Ashikubo Sencha

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Shinobi_cha

From American Tea Room

Most senchas are steamed. This gives them the oceanic, grassy flavor for which they are known, However, in a remote area of Shizuoka, Ashikubo Sencha is produced using a very traditional, but completely different, technique: it is wood-roasted. This processing method gives Ashikubo an extraordinary flavor that cannot be found in any other type of sencha.

Broad, matte green leaves with a fruity, fir-like aroma produce a feather-light brew with scents of fruity, green extra virgin olive oil, fresh pinewood, green cornhusks and steamed corn. The flavor has an up-front, big and bold astringency with grainy notes of toasted barley and dried sweet maize. Toasted cashew butteriness and walnut skin astringency round out the aftertaste.

Although Ashikubo Sencha is singular in its flavor, oolong lovers will delight in the unexpected honey orchid undertone and evolving complexity that recall our Bao Zhong and Dong-Ding Oolongs.

About American Tea Room View company

This was the last of the sample. I could see this becoming a semi-regular tea for me.
Not only is it one of the more reasonably priced senchas of this company, but it’s mild (yet not weak) and flavorful.
It does well at different temps, is easy to brew, and would be a very good introduction (in my opinion) to Japanese greens. Thumbs up.

Interesting!! I just found a huge connection between ATR teas and Ito-En teas!
Looks like if you’re interested in Japanese greens from ATR, Ito-en carries the same ones far cheaper! (This seems like more than coincidence… I would guess Ito-en is their supplier)

Check this out:
1) ATR’s “River of Heaven”
And Ito-en’s “Ama-no-gawa”
2) ATR’s “Kabusecha Plum”
and Ito-en’s “Gion”
3) ATR’s “Lavender Sencha”
and Ito-en’s “Lavender Sencha”
4) ATR’s “Yame Gyokuro”
and Ito-en’s “Yame Gyokuro” (Ito-en is $50 cheaper for 2oz!!)
5) ATR’s “Honyama Sencha”
and Ito-en’s “Honyama Sencha” (Ito-en is $25 cheaper for 3 oz!!)
6) ATR’s “Earl Grey Sencha”
and Ito-en’s “Early Grey Sencha”
(The descriptions are almost the same!)
7) ATR’s “Vanilla Hojicha” and Ito-en’s “Vanilla Hojicha”
(Their Genmaicha and Genmaimatcha’s also look the same)

Doesn’t surprise me at all. I suspect they also get some of their blends from SpecialTeas. Since I won’t ever shop with American Tea Room … this is really good information.

Exactly — I was a bit disappointed, because I was still curious to try some of their offerings, but I would never do business with them again. Now I’m happy to know I can find these teas elsewhere (and, at FAR cheaper). After all, it’s not the poor teas’ fault!

Wow, nice find.

It is also interesting how ATR also describes the tea as even more delicious than Ito-en does. I guess you have to give it some verbal “justice” to support such a price difference. This will hardly give them any more credits, especially after their somewhat suspicious ratings of their own tea and personal attacks.

Not that I use the ATR. Ito-en is, not surprisingly, everywhere here in Japan. I am not a big fan of their bottled sencha, but I do enjoy their bottled genmaicha. Only 105 yen!

Thank you for letting us know!

Have you tried any of their loose leaf green teas? I’m curious about a number of their senchas, which look like they are from all different regions and it would be interesting to compare and see if there are big differences…

I have yet to try their loose leaf tea, but I will keep an eye open for them next time I visit a tea vendor or a department store. ..Which reminds me of that I have not seen an Ito-en store here, just their bottles in stores and vending machines. Oh well, I will have a look for them anyway. :)