Astringent, Bitter, Black Currant, Sweet Potatoes, Apricot, Citrus, Drying, Tannin, Malt, Baked Bread
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

• “I started the month of April with 95 black teas on my shelves. 26 of those are in various boxes from various friends. The other 69 are actually teas in my collection. (These numbers don’t...” Read full tasting note
    terri-harplady 3236 tasting notes
  • “Well this was a surprise. I don’t drink many teas from India. They are often bitter, harsh, and burn in my stomach like crazy. This one though… the wet leaf smells incredible. The...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1690 tasting notes
  • “It’s here, it’s here, it’s here, IT’S HERE. It’s finally here! I was so excited for this blend. It was a great Christmas gift (to myself,...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 871 tasting notes
  • “Ah, pretty much exactly what I was expecting. This is quite bright and relatively astringent, tastes very much like an Indian blend but there’s no bitterness, that aspect is very smooth, and...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 613 tasting notes

From Andrews & Dunham Damn Fine Tea

Fun fact: The shrill cry you hear when you see a bird of prey onscreen is almost always that of a Red-Tailed Hawk. It is this cry that, when heard while alone and in the wilderness, reminds you that you are indeed alone and in the wilderness. So brew up this blend of bright, delicious teas from the mountains of India and soar to new heights of flavor.

About Andrews & Dunham Damn Fine Tea View company

Andrews & Dunham knows that nothing beats a perfect cup of tea, and a great tea needs no explanation. We love the romance of tea. We love that tea might just be the healthiest thing you’ll ever drink. But if the tea you’re drinking doesn’t taste fantastic, you’re missing out. Only a few teas meet our mysterious, rigorous standards and we’re proud to offer them to you. We’re always looking for that perfect cup, so you don’t have to.

GCTTB
This is similar to the other A&D tea I was drinking earlier. This one is quite grapey, a touch astriñgent, but not unpleasant. I wish this were a little bit heavier, a little darker. This is nice, but the Holiday Blend is closer to my tastes.

Stephanie

I am almost out of holiday blend. I really hope they put out a new blend soon!

Backlog from last night.

This was something I sampled from the GCTTB4. Thank you Lala for putting it in!

This was my very first A&D tea, and I could tell from the smell of the tea as it was steeping that this was very high quality. It had that raisin spice note I find I really enjoy in black teas.

However, I did not pay much attention to this tea as it was steeping, and I oversteeped it. It wasn’t astringent, but the flavour was a bit deadened and heavy – no subtlety or layering to it. I really would like to try this again at some point, maybe with a bit of brown sugar.

GCTTB

When they say this tea is bright – they are NOT KIDDING! Sweet, smooth, fruity and malty. As the cup cooled the fruit notes became even more pronounced. Delicious! Another Damn Fine tea!

what does GCTTB mean?

scribbles

Great Canadian travelling tea box :)

oh, that’s cool :)

care to swap some?

This is the first tea I’ve tried out of the box Terri so generously sent me! I can’t get over how much she sent me-it’s crazy. If you see this, Terri, thank you soo much again! I’m so excited to try them all! :D
Been wanting to try this one for a while, and lemme say, I was not disappointed!
I had a feeling that it would taste like wood because feels like half the teas everyone adores on here taste like wood to me. xD
But it didn’t! Like not at all! :O
It was mainly malty. With kinda a faint apricot note in it. Wasn’t really a sweet malty. It was more of a bold, rich malty flavor. Really enjoyed this one!
Will have to consider picking this one up. Got enough of this tea for a few more cups so I have time to make up my mind!
Thank you for the generous sample, Terri!!

Flavors: Apricot, Malt

Kaylee

I think you maybe didn’t intend to mark this one “not recommended”…

Ost

Haha oh my goodness! XD I didn’t mean todo that at all!!
Thanks for letting me know! :P

This came out of my recent swap with Skulleigh. I admit I’ve been shying away from Andrews & Dunham because I really don’t need any more expensive black teas. However, I drink black teas more than any other kind so I was pretty eager to try this!

I was impressed by the exceptional smoothness of this tea, especially since it’s an Indian blend. I think there is darjeeling in here which is giving it that bright, fruity note. I’m not big on overly tannic teas and there is touch in here but thankfully not a lot. Contrasted with the Jin Jun Mei I had earlier today, I am appreciating the slight “bite” this has on my tastebuds. It has a lot of malt also and is providing just enough heft to give me some much needed “oomph” this morning. I need a bot of “oomph” to convince myself to leave the house and go to the gym on this rainy day.

