Malt, Chocolate, Raisins, Cocoa
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “Sipdown! (181) Since i'll be away from my cupboard for a few days and don't feel like going through the hassle of packing up a tea basket and such since i'm only bringing a small suitcase, i'm...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4875 tasting notes
  • “I get my vanilla from Penzey's, & when you get to the bottom of the vanilla bottle, there is harp of a vanilla bean in there. The main thing I used vanilla for is almond flour pancakes, so I...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2915 tasting notes
  • “I'm drinking this today basically because cats are jerks. Mine woke me up 5 times this morning by meowing in the hallway. Every time I came out she ran into our room for purrs and cuddles, and then...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1680 tasting notes
  • “OMG! I am completely in love with this tea! Yes ... yes ... yes! (Imagine Meg Ryan in probably her most popular scene ever there) As I am sitting here slurping on this tea, I tried to think...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4366 tasting notes

From Andrews & Dunham Damn Fine Tea

By now, it should be abundantly clear that we’re suckers for a nice Assam tea. And why not? Thomas has done nothing but impress, and the Captain still draws us in with his lengthy yarns. (Where’s he been lately, anyway?)

We are delighted to offer you this Tiger, our latest Assam tea. It’s resilient yet refined, gentle yet ass-kicking, crouching yet leaping. Prepare it any way you like and it’ll taste great. Forget it on the counter? Brew it a little hastily in a travel mug? It’ll still taste great. Tigers are like that. They don’t get discouraged. They don’t have off days. They deliver 100% tiger, at all times.

Tigers don’t tolerate weak tea, nor should you.

We like to brew this black tea from Assam for four minutes in boiling water. It’s great first thing in the morning. Or after breakfast, maybe with a little milk and a friendly chat. Over brew it a bit and mix in some ice after lunch. Think about trying another beverage with dinner, tigers need their sleep after all.

About Andrews & Dunham Damn Fine Tea View company

Andrews & Dunham knows that nothing beats a perfect cup of tea, and a great tea needs no explanation. We love the romance of tea. We love that tea might just be the healthiest thing you’ll ever drink. But if the tea you’re drinking doesn’t taste fantastic, you’re missing out. Only a few teas meet our mysterious, rigorous standards and we’re proud to offer them to you. We’re always looking for that perfect cup, so you don’t have to.

This is a big, bold Assam that doesn’t waste time trying to be subtle – very tiger-like. It has that characteristic malt flavour that leaves an aftertaste on my tongue that makes me think of burnt sugar. It’s a bit on the astringent for me to be really wild about this one and oddly enough it doesn’t seem to go well with milk, which is unusual for this type of tea.

I’ve tried other Assams that I liked more, if I’m honest. I might be alone in my opinion given other people’s ratings, but I’d consider this to be a good, but not fantastic tea.

Smooth, hefty assam that is not very malty. Maintains nice flavor with milk and sugar, but not so bold that it needs those things to take the edge off. Not super complex, but smooth and refined. Good wake up tea!

I bought the 3 tin pack of this, Mount gray and Double Knit, and at first I was worried it seems like a lot of tea… But I’ve slowly been going through it and am actually almost out of this one. I’ve found it to be a good tea to brew in the morning and carry along iced for throughout the day. It’s pretty strong but has nice flavor and is a nice pick me up in the afternoon. I have been having it everyday and I think it’s really grown on me.

Last night, the hubs and I went out for curry at a Thai restaurant we frequent. I had some of my veggie Massaman curry left over, so I brought it home and am having it for lunch today, along with this tea.

I had thought about chai with my curry, but decided I needed a plain tea that wouldn’t compete with the spices in the curry. Frothed some splenda and almond-coconut milk while the Assam brewed, and then combined for a nice malty latte. Perfect with my lunch.

This is good. Really good. Makes a smooth, bold cuppa. I usually don’t drink black tea’s without adding a splash of milk, but this one I like without adding anything.

The fellas at Andrews & Dunham seemed so damn sure of their product at the 2013 NY Coffee & Tea Festival that I felt compelled to purchase a canister of their Tiger Assam. When I brew a pot at home, this sassy cuppa can’t be contained to a single serving. Bold as the stripes of its namesake, it’s the “Kick-Ass” in “Assam”. Enjoy it straight, without creamer or sweetener. The only thing that would enhance its awesomeness is if you play “Eye of the Tiger” while you’re steeping it.

Swap from Cavocorax.
So even though I have lots of other stuff I should be trying first, I’ve wanted to try this one too much to resist now that I have some in my stash.
Can’t comment on the dry smell since all I was getting was the scents that were clinging to the plastic bag.

I wasn’t sure how much I should use so I did my usual 1.5 tsp for my 12oz cup.
Sipping it I get an almost bitter-ish taste that’s not bitter persay, but similar. Sharp and woodsy. Maybe a bit spicy. With an astringency that’s there and vaguely unpleasant, but not enough to bother me overly much. Definitely tiger-ish. Lol!

