Malt, Smoke, Ash
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet
Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 11 oz / 315 ml

Available from 1 seller.

From Andrews & Dunham Damn Fine Tea

You’re truly at your best when you drink the very best. Try our new Double Knit Blend and enjoy the rugged, stylish flavors you can only get from fully modern beverage engineering. Using our patented natural process, we’ve blended a tea that will keep you on top of your day: from your very first sip — bright as sunshine on a California highway — to your last mellow mouthful, satisfaction will be yours. You’ll feel it, and others will notice. Make it a Double Knit Day!

We like to soak these custom blended tea leaves in our favorite tub for four minutes. Invite some friends or just take it easy on your own — make sure the water’s boiling and the mood is light and this tea will take care of the rest.

About Andrews & Dunham Damn Fine Tea View company

Andrews & Dunham knows that nothing beats a perfect cup of tea, and a great tea needs no explanation. We love the romance of tea. We love that tea might just be the healthiest thing you’ll ever drink. But if the tea you’re drinking doesn’t taste fantastic, you’re missing out. Only a few teas meet our mysterious, rigorous standards and we’re proud to offer them to you. We’re always looking for that perfect cup, so you don’t have to.

This is a good cup of tea!! I wish I were drinking it a few years back, when I really could tell a lot about teas just from sipping. It’s not clear to me all that’s blended in it, but it’s good!

There’s definitely a bit of assam. And I love that particular flavor. This cup stands up as a strong tea. I highly recommend it.

TeaEqualsBliss

What??? Is this new?

laurenpressley

I think it is. I only saw it because of an email that came through a week ago or so, and was surprised that it didn’t show up here with any ratings!

LiberTEAS

yes it is. I’ve got some on the way… probably will be here tomorrow! Yipee!

laurenpressley

Looking forward to your review!

The past month has been busy. Between moving into an apartment, cooking for myself all the time now, and my school work I’ve been run a bit ragged. In fact, the only reason I’m writing this and not working on something is becuse I finished a HUGE assignment for my Artificial Intelligence class (written entirely in Lisp, a language I was learning as I went). Regardless, I have a free day, so I can actually write about the tea I’m drinking for a change!

First steep – I threw a generous amount of this in my gaiwan, and I steeped the leaves for a minute with near-boiling water. The result is a deep red tea with a very strongly of a Keemun with lovely wood notes. The flavor of the first cup was very typical of the Keemuns I’ve tried, surprisingly sweet and very clear for such a dark tea. The interesting thing about this tea is that while there’s definitely Keemun, there is something else blended in that I can’t identify. The aftertaste gives it away, with a mineral sensation and a bit of something else a bit more bitter. Regardless, it’s a very pleasant blend and is exactly what I needed to recover from a long night of programming.

Second and Third Steeps – The tea has mellowed remarkably, yet it still retinas the important qualities like the gently sweetness and the odd sensation during the aftertaste. That other sensation and the slight variations in the flavor profile are driving me a bit crazy due to its elusive familiarity, so I’m working my way through the other reviews to try to jog my memory.

Fourth Steep – The big development here is that anything remotely resembling bitterness or astringency is gone, except for an itty-bitty hint during the aftertaste that still defies classification. The main flavor present is similar to caramel, and the tea has this wonderful smoothness that transitions into a mineral feeling with a hint of something bitter/sour. Also, I agree with one of the other reviews of this tea, the other tea in this mix appears to be from the Himalayas, either northern India or Nepal. I’m personally going with Nepal, but it’s hard to be sure. It does remind me of that Jun Chiyabari I got early this year, but that was a long time ago and my recollection is a bit hazy. Whatever, I’m thinking too hard about this, the point is the blend is really great for really trying to think about the flavors, and it’s rather fun to try to guess the mystery part of the blend :)

Yum. This is a nice hearty blend. Not too astringent, no weird flavors, just smooth quality tea. This could become a favorite.

