Big Red Robe

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Geoffrey Norman

From American Tea Room

Big Red Robe, also known as Da Hong Pao, is one of the world’s most famous oolongs. Grown and harvested on the remote Wuyi Mountain cliffs, it is a rare treasure to savor. Big Red Robe’s big, long, dark leaves are gently twisted and profusely aromatic. Their full fragrances range from nutty and roasty to mineral, woodsy and fruity. The brew’s aroma is assertive and rich, with notes of charred grilling planks and stewed apples. Its dark caramel liquor is complexly woodsy. Notes of dried wood, charred wood, fallen leaves and cracked walnut shells are backed with malt, an apricot-citrus tone, light astringency and the distinctive spiced wood note of fine Japanese incense. The big flavor of its rounded, astringent finish fades slowly. Later infusions are sweeter and fruitier than the first. This dark, heavily oxidized Wuyi oolong is a natural accompaniment for foods like cedar-plank-grilled tilapia, grilled peaches misted with balsamic vinegar, pecan pie drizzled with warm cream, or poached pears with caramelized nuts.

About American Tea Room View company

Preparing Christmas tea packages pretty much wiped me out of all my good black teas. This leaves me with some whites, a few greens, and a plethora of oolongs. So, I’m starting to dent the latter. It’s been awhile since I’ve revisited this Da Hong Pao, mainly because I have so many “red robes” at the moment. All so much red tape, really….but I digress.

I didn’t pay too much attention to temperature, but prepped it at the recommended two minutes. It came out as smokey as I remembered, but a bit higher on the fruit notes. I owe this in part to the slightly higher water temp. I actually enjoyed it better than the first time I tried it.

Initial Review Here: http://www.teaviews.com/2010/05/28/review-american-tea-room-big-red-robe-oolong-3/

Steeped it has a strong nutty scent.

Taste-wise, it has a nice roasted taste and a faint buttery sweetness. The finish is about medium in length and pleasant.

well, i haven’t really liked most of the Da Hong Paos i’ve ever tried, but i like this one a bit better. mind you i’m only on the first steep, and it tastes smoky and dusty and dry, just like the others i’ve tried, but this one at least has some depth to it, am looking forwarded to future steepings….