Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Harney & Sons The Store

• “Yay! I finally get to try this one! Back when the Ambessa line first came out, Russel generously sent me some of the teas. They were great, but this wasn't available just yet and I really wanted...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1832 tasting notes
  • “Well that's sad that nobody's gotten to this one yet. I've been lusting after it since the Ambessa teas came out. Good lord I love me some Marcus Samuelsson. I once almost attended some Buick event...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1199 tasting notes
  • “sipdown! heh thanks to *fiddling* for this one. I wanted to try this one in the event that i loved it and needed to pick up a tin of it since it is available locally at chapters. I love the...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4942 tasting notes
  • “I've never had a fresh lingonberry, but I do love the preserves that IKEA sells. Lingonberry tea sounded too awesome to pass up. Who could resist the awesomely designed packaging? Unfortunately,...” Read full tasting note
    Fiddling 93 tasting notes

From Ambessa (by Harney & Sons)

Elegant and soothing, this blend balances the fruit-forward notes of my Scandinavian childhood’s lingonberries with the serenity of Japanese sencha green tea, which I’ve come to appreciate in what can be a hectic adulthood.
-Marcus Samuelsson

About Ambessa (by Harney & Sons) View company

Yay! I finally get to try this one! Back when the Ambessa line first came out, Russel generously sent me some of the teas. They were great, but this wasn’t available just yet and I really wanted to try it. Then I put myself on a small buying restriction until I can get some of my tea stash drunk up, but today I got to break my rule.

If I go somewhere like the Fresh Market or A Southern Season or Tin Roof Teas, I allow myself to buy a SMALL amount of tea. I nabbed this one today at The Fresh Market.

I have never had lingonberries, and I don’t think I had even heard of them before this blend. The tin smelled sweet and fruity. And while I am loving the tea, it has thrown me for a loop because no one can smell what I am smelling.

When I poured my cup, right away I thought of cough syrup, eucalyptus, rosemary, or those little cedar berries that are all bumpy. I thought of Mentholatum. I tasted rosemary and eucalyptus, mild and smooth. I handed the cup to my daughters and asked them to smell it. They said it just smells like tea to them. One of them sipped. She said it tasted like something from the yard. I think she means the giant rosemary bush, and doesn’t realize it! Husband said it tasted fruity to him,

Maybe something is wrong with my sense of taste and smell, which wouldn’t be too surprising since I have a stuffy nose.

So does anyone else think lingonberries have a savory aroma like rosemary? I can really see myself craving this tea as a comfort tea when I have a cold or don’t feel well. I must like it pretty well. I am about to finish 20 ounces and I just got started.

TeaBrat

I’ve only had lingonberry jam and it didn’t taste like rosemary from what I recall.

gmathis

We have a Fresh Market just over an hour from us now. Next trip, we are tapping our savings account and taking a cooler ;)

ashmanra

This is the closest Fresh Market we have. It is in Southern Pines, right by Oinehurst, the “golf Capitol of the world.” We usually go to the ones in Raleigh, Chapel Hill, and Cary even though they are farther away, simply because we are in that area more often than Suthern Pines. We often take a cooler so we can buy the wonderful cheeses! Their flowers are magnificent, their produce is gorgeous, and their bakery is drool worthy.

Well that’s sad that nobody’s gotten to this one yet. I’ve been lusting after it since the Ambessa teas came out. Good lord I love me some Marcus Samuelsson. I once almost attended some Buick event here to get to just watch him cook. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-avuddQQwKaY/T3310OgSOAI/AAAAAAAACNE/AR8yGdd6tRI/s1600/edun-pioneers-marcus-samuelsson.jpg You’re welcome.

I love lingonberry flavored things. Especially that drink at IKEA. But I hate the IKEA here so I am now missing out on it. When I got my big H&S order yesterday, I couldn’t help but open this (I’m trying to hold off on everything else though), and oh it just smells sooooo good. And the smell is the same in the cup too, it’s killing me to not be able to drink it because it’s still too hot!

