Malt, Sweet, Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Earth, Raisins, Chocolate, Cocoa
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “Sipdown! (181) Since i'll be away from my cupboard for a few days and don't feel like going through the hassle of packing up a tea basket and such since i'm only bringing a small suitcase, i'm...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5583 tasting notes
  • “I get my vanilla from Penzey's, & when you get to the bottom of the vanilla bottle, there is harp of a vanilla bean in there. The main thing I used vanilla for is almond flour pancakes, so I...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3091 tasting notes
  • “I'm drinking this today basically because cats are jerks. Mine woke me up 5 times this morning by meowing in the hallway. Every time I came out she ran into our room for purrs and cuddles, and then...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1708 tasting notes
  • “OMG! I am completely in love with this tea! Yes ... yes ... yes! (Imagine Meg Ryan in probably her most popular scene ever there) As I am sitting here slurping on this tea, I tried to think...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4787 tasting notes

From Andrews & Dunham Damn Fine Tea

By now, it should be abundantly clear that we’re suckers for a nice Assam tea. And why not? Thomas has done nothing but impress, and the Captain still draws us in with his lengthy yarns. (Where’s he been lately, anyway?)

We are delighted to offer you this Tiger, our latest Assam tea. It’s resilient yet refined, gentle yet ass-kicking, crouching yet leaping. Prepare it any way you like and it’ll taste great. Forget it on the counter? Brew it a little hastily in a travel mug? It’ll still taste great. Tigers are like that. They don’t get discouraged. They don’t have off days. They deliver 100% tiger, at all times.

Tigers don’t tolerate weak tea, nor should you.

We like to brew this black tea from Assam for four minutes in boiling water. It’s great first thing in the morning. Or after breakfast, maybe with a little milk and a friendly chat. Over brew it a bit and mix in some ice after lunch. Think about trying another beverage with dinner, tigers need their sleep after all.

About Andrews & Dunham Damn Fine Tea View company

Andrews & Dunham knows that nothing beats a perfect cup of tea, and a great tea needs no explanation. We love the romance of tea. We love that tea might just be the healthiest thing you’ll ever drink. But if the tea you’re drinking doesn’t taste fantastic, you’re missing out. Only a few teas meet our mysterious, rigorous standards and we’re proud to offer them to you. We’re always looking for that perfect cup, so you don’t have to.

This is a big, bold Assam that doesn’t waste time trying to be subtle – very tiger-like. It has that characteristic malt flavour that leaves an aftertaste on my tongue that makes me think of burnt sugar. It’s a bit on the astringent for me to be really wild about this one and oddly enough it doesn’t seem to go well with milk, which is unusual for this type of tea.

I’ve tried other Assams that I liked more, if I’m honest. I might be alone in my opinion given other people’s ratings, but I’d consider this to be a good, but not fantastic tea.

Smooth, hefty assam that is not very malty. Maintains nice flavor with milk and sugar, but not so bold that it needs those things to take the edge off. Not super complex, but smooth and refined. Good wake up tea!

I bought the 3 tin pack of this, Mount gray and Double Knit, and at first I was worried it seems like a lot of tea… But I’ve slowly been going through it and am actually almost out of this one. I’ve found it to be a good tea to brew in the morning and carry along iced for throughout the day. It’s pretty strong but has nice flavor and is a nice pick me up in the afternoon. I have been having it everyday and I think it’s really grown on me.

Last night, the hubs and I went out for curry at a Thai restaurant we frequent. I had some of my veggie Massaman curry left over, so I brought it home and am having it for lunch today, along with this tea.

I had thought about chai with my curry, but decided I needed a plain tea that wouldn’t compete with the spices in the curry. Frothed some splenda and almond-coconut milk while the Assam brewed, and then combined for a nice malty latte. Perfect with my lunch.

This is good. Really good. Makes a smooth, bold cuppa. I usually don’t drink black tea’s without adding a splash of milk, but this one I like without adding anything.

The fellas at Andrews & Dunham seemed so damn sure of their product at the 2013 NY Coffee & Tea Festival that I felt compelled to purchase a canister of their Tiger Assam. When I brew a pot at home, this sassy cuppa can’t be contained to a single serving. Bold as the stripes of its namesake, it’s the “Kick-Ass” in “Assam”. Enjoy it straight, without creamer or sweetener. The only thing that would enhance its awesomeness is if you play “Eye of the Tiger” while you’re steeping it.