Anyway I was impressed with this blend. I thought it was pretty good plain and it was also nice with a touch of soymilk. I am back to the A & D website once again, trying not to buy anything… ha ha. This is really a good blend though. I’m glad I got to try it :)

to be fair, their rices are for 4.4 ounces so not terribly expensive IF you can order during their free shipping deals heh

TeaBrat

@Sil, i know, I have spent more money than that on a tin of tea as well, if they had some in local stores I would have bought some by now… tee hee

if there are ever others that you want to try, let me know. happy to share some if you want to try before thinking of buying. Others like lala have been awesome about doing the same for me so happy to pay it forward heh

Skulleigh

Glad you liked it! Normally, I am not crazy about Darjeeling, but it’s good in this blend. And their graphic design is fun and awesome.

Sipdown! 981. Thank you to Sil for this sample (and TerriHarpLady, because it’s her writing on the baggie :D)

Pulled out my unflavoured “drink now” basket to get a few things down before I fill up my 6 Timolinos for some babysitting tonight (and those Timolinos will not be containing single cup samples). This one was at the top of the basket, so here we are! Aroma is lovely, sweet and malty, and the flavour is… unexpected. I was anticipating more of a standard yunnan/hay-y flavour based on the aroma (even though that’s not a profile I’d use for a tea called “red-tailed hawk”!), but although it has those notes, it also has… cherry? Yeah, it took me a bit to identify it, but I’m definitely tasting a cherry fruitiness. There is also some astringency here, but it might be due to slightly overleafing (under-pouring of water, more accurately), and it’s actually not unpleasant, because it’s fairly mild. Overall, pretty tasty and unique. Not a tea I’d have too often because it’s a little on the potent side for me, but it’s still delicious.

darjeeling…lower temp tastes better :)

Backlog:

I experimented a little bit with this tea. The first pot that I brewed (In my Breville One-Touch), I steeped it for 2 1/2 minutes which produces a brisk and slightly astringent cup. When I cut the time to 2 minutes, it produced a much smoother cup that is much more to my liking.

A well-rounded blend. Full-bodied with lots of flavor. Nice malty tone, lots of caramel-y notes. Rich, earthy and fruity. At 2 minutes, this maintains a really nice flavor with very little tannic quality. A longer steep will become more tannic and hints at becoming bitter at 2 1/2 minutes so some care while brewing is recommended.

Beautiful tin artwork too. I love A & D.

Thank you Boychik for this sample. This is a tasty tea. The best so far of my Andrews and Dunham samples from Boychik. The maltiness to this tea is actually good. Maybe its because I added honey, but I am liking the malty character of this tea. I usually don’t like malt in tea. There is a subtle sweetness behind the malt too. It is good if not damn fine.

I brewed this once in an 18oz teapot with 6g leaf and boiling water for 3 min.

Flavors: Malt

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 6 g 18 OZ / 532 ML

I received this sample from Cameron B Thank you!

Yum! Wow, Yum! This is really hitting the spot this morning. I am sad that Steepsters is misbehaving again. I have no idea what is actually in this tea. From my taster I suspect it is a blend of Assam and Darjeeling. Whatever combination is in here is really working for me. So much so that I went directly to the A&D sight. Oh A&D I wish you sold your teas in smaller quantities. 4oz is a LOT of tea of one kind for me. Maybe I will have to con a fellow steepster into splitting a 4 pack?

The first thing I noticed about this tea is the sweetness. It has a sweetness to it I didn’t expect. Then I got the malty/fruitiness of the Assam, and then the muscatel of what I think is Darjeeling but who knows. What ever is in here has made it a yummy cup. Thanks again Cameron B for allowing me to try another A & D tea.

they do great teas! I thought 4oz was a lot, but i managed to drink down a tin of tiger assam in no time. Now i have this, tiger assam, double knit and their keemun….and i’m lookinga t the october blend haha

TeaTiff

I have enjoyed the tiger assam and this one. The October blend and the keemun also have me interested. I guess I have 4oz tins from H & S sitting around that seem to be disappearing faster than I thought possible. Haha as if I need to buy more tea. I wish the October blend was going to be around longer.

boychik

If you liked the hawk you will like Oktoberfest. Sample?

boychik….i totally owe YOU some teas! :P

boychik

@Sil. Nah, you dont say. Kidding, my tastes shifted a little, i’m such a pu head

Swap from Shadowfall!

Hmm, this is a rich indian tea flavor without the dryness. It’s like it’s pulsing to want to be dry and brisk, but never gets there. The texture is thick with a silky sip, a bit bread crusty, malty with slight stone fruit sweetness. The finish is more bread crust flavor. Not bad, glad to of tried it!

A2ShedsJackson

I love the label and name on this tea; I’m glad to read some more reviews on it. Still mulling over purchasing it myself.