Brioche Organic Tea

Almonds, Black Tea, Cinnamon, Safflowers
Butter, Cinnamon, Cream, Pastries, Sugar, Almond, Custard, Vanilla, Maple Syrup, Baked Bread, Nuts, Orange Zest
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Pyroxy

From American Tea Room

Brioche’s astoundingly decadent aroma and flavor make it one of our best sellers. Even the dry leaves perfectly capture the spicy-sweet aroma of a Parisian patisserie with intoxicating, beguiling, tempting aromas of nuts, spices and an unrivaled baked sweet note.

Visually speaking, well-oxidized ebony leaves are contrasted with pale, sliced almonds, bits of cinnamon and vermillion-colored safflower blossoms. The brew is a shimmering rust color.

The aroma and flavor of Brioche are rich, nuanced and reminiscent of hot cinnamon buns, almond croissants, fine black tea and warm brioche with a touch of marmalade. It has an equally enchanting aftertaste that lasts and lasts…

This superbly balanced blend stands on its own as an indulgence, or pairs beautifully with breakfast pastries and fruity after-dinner desserts (such as Linzer tarts).

About American Tea Room View company

The aroma when I opened my sample about knocked me over. With the scents of almond and cinnamon wafting up, I was taken back to the time I spent in Paris wandering thru the little bakeries picking up pastries for breakfast. The blurb that American Tea Room has up about this tea is right on the mark. Visually this is also a very pleasing tea with the black tea leaves being mixed with almond slices and the scarlet of safflower blossoms.

I set up my first cup to brew in my Zarafina Tea-maker set on a medium black setting using 1 teaspoon of leaves. Once brewed the aroma of the almonds and cinnamon persist though they are lighter. I tried my first cup with just a touch of rock sugar and I have to admit that I was disappointed. The tea itself was very smooth but the cinnamon left a bitter aftertaste. Just not my cup of tea.

I am really glad that American Tea Room sends large enough samples that I could play around. For my second cup I used the same settings for brewing but once brewed I added a touch of creamer to go with the rock sugar. Oh my goodness, what a difference. My Brioche tea turned into the perfect desert tea. It was just like eating a cinnamon roll without all the calories. I also tried it with vanilla soy milk and I have to say that I am hooked. This tea is going on my list of order from American Tea Room.

Not sure what I can add to this, since it’s been so heavily reviewed, but here goes! I couldn’t wait to try this, so I ended up steeping some almost right after I opened the package.

Dry leaf scent was sweet, like sugar, and I picked up on cream right away. The tea liquor has those two scents plus butter. First few sips were just the brew, nothing added. Mostly creamy and buttery taste with a very subtle cinnamon note. Next I added milk, which amped up the cream flavor and transformed it into more of a baked good taste. It wasn’t until I added a tiny amount of coconut sugar that the tea fully lived up to it’s namesake. And, yes, it does have flavor reminiscent of a fresh baked pastry. I didn’t get much almond flavor, though I could see the almonds in the blend, I mean, they are right there, but the taste didn’t come through for me. And the strangest thing was that there was no black tea flavor. A tea that doesn’t taste like tea? Interesting.

For Marzipan: how does this compare with Lupicia’s Cookie? Well, they are completely different. Brioche has mostly cream and butter with a hint of cinnamon, and is much more subtle. Cookie is much more aromatic, and has a stronger flavor of sweetness and milkiness .

So, bottom line is I really like this tea, it’s subtle but well-balanced and certainly a great dessert black. I’ll definitely be friends with Brioche, but my heart belongs to Cookie.

UPDATE: brewed some with breakfast this morning, and steeped it longer than the amount recommended. And there it was: almond! The tea is so mild I think it can handle a steep as long as 6 minutes, so I’ll be doing an extended steep time from now on. More flavor that way and I didn’t get any acid or bitterness, either.

Flavors: Butter, Cinnamon, Cream, Pastries, Sugar

Kittenna

I would agree – I found Brioche to be along the same lines as Simpson & Vail’s Almond Sugar Cookie, which I do enjoy, but Cookie is a whole different animal. Stronger base tea, and different flavour entirely, though it’s still a baked goodsy flavour. drools

I finally have a few days off from work. And do you know what I’m going to do? Drink obscene amounts of tea! I’ve missed my tea :( Anyways, I’ve been saving the last of this sample for when I can just enjoy it. I love this tea! It’s sooo good. It reminds me of those cinnamon almonds you get at sporting events or any kind of event, actually. It’s full of cinnamon, almond, and custard flavors. Mmmm :)

Flavors: Almond, Cinnamon, Custard, Sugar

Cheri

Drinking tea is a great way to spend a day off! Enjoy!

KallieBoo!

Thank you! I shall enjoy :D

albertocanfly

You sure do know how to spend your free time!:D

Miss Stephanie was nice enough to send me a sample of this tea. It’s a fairly famous one around here, and I’ve been curious about it for quite some time. I generally love almond and brioche is delicious, of course! So even though I’m not loving flavored teas as much these days, I was still excited to try this. There are some slices of almond mixed in with the tea, along with those tiny red flower petals that seem to be in every flavored black tea lately. Dry, it smells quite lovely and sweet with a definite almond influence.

Honestly, I wasn’t terribly impressed with this when I tried it straight. Sugar helped a bit. But milk (in my case, vanilla soy) is certainly the secret ingredient here, it makes this taste infinitely more pastry-like and buttery. I can definitely taste the almond, but it’s not a marzipan taste, just nutty and buttery almonds. There’s a little dash of cinnamon, and it really adds a lovely dimension to the tea. I’m almost reminded of French toast, but made with brioche of course! I think next time I’ll brew this a little bit stronger so it’ll stand up to the milk better.

