Coconut Oolong

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Frolic

• “There are iced teas that taste pretty good but as I drink them (and maybe as they warm slightly) they become overwhelming. Not bitter or astringent or anything, just _too much_, and I have to stop...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2058 tasting notes
  • “This is the first tea I’ve had today. It’s sad when you are too busy to drink tea. Oh well, will have to get caught up tomorrow. Thanks ifjuly for sending me...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 800 tasting notes
  • “interesting.... american tea room, what exactly are you doing? if i don't miss my mark ifjuly is in a sassy mood and is deliberately choosing provocative samples to send my way, lol!!! first,...” Read full tasting note
    JustJames 379 tasting notes
  • “So it seems I'm a big sucker for coconut bao zhongs/pouchongs as I love this in a guilty pleasure lap-it-up kind of way exactly as I did for Golden Moon's. I think I possibly prefer Golden Moon's...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 613 tasting notes

From American Tea Room

An oolong is the perfect middle ground for the blending of delicate flavors and our Coconut Oolong proves the rule. Beginning with a Taiwanese Bao Zhong oolong, then adding the essence of roasted coconut, we’ve achieved a delightful tropical melody reminiscent of the Polynesian islands. The large, curled, blue-green leaves of the oolong base impart a creamy body but a light floral headiness with notes of orchid and narcissus. Without the intense vegetal quality of a green tea, notes of sweet grass and vanilla linger. Then, the decadent flavor of freshly roasted coconut shines through, as if you’d taken it right out of the oven. The richness of caramel and a hint of orange blossom finish this treat with a taste and aroma that will satisfy your most discerning indulgences.

About American Tea Room View company

2058 tasting notes

There are iced teas that taste pretty good but as I drink them (and maybe as they warm slightly) they become overwhelming. Not bitter or astringent or anything, just too much, and I have to stop drinking them before I reach the end. This was one of those teas. It turned out pretty well, but it was a little too much. Probably would go for half the leaf for a cold steep and have it be lighter.

Please keep things friendly and .

Thanks ifjuly for sending me this sample. I was quite excited to see coconut oolong in the package you sent. I had just written in a thread that coconut bongo was my favorite flavored oolong, when I took my fist sip of this. First thought, hmmm that might have been a lie, this is really good. BUT it was scorching hot, all I got was creamy coconut goodness. When it cooled to a more drinkable temp, I got hit over the head with foral oolong. ewwwwww – not grassy but clover floral – good bye coconut. Once it had cooled to lukewarm, the coconut reemerged but there was still some lingering floral. :((
I think this is probably a decent coconut oolong for most people, but sorry it’s too floral for my tastes.

ifjuly

ooooh i didn’t think about that (i forget to, since i love that kind of oolong)! alas. i have a feeling then my three fave coconut oolongs would all be disappointing to you as they’re all bao zhong-based, i think (maybe zen tea’s isn’t, not sure). oops!

Dexter

I’m actually drinking the second steep right now – I lowered temp (not something I would normally do on a 2nd steep) and lessened steep time. so 75C for 2.5 min – something like that. This is better, it’s still floral – but more generic flower. There is a certain something in some oolongs that reminds me of clover. This had a lot of that, but 2nd seems to be toned. Next time I drink this am going to adjust a bit – will see what happens. It’s all good – interesting experience.

Fjellrev

That’s really good to know. I’m looking for a very coconutty oolong and was wondering if this would be the answer. The price is a bit of a turn off. Now I know not to expect too much consistent coconut.

TranquiliTea81

I’m interested in finding a good coconut oolong too, I had thought about ordering this one, glad I read your review first, especially with the price…. I think I will pass on that one, because I’m looking for a strong, all coconut, all the time flavor.

Please keep things friendly and .

interesting…. american tea room, what exactly are you doing? if i don’t miss my mark ifjuly is in a sassy mood and is deliberately choosing provocative samples to send my way, lol!!!

first, this did NOT look like an oolong to me…. green curls made me think think of another sinensis. second, it smelled very much like bakery coconut. meh. we would see.

what this blend is is GREEN!??!!!! a lightly roasted tasting green-esque tea, NOT a bakery coconut (the smell was lying) more like a green/fresh coconut! light but nutty. not overpowering…. the coconut has a round taste as opposed to the stabbing sharpness that any green fruit has the potential to have.

there is an indefinable floral that is very mild. as it cools, the coconut itself takes on the toasted flavour.

hmmmmm….. american tea room and ifjuly being sassy in a tree!!!

don’t know if i’d buy, but it caught my attention!

JustJames

holy sassy anna!! lol

Anna

I can’t help it. EVERY time someone says ‘sassy’, that’s what I hear in my head. It’s an AFFLICTION!

lololol

Please keep things friendly and .

So it seems I’m a big sucker for coconut bao zhongs/pouchongs as I love this in a guilty pleasure lap-it-up kind of way exactly as I did for Golden Moon’s. I think I possibly prefer Golden Moon’s slightly—should do a side-by-side at some point perhaps—but they’re both tasty treats. This one seems slightly sweeter/dessert-ier maybe while Golden Moon’s tastes more like fresh coconut water. I’d definitely reorder either.

Please keep things friendly and .

