Caramel, Floral, Fruity, Malt, Smoke, Sweet Potatoes, Wood, Cocoa, Honey, Baked Bread, Earth, Flowers, Grapes, Orchids, Apricot, Cream, Chocolate
High
Edit tea info Last updated by donkeytiara
Boiling 4 min, 30 sec 10 oz / 292 ml

• “This is a very smooth tea up until the very end of the sip where it is just a touch dry. Throughout the sip, it is sweet and malty and smooth and delicious. I don't know if I would have wanted a...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1848 tasting notes
  • “*MzPriss' Unflavored Tea Box - Tea #1* I'm very excited to have MzPriss' unflavored tea box make a stop at the house! This is like the classy, no nonsense, fancy restaurant of tea boxes... some of...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1297 tasting notes
  • “So, although I haven't been on steepster much the past few weeks, I fortunately happened to have the time and focus to check on the day it was announced that A&D were having free shipping to Canada...” Read full tasting note
    caile 161 tasting notes
  • “This tea is beautiful. It smells nicely sweet and slightly smokey. Smells delicious. The dry tea leaves are small and curly and uniform. It actually hurts to take the first scoop out of the tin...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 754 tasting notes

From Andrews & Dunham Damn Fine Tea

We’ve noticed spring is struggling to get off the ground this year in our little corner of the USA. March came in like a lion but its fur got stuck to the permafrost so the lion continues to sit outside our door, calmly licking its paws and giving us the stare down. Fine. We’ll stare right back. Should be no problem as long as our supply of this great Keemun holds out. Good thing we have 150 2.5 ounce tins of the… Wait. We only have 150 tins? Whose idea was that?

Despite a strong desire to keep all these tins of Spring Keemun for ourselves, we offer them to you. This is a spring crop of Keemun Xiang Luo (Fragrant Spirals), so while this tea has all the usual, unmistakable tawny richness of Keemun, it is more delicate than you might expect. Lion and lamb, all at once. The leaves are so beautiful — elegant, dark, and shiny — it’s almost a shame to pour water on them! When you do, make sure the water is boiling hot and allow it to steep for at least 5 minutes. Or longer. This is a very patient tea.

About Andrews & Dunham Damn Fine Tea View company

Andrews & Dunham knows that nothing beats a perfect cup of tea, and a great tea needs no explanation. We love the romance of tea. We love that tea might just be the healthiest thing you’ll ever drink. But if the tea you’re drinking doesn’t taste fantastic, you’re missing out. Only a few teas meet our mysterious, rigorous standards and we’re proud to offer them to you. We’re always looking for that perfect cup, so you don’t have to.

This is a very smooth tea up until the very end of the sip where it is just a touch dry. Throughout the sip, it is sweet and malty and smooth and delicious. I don’t know if I would have wanted a whole tin but I am very grateful to Cavocorax for the generous sample that will allow me another cup or so of this lovely tea. Thank you Cavo!!

MzPriss’ Unflavored Tea Box – Tea #1
I’m very excited to have MzPriss’ unflavored tea box make a stop at the house! This is like the classy, no nonsense, fancy restaurant of tea boxes… some of the best of the best are in this one. This is what tea boxes are for: sampling a ton of amazing teas. No offense to the other fun tea boxes (including the one I started!) So thank you to MzPriss, the other participants, and Single Origin Teas for adding a few teas to the box!

This is the first I went with. The leaves look oddly enough like Verdant’s Laoshan black. The flavor seems to be similar, but it has more tanginess rather than the chocolate & caramel that is supposedly in Laoshan Black, but is something I haven’t found too much. I wouldn’t say that this tastes like what I would imagine a keemun should be, no smokiness. But it is an interesting flavor. Not a bad cup, but not a keemun I would choose to stock. It’s a lighter brew, which I think is my problem with Laoshan. The steep suggestion is fairly long too… I know that over three minutes ruins Laoshan. Here I go comparing a tea to Laoshan again. Sheesh. I will never say no to trying any tea though! :D
Steep #1 // few min after boiling // 5 min
Steep #2 // half a mug // just boiled // 5 min

Cameron B.

An unflavored traveling tea box sounds amazing! Hopefully another of those starts sometime soon so I can take part. :) And I really liked the non-smoky Keemun I had earlier today!

MzPriss

It doesn’t taste at all like Keemun to me either Tea Sipper – it puzzles me. And I’m so glad you love the box – I wanted it be a not huge but very classy and mighty box and I think we’ve accomplished that :)

Tea Sipper

VERY classy and mighty!