Maybe my palate just isn’t appreciative of Assams since, well, I’m kinda not blown away by this. It’s a nice tea to be sure, but I’m thinking it’s just not my thing. I have a feeling that Assams are not my thing since I’ve never really fallen head over heels for any of the ones I’ve tried. They’re just alright, and I’d drink one if that’s all that was there, but I’d likely reach for something else given the option.

Thanks so much to Cavo for sending me this. I’m glad I was able to try it instead of having to buy a whole 4.4oz container of it then ending up not liking it as much. Though I’m sure there’s plenty of people here who would take it off my hands. XD

Edit: Did a second steep at 5min/approx 10oz water. It was alright. Generally more mellow than the first brew. Definitely not as bitey. I almost like this one better than the first brew. Lol!

Butiki Taste Testing Traveling Tea Box – Tea #3
I haven’t been writing as many tasting notes as I’ve been sipping a ton of unnamed things from the Butiki teabox that I can’t write tasting notes for. Many good teas there! I’m planning on mailing the teabox on Wednesday. For a name like ‘tiger’, this one ain’t that tough. This one isn’t biting. It’s very good tea, nice flavor, but sometimes I want my assam stronger. The leaves are very fresh tasting somehow. It is a very nice breakfast tea though. Perfect with pancakes. The second steep I accidentally steeped for over ten minutes and it tasted exactly like the first cup. I love that it doesn’t get that oversteeped leaves taste, but this one is just a kitten. I’d stock this in my cupboard to fit in the ‘light assam’ category.
Steep #1 // few minutes after boiling // 3 min steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 10+ minutes (accidentally)

Veronica

Love this one with pancakes!

Tea Sipper

Oh it was the perfect choice this morning then. :D

This is a good Assam blend, that would be especially nice for someone who likes the fruity, malty spectrum of Assam’s, and that like to take their tea with milk. It has a fair bit of tannins and moderate astringency so it is a good match for rich foods such as a fry up.

The dry leave are dark to chocolate coloured thin blades scattered with golden tips and smell of raisins and chocolate.

I have brewed this tea twice, both times at around 95*C for 3 minutes.

The first time I used 1 TSP per 225 ml. I found this to be a little bit too much leaf for me so I reduced it to about 3/4 TSP the second time.

The broth is a mahogany toned red.

Using 1 tsp resulted in a scent that is very fruity with cherry and citrus notes. Also present were spice, malt, pastry, milk chocolate and a hint of almond tones.

The tea tastes much heavier than it smells. Malt and cocoa are the first tones, followed by cinnamon with a hint of nutmeg and finishing with citrus opening up to cherry almond tone. There is a hint of a light floral if you hold the tea at the front of the mouth and allow air to move over it. The texture created by tannins and astringency are a little too strong to create a biscuit tone. The tea lends itself well to milk and would complement a fry up ( big greasy breakfast) quite well. As it cools the dark cherry and bitter malt tones blend more elegantly together with the cool floral note appearing lightly on top of it. This is a nice and robust tea and quite strong. Brewed this way this is a nice blend for those who like robust, heavily malty, fruity Assam’s. The tannins really coat your tongue, with this tea.

The tea resteeps nicely with citrus note intensifying and the tea tasting sweeter and and a little spicier.

Using 1 /4 less leaf, the first steep is much sweeter, with stronger cocoa notes and less bitter malt. The tea remains fruity, but the cherry note is less apparent. The flavours blend together well and are less distinct than when more leaf is used. The tannins and astringency are still quite apparent. A sweet tone with tinge of caramel is first apparent over cocoa and malt, with the flavour finishing with spice and a slightly tart fruit tone balanced by warm berry tone.

I must thank both Sil and boychik for their generous samples of this tea. It is a nice blend and makes a nice breakfast tea.

1 tsp 8 OZ / 225 ML
boychik

What a review. I think I’m going to read it not once :)

looseTman

“It has a fasir bit of tannins and moderate astringency …”
“The texture created by tannins and astringency are a little too strong …”
“This is a nice and robust tea and quite strong.”
“The tannins and astringency are still quite apparent.”
Not to be consumed before breakfast on an empty stomach!

yyz

Probably not a good idea if you are intolerant!

TheTeaFairy

Well luckily, I’m not and I’ll take this baby on an empty stomach any given day :-)

yyz

Neither am I, thank goodness as I’ve had times where I’ve existed on nothing else but caffeine:). No food for 16 plus hours, or pushing past those moments you’re so tired you’re freezing…etc

looseTman

I’ve been a tea lover all my life and haven’t had any such issues. However, this Assam, on that day, wasn’t a good idea on an empty stomach. I suspect it was me as I had heartburn for a couple of days afterwards.

Delicious! Thank you Boychik!

So bold, yet not too astringent or bitter in any way.

I’ve been so impressed with all of the Damn Fine teas so far. It seems you really can’t go wrong with them! Not sure which has been my favorite so far…maybe the Spring Keemun.

boychik

Oh I’m do glad you like them. I’m very happy with A&D. I’d say I drank Caravan the most. Just ordered a new tin;)

boychik

Spring is different fro other Keemans I tried( not too many). I like saltiness in it.

Stephanie

I almost tried Caravan today…it was a toss up between these two!

boychik

It’s excellent breakfast tea. I wouldnt sample it without food.