Baked Bread, Citrus, Cocoa, Fruity, Grain, Honey, Stonefruits, Sweet Potatoes, Autumn Leaf Pile, Malt, Cannabis, Yams, Earth, Flowers, Leather, Molasses, Tobacco, Wood
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

• “As per JC recommendation I brew 2 heaping tsp in 200 ml glass pot short steeps 5/5/10/15/20 sec none of the steeps are weak. Very chocolaty and malty. Wet leaves smell of honey and tobacco. ...” Read full tasting note
    boychik 309 tasting notes
  • “I've been a cranky ragebot all week long for various reasons, but as one of those small silly things that can talk you off the ledge last night before bed I reminded myself I'd be able to try this...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 612 tasting notes
  • “I've been wanting to try this one since it arrived. I got Tin #45 out of 150. :) No real comments, except it was the kind of tea I needed, & was shared with one of my students this morning.” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2859 tasting notes
  • “Oh. Mah. Gawd. Sulu. This is good tea. Smells fantastic, looks nifty. Cute package. Heavily baked bread flavor, sweet, malt, smooth...golden. It was probably a mistake to have an entire pot...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 512 tasting notes

From Andrews & Dunham Damn Fine Tea

Limited Edition of 150

Happy New Year!

We’re galloping into the New Year on a 150 horse-powered infusion of Yunnan Gold Tips. Care to join us? Like a chestnut mare with a brilliant golden mane, this special tea has the might to carry you through good times and bad, and a gentle, unassuming beauty that will stir noble feelings in your breast. We wish the year of the snake a fond farewell, perhaps even a tip of the hat as it slithers away into the bushes. Now it’s time to face the road ahead. Welcome to the year of the horse — saddle up this damn fine steed and ride out to meet it!

We’ve teamed up again with our pals at Aesthetic Apparatus and made 150 tins of one of our favorites, Yunnan Jin Hao Gold Tips tea. This full-bodied black tea from China will remind you of a classic Yunnan — it’s good and strong — but the gold tips add a soft, velvety smoothness. Brew it in boiling hot water for at least five minutes and you’re off to the races. Cross the finish line and re-steep the leaves for another ride.

About Andrews & Dunham Damn Fine Tea View company

Andrews & Dunham knows that nothing beats a perfect cup of tea, and a great tea needs no explanation. We love the romance of tea. We love that tea might just be the healthiest thing you’ll ever drink. But if the tea you’re drinking doesn’t taste fantastic, you’re missing out. Only a few teas meet our mysterious, rigorous standards and we’re proud to offer them to you. We’re always looking for that perfect cup, so you don’t have to.

As per JC recommendation I brew 2 heaping tsp in 200 ml glass pot short steeps 5/5/10/15/20 sec none of the steeps are weak. Very chocolaty and malty. Wet leaves smell of honey and tobacco. There is some rye bread sourness and slight spice comes at the very end. I can’t decide which method I prefer. Both produce very different results.

0 min, 15 sec 2 tsp 7 OZ / 200 ML
Tabby

Hah, the art for this tea is cute!

Terri HarpLady

That it is! But I thought the name of the tea was Chinese New Year :)

boychik

i think it would be a splendid name for this tea:=)

Terri HarpLady

That’s actually the name on the label. When I drank it, I was looking under that as the name, but someone had entered it under Yunnan Golden Tips already.

boychik

You are absolutely right Terri. I haven’t even noticed it because its white letters on yellow

I’ve been a cranky ragebot all week long for various reasons, but as one of those small silly things that can talk you off the ledge last night before bed I reminded myself I’d be able to try this today (and thanks boychik, your review today made me even more excited!). I was a tad worried I’d find it too mild and straightforwardly sweet potato like I was just talking about with Golden Monkey, but this is great, a lovely balance of that sweet smoothness tips give with more robust but still smooth malty dark flavor I crave. The cup color tells it; it isn’t that warm orange-gold-brown hue of the sweet potato teas but instead a deeper more burgundy-tinged affair, as I like. And as it cools there’s a lingering aftertaste of dark chocolate, yum—I imagine it comes from the very faintest hint of bitterness I crave giving it a depth of flavor, but the smooth sweetness the tips provide rounding it out. Was prepared to send a lot of this off to my IRL tea buddy or Steepsters who might lean towards the general Yunnan style if I didn’t love this but I do. So there’s a win for the day, woo small triumphs!

ETA this is a resteep champ, yes even Western style. Had a second cup, 5 minutes just like the first, just as good maybe in some ways even better (lighter yes, but sweeter too, and still with enough heft to make it deliciously satisfying). Woo hoo!

Cavocorax

That sounds awesome! I was totally trying NOT to buy this too, but your review is very persuasive!

