Organic Wu Yi Rare Orchid

Origin: Wu Yi Mtn., Fu Jian Province
Season: Spring
Leaf Form: Full leaves
Organic Cert: USDA, EU 2092/91

Wu Yi Qi Lan, or Wu Yi Rare Orchid in English, presents a balanced combination of full vibrant orchid aromas and toasted almond fragrances. The mildly fermented leaves create for a clear, bright colored golden infusion. This tea is effortlessly smooth. It does a wonderful job in representing many of the well known characteristics for which Wu Yi Mountain teas have become famous.

Tasting Profile
Leaf: Deep fermented, curled leaves
Infusion: Bright colored golden infusion
Aroma: Orchid and toasted almonds
Taste: Effortlessly smooth, smoky and sweet

About Andao View company

Alright, I’m not caffeinated as of yet and I’m feeling unmotivated. I think I’m fighting off yet another cold, which is infuriating. I usually only get sick once a year, in the spring, so it’s already annoying enough that I was sick two weeks ago. Now my roommate is hacking up several lungs and I think I’m starting to also.

Even though I’m being lazy I want to log this ASAP. I should have just done it as I was drinking, but I didn’t so oh well. These are essentially just the tasting notes I took.

water heated until small bubbles began to rise.
dry leaf-sweet and slightly toasty
wet leaf-roasty, smoky?

1- 3minutes.Should have given more time, leaves, or higher temperature. Pleasant, but I think it’s a bit weaker than it should be. Smoky, but not overwhelmingly so, and sweet in the sense of dried fruit. Slight astringency. Pleasantly toasty aftertaste. A gulp as opposed to a sip gives a slightly floral quality in the aftertaste. Either I’m getting used to it or the smokiness mellows as the liquor cools. Sweeter. As I get to the bottom of the cup it smells sugary and roast-y.

2-4minutes30seconds. More blended flavors. Equally sweet and smoky. Really pleasant. There’s a flavor I can’t quite place. Nuttiness, maybe? Kind of weak, I’ll need to increase time for the next infusion.

3-6minutes30seconds. Predominantly sweet with hints of smokiness. Probably last good steep, but may be able to get one more.

4-8minutes30seconds. Weak, but drinkable. Sweet with a faint whisper of smoke.

Enjoyable, but I think it needs tweaking. I think there was something else trying to come through in the first or second steep that needs different preparation.

Interesting, smoky, sweet. A complex leaf. Another winner from Andao.