. Locally, the tea selection is expanding a little (can actually find a few Harney & Sons basics at our Target) but still isn’t as elegant and eclectic as I’d like it to be.

Marzipan

Veronica The Fresh Market has this.

Straightforward, uncomplicated breakfast tea. Some body, no bitterness, and good with milk and sugar. A little earthy, toasty, but no smoke or flavors or nuttiness. As far as I know, this comes only in sachets, but those are handy for travel and for a day spent in long meetings. This is one of my go-to teas for when I’m not in the mood for deliberations about tea, analysis of tea, tea that comes with demands.