Anna

Hehehe. ‘Ragebot’. The Ragebots. <3

boychik

Yay glad you did review it and like it. I get irritated easy myself lately . I blame winter for my mood swings. Good tea is the best remedy.

Dexter

This just went on my shopping list too.

caile

Sounds great !

scribbles

Ok, I was trying to not buy this tea…thinking…it’s just tea…I guess I’ll be putting in my order as soon as I get back from walking the beast.

cavo…i haven’t ordered yet lol

ifjuly

haha, The Ragebots! i would spend a friday night going to see them play. (:

yes boychik, the weather for sure plays a part. and yes again to tea as the best remedy! well, and friends. (:

I’ve been wanting to try this one since it arrived. I got Tin #45 out of 150. :)

you think i’d like this one?

__Morgana__

Oooh. I didn’t realize they’d numbered them, but just looked at mine and I got no. 23.

wonder if they’d give me a specific number… haha

__Morgana__

They probably would if they hadn’t already shipped what you asked for.

i haven;t ordered yet :) still trying to decide what i want since i think there are 4 tins i’m looking at heh

Mine is #36

Terri HarpLady

Sil, I enjoyed it, therefore you will too, LOL.
Quite honestly, I was so out of it this morning that I didn’t really pay that much attention. But it was a earthy homey kind of tea, & that’s all I can remember. I barely remember being alive…but I am starting to improve.

Oh. Mah. Gawd. Sulu. This is good tea.

Smells fantastic, looks nifty. Cute package.

Heavily baked bread flavor, sweet, malt, smooth…golden. It was probably a mistake to have an entire pot this late in the evening but I just couldn’t stop. No time for a resteep tonight, but will definitely try tomorrow. Though my pots are kind of like resteeps… I steep 16 ounces then another 12 ounces or so with the same leaves and combine them in the same pot.

It’s not a desert island tea, but it’s Damn Fine.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
boychik

Yay I’m happy you like it too;)

Terri HarpLady

I love saying damn fine tea :)

Really smooth. Brewed this one a little lite, only 3 mins for some reaason (Mike’s fault). I like this one a lot though. It’s not crazy in your face with the flavor but still easily stands on its own. I could see this being drinkable on a frequent basis.

Flavors: Honey

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 34 OZ / 1000 ML
__Morgana__

Can’t wait until mine shows up!

Terri HarpLady

Mine just came, complete with a horse head finger puppet! Yay!

Mike

I blame @rickyc for the brew time. I thought it tasted light and he assured me it was a characteristic. He’s known around the office for his terrible, terrible lies.

Honey-sweet, bread-like, with a bit of malt in the back. This is one fine tea!

I used 1 heaping teaspoon in an 8 oz cup with 200 degree water and steeped for just 1 minute and it was delicious. Resteeps for 2m, 2.5m and 3m were almost as delicious but the flavor declined a bit with each steep. The next time I’ll try boiling with a longer steep just to compare.

I’ll keep this tea around for sure and plan to enjoy it frequently.

Sample from hapatite! Thanks hun!

This is the second time I’ve tried this tea. The first time I was too busy to write any notes and I wanted to give it a proper review. So! I brewed some of this up tonight. I was craving a bready, malty Yunnan. When I set my mug aside to cool, an ant somehow found its way into my cup. I deliberated for a moment…and then just picked him out. I’m gross. ): But I didn’t want to sacrifice the entire cup when I only had a few teaspoons of leaf left.

Usual method for blacks without instruction: 1.5tsp/10oz, pre-boil, 2 min. Subsequent steep times vary, but this time it was 3min.

It’s a little brisk at the beginning of each sip—especially when it’s hot. Notes of citrus, cocoa, bread, and a maltiness that coats the tongue. It has a smooth texture and it’s surprisingly light-bodied. Maybe medium. Towards the end of each sip you get stone fruits. Red fruits. It has me thinking of plums, then it has me thinking of raisins. There are notes of sweet potato: rich and thick, with a lingering sweetness. There is a bit of honey there as well. The sweet potato, grain, and fruit notes are more prominent as the liquid cools.

Well, this is a decent tea. It doesn’t wow my pants off like I hoped it would. It’s not overly complex. It stays consistent through steeps and it could probably hold up to milk and sugar. No muss, no fuss. For those reasons I would make it an everyday tea…maybe an everyday morning tea. The cost makes it less desirable, though. There are other teas with similar flavor profiles that are of higher quality and more affordable. Plus I think they just sold their last tin!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Citrus, Cocoa, Fruity, Grain, Honey, Stonefruits, Sweet Potatoes

This smooth and pleasant tea accompanied my morning yesterday. These dark medium large leaves mixed with around 25% golden tip yielded 3 good steeps using my usual method of 1 TSP/225ml/94°C/1 min+1 for next steep, which is slightly less resilient than some of the Yunnan’s I’ve been drinking. The last steep was weakening and I will probably extend the steep time the next time I drink it.