Right now I don’t think I would order this, mostly because I don’t tend to reach for flavored teas as much. Also, I haven’t tried anything else from American Tea Room, and I can’t imagine making an order for just one tea unless it was the best tea ever…

Flavors: Almond, Cinnamon, Cream, Custard, Pastries, Vanilla

Stephanie

Glad you enjoyed. I didn’t order any until there was a day they were doing free shipping, because it is the only one I really would ever order from ATR, too :)

I’ve never gotten the baked bread/pastry flavor in a tea until this, and it’s present here in a big way, and deliciously so. The flavor complementarity is a trip because it is so close to a pastry experience. Or Challah with marzipan (as Boychik called it) cinnamon french toast with maple syrup.

Second steep retains the novelty though with the cinnamon picking up the spiciness a bit in the foreground.

While the flavor is wonderful, the overall experience of this tea is a little light. I would score this much higher if the black base had more depth – that would be superb tea. I look forward to experimenting blending this tea in combo with richer blacks since the flavor profile seems strong enough to hold up.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Maple Syrup, Pastries, Vanilla

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

The scent of the dry leaf reminds me of David’s Tea ’ s forever nuts. Taste-wise, it’s a whole different story. I love that I can clearly taste the base. The taste on the tongue is a bit nutty, with cinnamon, it’s good.

But the magic happens when you exhale. All those pastry notes come out to play, and frosting was invited. It’s truly wonderful, like taking a deep breath before the next bite of your warm, sticky cinnamon bun.

mj1851 told me it was "get it in my mouth now* good. Girl, I agree

Ok I’ve just chugged sipped on another cooler cup. Now the taste of the exhale is the taste of the tea altogether. MUST BUY.

mj

I’m so glad you liked it! This was the first American Tea Room tea that I tried and it was by far my favorite. To be honest, the others were a bit a of let down after this one. I’ll be interested to see what you think about them!

This tea is amazing. I drank it with sweetener and frothed milk and it tastes just like a cinnamon roll. Seriously, just like it with the icing and all! So bready and yeasty with cinnamon….mmmmmmmm. How do they do that? This tea is the very best version of having your cake and eating it too because you get to have your breakfast pastry and not get fat.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cinnamon

A sample from VariaTEA. I’ve been wanting to try this for a long time, although I’ve never really had the chance until now. I guess that’s why I’ve been saving my sample! I wanted to wait for a day when I’d have the time to enjoy it. Thankfully, it’s as good as I’d hoped. It smells sweet and nutty straight out of the packet, and this only intensifies as it brews. For a first go, I gave 1 tsp of leaves 3.5 minutes in boiling water, and added a splash of milk. It tastes fabulous — absolutely like a fresh piece of brioche, or an almond croissaint! It’s bready and nutty (almond, mostly), with a hint of milky vanilla sweetness and cinnamon spice. The base is fabulously smooth, and its slight maltiness perfectly complements the bready, sweet notes of the flavouring. It’s one of those great flavoured blacks where it’s hard to tell exactly where the flavouring ends and the base begins. Many thanks to VariaTEA for sharing this one with me. I have enough for a couple more cups, but I’ll be hugely sad when this is gone!

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

T&C TTB#4: This tea. This tea. I knew it would be trouble just from reading the reviews it’s gotten. I kind of dreaded trying it but at the same time, it had to be tried! Yes. It’s as bad as I thought – yet another tea company that I have to add to the list to buy a tea from! :)

This is amazing. Cinnamon-sugar-cream-pastry-wow!

Hahahahaha

Kat_Maria

Yeah, I love it, too!

boychik

For a minute I thought you were serious. I luv this tea

TTBCr2

I’ve had this tea on my wishlist for a while. It sounded amazing. When it showed up in the TTBC, I was super excited.

The dry leaf smelled heavenly. I love brioche bread. Two of my favorite burger joints use brioche for their buns (no cinnamon, etc.) and I love plain brioche as much as with cinnamon. (I hate when they throw raisins in it. Who does that? Why ruin a perfectly wonderful baked good with icky, nasty raisins?) I wasn’t getting a bready scent from the dry leaf, but that seemed okay to me at the time.

Steeped, it smelled nice and cinnamon. Sip. I’m not getting bread. Where’s the bread? Everyone else talked about bread. Is mine broken?

I’m at work, so I replied to a few emails, tracked down a file, sipped again. As it cooled (by no means cold at this point) I was definitely finally starting to get the bready I was looking for. I did some more work, more sips, more heavenly brioche. Yes, this is a cinnamony brioche, but I’m okay with that. Had what was supposed to be a 1 minute conversation with the team lead turn into a 20 minute conversation, and since my mug was almost empty, I now had pretty much cold tea. This tasted like cinnamon toast that has been sitting on the counter long enough to not be warm, but still delicious. Yes. This is exactly what I was looking for. The cooler the tea got, the more bready it got, and the happier Cheri was.

I admit it, at first I was super disappointed with this tea. By the end of the mug, I was very happy. I don’t know how I want to rate it, though, because while I ended happy, I didn’t start there. I’m not sure how I feel about it when I think about it that way. So I’m not going to rate this. I initially removed it from my wishlist, but I think I’ll add it back on. Maybe this tea was older and had been sitting a while, which is why it didn’t have that bread kick at the beginning? Maybe it’s just me. Who knows?

This is why I’m glad I’m participating in these traveling tea boxes.