So I have all these beautiful perfume samples headed my way (I’m taking a weightlifting hiatus which means I can indulge my olfactory sense; when trying to hit a new PR I abstain due to some hearsay, possibly superstitious, about scent affecting hormone levels over time), and splendid tea samples from Stacy, and I’ve been boasting about this being one of the only winters on record I managed to stay well, which means naturally over the weekend I (and my husband) developed a cold that renders my entire head a mere repository for snot. Of course. (At least there’s an obvious reason—we went to the drugstore yesterday for more Nyquil and the lady carded us and then looked at me sympathetically and said “aw, you the sick one?” and I said “yeah, I managed to stay fine all winter and then…” and she goes “yeah, well jeez, this weather’ll do it…can you believe it went from 65F to 40F in a single hour the other day??”)

Been combatting it with my usual—insane amounts of Stash White Christmas (white tea, peppermint, ginger), a box of Kleenex a day, a sack of oranges, chicken soup—but I was so sick of not being able to smell anything! And my illnesses always progress the same way, downward really—they start with congestion and pressure behind my eyes and nose, sinuses, then after a couple days it moves down to my throat, then a full body ache usually with a fever, then finally to my chest/lungs. I’d progressed to “sore muscles” last night and decided to take a long bath. L’Occitane sent me a free “bath sugar cube” a while back, with rosemary, mint, and pine, so last night I soaked in that with a cup of this tea, a Paddywax candle, and Julie Doiron on the stereo low and soft. It was marvelous.

I chose this tea because I have so much of it I don’t feel bad using some while ill/not up to snuff senses-wise, and it resteeps well, and I missed “black tea taste” but knew it’s usually smooth and round enough to keep from upsetting my stomach or throat. And it was perfect. Through the wall of snot (sorry to be gross guys!) I can taste this, TEA, and it soothed me so. So I had some this morning too. I know I’m missing its full glory, but this one’s always been like a blanket, comforting like a hug (I just realized my first note for this was about the time the in-wall space heater could’ve killed us all—this really seems to be what I reach for when things are not their best!). I love how reliable it is.

keychange

I’m sorry you’ve been sick, but…well, there’s something about being sick (and the subsequent recovery) that makes spoiling yourself feel so special: lying under a pile of blankets in bed never feels nearly as good when you’re well; scented baths never feel nearly as therapeutic; tea never feels as lovely against your very sore throat.

boychik

ifjuly, so sorry you are sick. even when you sick you are hilarious. haha
my entire head a mere repository for snot. i love your descriptions for anything :)
Pls feel better soon. lots of fun is coming up

ifjuly

you guys are way too kind! what i failed to mention is (and my husband could attest), i’m a HUGE whiny baby when i get sick. even a minor headcold like this and i’m all waaaaah woe is me. which is weird because i otherwise have a fairly stout disposition when it comes to pain. dunno why i’m like this! but you guys are ace at making me feel better. (:

Stephanie

Spring colds are annoying…its such a frustrating time to not feel 100%!

ifjuly

yeah, agree Stephanie! i mean, i’d be whining no matter when it was (see above about my whiny baby syndrome), like i hate how cold and flu season tends to be exactly when you’re super busy traveling, seeing people you’ve not seen in ages, and trying to gift shop and decorate and wrap presents, and want to be able to smell/taste and enjoy holiday goodies, but still. warm weather colds are super annoying. nobody wants to be struck in PJs on the couch while the world grows sunny finally.

DeliriumsFrogs

I am SO sorry you’re under the weather! (but, as boychik said, even when sick, you’re hilarious. lol). Your bath sounded heavenly, and I’m really glad you had this tea for comfort. Warm hugs from tea are the best.

So in my efforts to get into blends and stuff I ended up in a large swap with scribbles, this tea included. I drank this yesterday so this is going to be a really short tasting note but thanks scribbles!

THIS TEA IS SO GOOD. I could tell it obviously wasn’t straight tea but it wasn’t sweet or fruity or anything and maybe that’s why I liked it so much? It was perfect for a break from all of my straight teas because it had a little somethin else going on! I drank it on the train down to Comic Con and it definitely helped pass the time :) it’s bold but not KICK IN THE FACE BOLD and has a lot of yummy flavors. It basically tastes like Essence of Warm Cozy Sweater On a Rainy Day by a Fireplace. That’s what this should be called. Soooo goooood.