It’s really rather light. I even steeped it for three minutes. The lingonberry flavor is there, but the green tea isn’t. At least hot. Eventually I let it cool off and it’s a lot better cold. Definitely tastes like green tea, and the lingonberry REALLY pops. Nice and tart. Will definitely have to give this a shot cold brewed.

Out of curiosity I checked the menus for Samuelsson’s restaurant in Harlem, a pot of this is $6. I wonder how they make it there! Because if I was given a $6 pot of tea that tasted how this did hot, I would not be very pleased.

Oh also the tin is so nice. I love that it’s matte.

Dinosara

Love that they just announced the Ambessa teas in tagalong tins… I wanted to try this one but didnt want to invest in a whole large tin of it.

Bonnie

Steapshoppe has a tea with lingonberry in it that I like. True you don’t see it often!

Alphakitty

I’ve been waiting for this and Earl of Harlem to be stocked in loose-leaf—I ask every time I visit the H&S store, but so far no luck!

momo

I have a sample of the Steapshoppe one! I just have to figure out where I put it.

I had been waiting for it to be loose leaf too, but if I’m gonna drink sachets I prefer Harney ones so works for now! If I use them up in a normal amount of time, I probably wouldn’t buy more sachets and would wait for it to be loose.

Bonnie

Huh? I only had it loose.

momo

I forgot to add the little @so and so thing before I posted, that was about this particular tea, not the steap shoppe tea.

Ahhh @ I gotcha!

sipdown! heh thanks to fiddling for this one. I wanted to try this one in the event that i loved it and needed to pick up a tin of it since it is available locally at chapters. I love the choco-nut ambessa, but as this one is green, i wasn’t to sure how i’d feel about it. Also, i’ve never had a lingonberry before so yay for new things!

As it turns out, this is a little too “green” for me. It might be interesting as a cold brew but hot, it’s very much a green grassy tea with a hint of a fruity taste that i can’t place, which i assume is the lingonberry. Not a bad tea but nothing i’d kill to have in my cupboard. Thanks again fiddling! appreciate the share!

I’ve never had a fresh lingonberry, but I do love the preserves that IKEA sells. Lingonberry tea sounded too awesome to pass up. Who could resist the awesomely designed packaging?

Unfortunately, I think I prefer the packaging to the tea itself. The flavor of the lingonberry is a bit too artificial for my tastes. It’s quite sweet in a somewhat unappealing cotton candy-like way. The sencha is very vegetal and maybe a bit too grassy to be paired with the lingonberry.

I’m glad I only invested in a tagalong tin. While I’d love to repurpose the full sized tin into something awesome, I don’t think I could have soldiered through all 20 sachets.

JustJames

oh dear! i’ve had that… where i wish the idea and the packaging had been left as my overall impression of the blend, lol.

Backlog:

I don’t think I’ve found a tea quite like this one before … one that focuses only on the Lingonberry. I’ve had a few teas that feature lingonberries in it, but, not one that highlights the lingonberry quite like this. Maybe I’ll have to look at Ikea the next time I’m there to see if they have a lingonberry tea.

I like. Tart, yes, and I’m not usually a fan of tart, but, the tart softens somewhat with the sweetness of the green tea. The berry really brightens the cup. Softly textured, silky. A really good tea … I’ve enjoyed all four of the Ambessa teas!

I had a cup of this yesterday afternoon. Sadly, I wasn’t impressed. It reminded me of a cup of warm water with a little berry flavor in the background. I’m glad that I just bought a tagalong tin of this in my recent Harneys order. I’m going to have to make a cup for the fiancee when he gets home and see if he likes it any better.

-Silken pyramid teabag.
-Teabag smells of green tea and tart berries. Tea liquor aroma is very faintly of sweet berries.
-Tea liquor is a clear medium green color.
-Fresh vegetal green tea flavor and finish. Extremely light tart berry aftertaste.
-Best with sweetener.
-Poor tea. Very weak flavored cup. Tastes like warm water with a faint berry flavor.