The first steep smelled of malt, cocoa, a musky, grainy scent, and red fruit. The taste was sweeter than the scent with with a strong barley note mixed with cocoa and caramel. There was a faint leather spice mixed in with light malt and a touch of fruit. The tea had a slightly metallic, mineral note that leant a certain coolness to the flavour of the tea. The tea was very smooth on the tongue.

Future steeps introduced a light bright floral note, plum mixed with red fruit and a light hay note. The caramel evolved to cane sugar.

Altogether this was a smooth, pleasant, and uncomplicated accompaniment to my day.

Thanks boychik for the sample!

Cameron B.

How many steeps did you end up doing? I might have to try the rest of my sample this way. :)

yyz

I tried 4. Steeps 1 and 2 were really good, with strong flavour, the third steep was weakening, so I tried the fourth steep at 5 min and really it was just fading cocoa, some malt , and indistinct sweet notes. I would try adding 1.5 to 2 minutes for the third steep and not bother with the fourth.

Cameron B.

Gotcha, thanks a lot! I’ll have to try this today. :)

Glad you liked that;)

Cameron B.

So I tried it with 1 minute, 2 minutes, 4 minutes and I liked it a lot! I need to try other Yunnans that way. :D

yyz

Yay! I’m glad you liked it that way. I do it with a lot of my Chinese teas, and it helps me discover another character to them. Some I prefer this way and some Western style and a few I steep at very short intervals.

Cameron B.

I tend to prefer the lighter, more tippy Yunnan teas, so this method kind of emulates that even with darker ones. Which is nice! Thanks again for the suggestion. :)

yyz

I like the tippy Yunnan’s too. I love the diversity of them. I once had one ( well it wasn’t specifically labeled Yunnan, but its leaf morphology and some aspects of its flavour suggested it was) that tasted of violets and grape jelly on top of other notes.

Another one from Nicole! And I’ve been really wanting to try this one too, mostly because of the adorable horse tin (hangs head in shame). I’m such a sucker for cute packages! The leaves are quite lovely – they’re somewhat long and curly and “fluffy”. About half golden and half brown. I ended up using closer to two teaspoons because of the fluffiness. I didn’t want to underleaf! The dry aroma is what I’m coming to expect from a very tippy Yunnan – bread and malt with honey and lovely stonefruit notes. Yummy.

At first, the tea smelled of just bread and honey. And I was okay with that! However, I noticed that as it started to cool to a more drinkable temperature, those stonefruit notes started poking their lovely little heads out. The taste is surprisingly light in texture. It’s predominantly bready malt with a bit of dried autumn leaves mixed in. And then there’s that little bit of honey sweetness too. I maybe get a little bit of a fruity aftertaste if I really look for it.

Overall, this tea is tasty. It’s uncomplicated, but done well and would make an excellent lighter everyday black tea.

So, a separate issue. I’ve made all three of my black teas today with bottled water instead of my usual tap. And they all three seemed to have the same mild bitterness. I don’t find that bitterness is usually an issue for me, since I generally do shortish steeps and use cooler water (200 degrees usually). So is it possible that my bottled water is making my teas taste more bitter…?

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Baked Bread, Honey, Malt

Ost

Mmm that sounds so good!

Marzipan

I love the tin, although I thought it was a cow at first.

Cameron B.

I love it too! But I don’t love it enough to spend $25 on it when I could get a comparable or better tea for cheaper. :(

TheTeaFairy

I guess it depends of the water Cameron. For example, I can’t stand Dasani water, I think it tastes worse than some tap water. I’m lucky to have found what works best for me, I use Mavea filters and love my water cause it gets super soft.

Nicole

I have noticed similar issues with water. Usually when something turns out way off from what others have noticed on here I try with a different water. I have some teas that I can’t stand when done with spring water from the local grocery store or the filtered water at work but with my tap water at home I love them. As TheTeaFairy said, just have to find what works best for you and if you like the tea, try to remember how you made it. :) That’s the part I have trouble with…

Thanks to Stephanie for this sample. I was glad to have it tonight so I could make a decision about ordering it or not. I liked it well enough, but at $30 shipped for 4 oz, I have to consider that I can get 4 oz of Malty Irish Breakfast for much less ($17 plus shipping) and I like it more.

They never did answer about whether they’ll have free US shipping on Friday! :P

whatshesaid

Which brand is Malty Irish Breakfast?

Stephanie

Good call! Malty Irish Breakfast is from Butiki whatshesaid

whatshesaid

Good to know :) thanks!

donkeytiara

if you’re a first time customer of this company you can tweet them and they will send you a free shipping code….just so you know….

Stephanie

Ooh good to know donkeytiara I’m still considering ordering Spring Keemun after sampling it in a swap!