Backlogging. I have had this as my morning tea a few times since the cute tin arrived in the mail. It is hearty, malty and smoky and holds up well to my preferred morning method: with milk and sugar.

Sipdown (146/153)!

Thanks VariaTEA for the sample! Not sure if you knew, but this was my first Damn Fine Tea! I know the company is pretty beloved here on Steepster, and based on this one I can see why.

I made it up in my timolino, but sadly I didn’t get around to drinking it until it was pretty luke-warm. Even still I really enjoyed it; it was smooth with no bitterness or astringency, and it had lovely malt notes and very light smoke notes that blended together really well. I think some milk (just a little splash) would have made this one to die for, as well!

Sadly I had to drink it pretty quickly because Tre and I were going out for supper (spontaneous roommate bonding time, since I got off work early) and I felt bad taking tea into the restaurant. It was a good meal! French toast with strawberry topping and berry syrup, and mozza sticks with the most divine, sweet marinara sauce! Plus, Tre let me steal the maraschino cherry from his dessert and I got to show off my mad skills at tying knots in cherry stems with my tongue.

Supposedly that’s hard to do; I wonder if it’s a genetic thing though because both my brother and I can do it really easily? I wonder if my little sister can; if so it’s gotta be genetic (and passed down by my mom, since we have different dads)…

So another swap from Cavocorax and even though it’s pretty dang hot outside, I really wanted a cup of tea. And nothing sweet or flavored, so I grabbed this.
I get a little bit of smoke, a little bit of malt and just a smidge of astringency, which all in all isn’t too bad. It’s just got a bit woody and is a tad bitter on the back of the sip, but overall I like it. Next time I make it I think I’ll try a bit shorter of a steep to see if that makes a difference with the bitterness.
I’m not sure if I like it 4.4 ounces worth, but I’ll be finishing the rest of the swap I got and maybe consider ordering it one day if the mood (and the money) strikes me. XD
(1.5tsp)

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML

Today’s tea two, or the second tea leaf today. Again, I have been enjoying this tea for quite some time, unsure of why I haven’t reviewed it until now.

The leaves have an extremely subtle scent, a pleasingly sweet smokey freshness. They are dark and curled, seemingly dusty and manly presented; I would say the equivalence of a nicely trimmed beard.

Steeping the leaves gives a less subtle and more pleasing sweet malty aroma, the liquor very dark and very rich. This is, indeed, a modern tea.

The flavors are lightly malty, and lightly sweet. The smokiness does return within a full body. There is no astringency, just simply very well rounded.

This tea is perfect to enjoy in the late mornings or early afternoons, extremely pleasing with no surprises.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 14 OZ / 414 ML

2012 tasting notes

So I am just going to start by saying that Dexter is AMAZING!!! She heard I was exploring straight blacks and next thing I know, I have a whole box of black tea samples to try. It is like my very own educational box and I am so grateful for her generosity and kindness. Thank you Dexter!!!

As for the tea, this is smokey and ashy. It is good though I don’t think this is the type of black I will reach for. The blacks I personally have enjoyed have all been towards the dessert tye flavors with notes of caramel, chocolate, vanilla, and the like. Nonetheless, I really appreciate the opportunity to try something new so once again, thank you Dexter!!

Dexter

You don’t have to love them all – I sent you a variety with the hopes of you finding what type of black you prefer. There are some chocolate/caramel desserty types in the box. Hope you find a few you like. :))

VariaTEA

I’m sure I will. It is fun to explore though, even if not every cup is a success.

Cavocorax

I really like the A&D teas, but I think this is my least favourite. I only grabbed a tin because I needed a third for my 3 pack and I was curious. :)

Dexter

LOL and that’s what’s interesting about these comments. This is my favorite A&D blend. :))