Grand Yunnan Imperial

Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by Carolyn

From American Tea Room

Grand Yunnan Imperial is a delight of a tea. Its heavily oxidized, near-black leaves are flecked with shimmering golden buds. Their aroma is full, with notes of loam, blackberries, unsweetened chocolate and minerals. Scents of pine smoke, tobacco and ore-rich earth waft from its jewel-toned brew. Relish in its seductive flavors of smoky pine and honey-drizzled blackberries.

About American Tea Room View company

I think i’m a fan of this one. it’s malty but smokey…most of the yunnan’s that i’ve tried have only been malty. I like that this one isn’t a smokey keemun, but it’s similar…so of course in went the maple syrup. It’s not an out of this world sort of tea but i’d drink it again :)

Terri HarpLady

So far I’ve enjoyed the American tea room teas I’ve tried (from you, in the BBBB).

Thank you, Sil, for making my morning!
I woke up groggy & I kind of feel like my body is fighting something off, but I have things to do, so I wanted something bold & rich, & here it is! I’ve enjoyed all of the teas that I’ve tried from American tea room.This one has a brightness to go with the earthiness, a nicely balanced tea that I would drink with breakfast any day! MOAR!!! I want Moar!

YAY! glad you liked it. I like that the sample sizes ATR provides are pretty decently sized given they’re a wee bit more expensive than other tea samples i’ve picked up from other places.

The tea presents a dark brown liquor. It has a strong malty smell with notes of leather and fruit and the barest hint of smoke. It brews into a powerful wake-up tea with a bitter back note combined with maltiness and a very slight sweetness. It’s not really for me except for those few mornings where I need something truly powerful to wake me up.

2089 tasting notes

Thanks for this one from the sale, Ost! I wasn’t expecting much from this one, as the rating is so low. But this one is a winner to me. The leaves are medium sized (if the small sized leaf is considered CTC, I guess). Mostly black with flashes of gold, to the leaf color. A strong, deep, dark classic Yunnan. Heavy notes of hay, malt, unsweetened chocolate. I love it. There is some depth to the flavor here. Two solid steeps. One serving left.
Steep #1 // 1 1/2 teaspoons for a full mug// few minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 3-4 minute steep

Thank you Ost for this sample. This tea is strong and malty. It is fairly tasty but not spectacular. I am glad to have tried it but don’t think I would buy it. It does have a nice kick for the morning. I let it get somewhat cold as I was busy doing other things instead of drinking it. It might have been better had it not gotten colder.

I brewed this once with approx 3 tsp leaf iin an 18oz teapot with 200 degree water for 3 min.

Flavors: Malt

Nope. Nope. Nope. Not for me. 0_0
Just another black tea that’s too strong and overwhelming for me 0_0
Glad this was a sample! XD