Thanks to Skulleigh for sending this along in our recent swap, because I’ve really been wanting to try it and I definitely need some ass-kicking, waking up today!

So I’ve been reading the reviews with some amusement this morning. Some people claim it’s too strong for some and I’m not sure it’s strong enough, lol…. It definitely has a nice malty flavor with a tannic, punchy kick in the finish that’s mellowed out by a touch of coconut sugar and milk.

I’ve had a lot of assams and I don’t think this is anything special, especially not for the price. The Organic assam from H & S is $11.50 for 8 oz. and is a better tea in my opinion. I was more a fan of the Red Tailed Hawk, which is smoother and has a really unique flavor profile. I’m glad I tried this though, it is a decent assam and nice with my morning Irish oats.

Skulleigh

You’re welcome! I think A&D’s secret is pretty much awesome packaging/graphic design, which enhances tea that’s pretty good, lol. It’s not inferior tea or anything, it’s just that the packaging makes me enjoy it enough to keep buying it. Which is strange, because normally I don’t like that kind of marketing!

TeaBrat

I agree…. their branding is really good :)

Cameron B.

I’ll be interested to hear how the Holiday Blend is! I’m sad that I didn’t try/get any of the Oktoberfest since it got rave reviews.

boychik

There are days when i love it, and sometimes its OK. I think it all depends on a mood ;) In general i love A&D. not because of tins ;)

Backlog:
I was saving this for a special occasion. And so I thought that I’d take it to my grandpa’s birthday with me in a travel mug. I was so excited because i remember LOVING the sample Boychik sent me, and was eager to use up the rest of my sample.
But.
I started steeping this tea, then had to go talk to my mum about something, and right in the middle of our conversation I remembered.
My tea.
0_0
I ended up over-steeping it for like 3 minutes…which doesn’t seem like much, but it was so bitter. I tasted a little maltiness, which made me even more sad to know how much I missed out on. And I didn’t even get to re-steep this one because I had to go out to my gpa’s b-day party.
Oh…it was such a heartbreaking day…
I look forward to the day where I will finally pick some up! Really enjoyed this one in the past, and sad I couldn’t enjoy it more. :(

Mikumofu

Forgetting about a steeping tea is always a tragedy :(

Fjellrev

Hate when that happens!

Lindsay

Awww, been there. So sad!

bother me if you ever want a little bit to tie you oever util you can order some yourself

ThainofBuckland

I’ve noticed that it’s particularly easy to over-steep assams, so I try not to brew them when I’m particularly busy.

ThainofBuckland

But I’m sorry you didn’t get to enjoy this tea. I’m sure it would have been amazing.

Mike

Maybe I should try this one to get my day started!

Ost

Would be a good choice, Mike!

Mike

I just took a look at the website. I may need to get that 3-tea deal! That holiday blend with Yunnan, Ceylon and Darjeeling sounds gooooooood too! Thanks for the recommendation! :)

Ost

sure (:

Thanks for this sample, Cameron B.! This is another Assam I’d been curious about but hadn’t wanted to commit to, since it’s only sold in one—very large—size. It’s strong and malty—though not quite as strong and malty as I’d expected it might be. There’s a strong raisiny note, with a fair bit of astringency thrown in to keep the sweetness in check. This is a nice Assam, but since there are other good options that can be purchased in smaller quantities it’s not necessarily something I’d purchase—4.4 oz. is a lot!

I got this one in a swap with TeaTiff. I’m always willing to try another Damn Fine Tea! The leaves of this one are long and thin, and mostly dark with a few golden spots. I didn’t get much of a dry scent off of it, which I find is rather common with straight blacks.

Once steeped, it has a lovely raisin aroma with some bread and caramelized brown sugar notes. The taste is also strongly raisin, which I love. There’s also a rich caramelized brown sugar note that blends beautifully with the raisin. Near the end of the sip, there’s the slightest hint of an earthy flavor, but it’s mild enough to be inoffensive. Overall, this one is very tasty and not what I expected!

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Earth, Raisins

boychik

the more you drink it, the more you love it ;)

donkeytiara

….mmmmm…assam…..

TeaTiff

Oh how I need to pay back all the samples I have received from A & D and just buy a tin or two:) This is a good assam. Careron B I wish I had your way with words. You have a way of describing taste that makes every tea sound incredible!

TeaTiff