Thanks ifjuly for this sample in our Fall Exchange! I was quite surprised by this tea. Upon opening it smelled very sweet and like dessert. Turns out to be a bit smoother than expected and does not need sweetener. It smells way sweeter dry than brewed, so don’t be scared. I didn’t expect the coconut to shine thru but it did! Not too much thou, just right. I’m tempted to try the Golden Moon that ifjuly mentions too.

If I was ordering from American I’d add some on this in.

Aw, I’m really glad you like it! (:

ifjuly

oh, and i’m sure i’ve said this a zillion times, but the golden moon is good too if you like coconut, but different—it has a cleaner, brighter/fresher coconut flavor, less creamy.

OMG!

This tea is amazing. Really the only thing keeping me from giving it a 100 is the price. It’s creamy and smooth but not overpowering. I can’t believe I’m the first person to review it. If you like coconut you will love this tea even if you’re not a huge oolong fan(though I do adore oolongs).

I was in a motorcycle accident on Sunday and I’m all fuzzy headed from the concussion and pain meds. It’s the perfect tea to keep me warm while I ice my back. I’m not even bothering to ration it any more(I only got a sample due to the price) because I think I deserve something good when I hurt this bad.

Angrboda

Gosh! I hope it was less dramatic than it sounds. O.o Take it easy and heal quick.

Please keep things friendly and .

Outstanding. A delicious coconut – not subtle, not overpowering. I expected a more artificial coconut taste, but I was pleasantly surprised. The blend is wonderful. With a bit of milk, so good.

Please keep things friendly and .

I chose this as a good intro to oolong, and it is so delicious. By itself or with a shot of coconut milk, it has a perfectly authentic coconut flavor that is a great complement to the oolong.

Please keep things friendly and .

GRANDIOSE 1000TH TASTING NOTE! RIGHT HERE. RIGHT NOW.

It’s been a busy past few days, and here I am sipping on the last ATR sample in my arsenal. I am sadly going to only enjoy one steep this first time because the leaves have already been dumped since we’ll be flying the coop to the other place soon. Collect garbage, clean now!

The dry leaf is dangerously creamy. Velvety coconut, which goes with the creamy coconut conditioner my curly hair just soaked up. Coconut heaven! I don’t see any coconut shreds in the mix, so perhaps it’s only infused with the flavour?

This first steep is an absolute dream. Very heavy on the creaminess and the room is saturated in its lovely coconut aroma. The coconut doesn’t taste rancid or off at all. Lightly toasty but not too much. My mom, who is also enjoying a cup, comments that she especially picks up on the floral notes. Orchid-like more than anything else. It’s just so damn rich in flavour. I’ll have to see what the second steep will be like next time.

As lovely as it is, I’m not sure if I could justify the price. At one steep, these two cups we are both drinking cost $2 per cup. :/ I’d have to resteep the pants off of it in order to justify it, and I’ll admit that I rarely steep oolongs more than twice, even. Let’s not even talk about using this for cold brews. Maybe I’d consider getting more if/when our dollar reaches parity with USD again, because even the 20% off sales barely cover that difference/makes it worthwhile.

congrats on 1000!!!

scribbles

Congrats on milestone!!! :)

CrowKettle

Congrats! Sounds like the perfect milestone commemoration tea, or maybe that’s the coconut oolong bias showing :)

OMGsrsly

Yay 1000!!

leaf in hot water

CAD is depressing me too, i can’t satisfy my online retail urges…argh

OMGsrsly

leaf in hot water, there’s a thread in the forums about Canadian tea companies! (I’m here to enable…)

leaf in hot water

oops also wanted to say, congrats!! thats a lotta tea – 1000 cups!

leaf in hot water

haha thanks OMGsrsly :) i will check it out!

Roswell Strange

Congrats on 1000! May

Roswell Strange

**May the rest of the year bring 1000 more!

Mikumofu

Whoo! 1000!!

Indigobloom

Muchos congrats!

Please keep things friendly and .

My only comparison is Golden Moon’s Coconut Pouchong, which didn’t suit me at all. All I tasted there was a perfumey, inescapable coconut that lingered on my cup, measuring spoon, and I think entire kitchen all day. This is quite different. I taste a green, floral oolong with a light, warm, coconut overlay. I’m still not sure how I feel about flavored oolongs, but if I’m going to own one, it will be this one. It’s a light, balanced, complex cup, and I’m enjoying it quite a bit! UPDATE: I received this again as a sample and am really enjoying it. I went to review it (as better than the others I’ve tasted) when I discovered I already had. I suspect I like it better because the first sip was immediately after a bite of yogurt with honey, which works really well with it. Maybe I should consider stocking this after all.

pyarkaaloo

sorry to hear the Coconut Pouchong didn’t suit you. i personally love coconut, so i suppose it was no deterrent for me. one thing which struck me though, is how delicate the tea flavor is! (if you can see past the coconut..) did u find that to be the case? that it was especially delicate? not sure what ‘inherently oolong’ characteristics i was able to pick up.

Flowery

pyarkaaloo, I’m not sure I tasted much oolong at all in the Golden Moon version, unfortunately, though I probably didn’t taste all that carefully after being overwhelmed by coconut. Maybe I just need to blend my own ‘hint of coconut’ oolong. ;)