So, although I haven’t been on steepster much the past few weeks, I fortunately happened to have the time and focus to check on the day it was announced that A&D were having free shipping to Canada – yay! So I decided to try a couple thing I have been wanting; this being one of them.

I made a cup of this shortly after my package arrived, and was quite pleased with this tasty keemun. Earthy, floral and fruity, with perhaps the lightest hint of smoke. Delicious and flavourful!

YAY!

Stephanie

Can’t wait till mine gets here :)

caile

:) Shipping was surprisingly quick!!

OMGsrsly

Nice! Mine should be here soon then. :)

caile

It will probably be there tomorrow! I ordered on the 1st, it shipped on the 2nd, and then arrived yesterday. :)

boychik

It’s very good and different from other Keemuns I tried( not that I tried many)

boychik

I went back to my notes. You should try it @ 5 min. If doesn’t get bitter or astringent

caile

I will try longer next time. It might have been more like 3 minutes this cup as sometimes I don’t pay attention.. :)

boychik

If you try longer steep can you tell me if you noticed this tea gets slightly salty? It really bugs me that nobody mentioned it in their tastings. Am I the only one who got it ?

caile

I remember reading that note about it being salty! I’ll try and have some tomorrow with a longer steep.

This tea is beautiful. It smells nicely sweet and slightly smokey. Smells delicious. The dry tea leaves are small and curly and uniform. It actually hurts to take the first scoop out of the tin because it feels like I am crushing the leaves. Gives a new meaning to agony of the leaves :)

The tea brews up really nice, and also really strong. It agains have an excellent balance of sweet and slightly smokey keemun. It is very bold and malty. Just a slight dryness in the aftertaste but it is not astringent or bitter.

For some reason, I do not associate keemun with spring. This keemun is very fresh but the boldness and maltiness reminds me more of a late fall or winter. But I don’t care, it is delicious.

yeah keemun = fall/winter for me

Stephanie

Don’t they call this one spring because it is a spring harvest? Man I really love this one…

Stephanie – yes..but it’s still got a giant spring on it ahha

True! :)

Jennkay

Oh man, I hate the feeling of crushing leaves when scooping!

I have been enjoying this tea predominantly as a morning drink; although I’ve tried it for afternoons, it doesn’t feel right to drink any time after 11:30 AM.

The dry leaves are beautifully curled and richly dark, impeccably arranged in its relatively tiny tin. The presentation alone makes purchasing this tea worth it. The dry scent gives little; more subtle fresh earthy notes, appropriate as a spring crop.

Steeping brings out it’s very rich colors and aromas, lessening the subtle earthy tones for a more chocolate body with a hint of smoke beneath the surface. There is a surprising sweetness to it, which I did not initially detect until taking the aromas in a second and third time, as well as a light fruitiness.

The liquor, although very deeply red/copper, gives a light caramel aroma and nothing else. The flavor though, is very smooth and very fruity with a thick cocoa body. There is a slight astringency, but no bitterness.

As far as malty teas go, this beautiful tea may be the best I’ve had so far. Expectedly thick, but surprisingly subtle and delicate.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 14 OZ / 414 ML

From the Unflavored TTB.

I’m catching up on reviews since I’ve had trouble linking to steepster the last few days. The nose is full of rich chocolate, with a touch of smoke underneath. The taste is rich and chocolaty, mixed with a leafy flavor. Long, luscious finish. I’m a big fan of Keemun and this is just the kind of tea I love. As I got further into the cup, the finish turned slightly bitter. Still good, but perhaps a bit short of great. 2nd steep good but simpler. 3rd weak. A damn fine tea.

Stephanie

This one is great! I’m a big fan of all the Damn Fine teas I’ve tried!

Swap from Cavocorax.
Another tea I couldn’t resist trying right now. Lol.
The leaves are so cute. Curly and bunchy looking. No scent that I could figure but that’s due to the bag and me not feeling like dumping this into a bowl to sniff it.
1.5tsp/12oz @ 210*/5min – I was afraid that brewing it so long would kill it since I’ve never really let first brews go this long (too many killed cups this way), but that’s what Cavo put as a recommendation on the package, so I figure I might as well try it. Lol.
Brewed this has a fruity, smoky, ‘something’ sort of smell. I’m not really sure what that ‘something’ is honestly. It’s not woody, or spicy, or earthy, or malty. It’s just…rrgh. Hard to describe, or rather I don’t know the right word. Lol.
Taste wise this is smooth and slightly fruity and just a hint smokey. And slightly sweet, which is a surprise. It’s not a sugar sort of sweet. Just a nice subtle gentle sort of sweet. I could totally drink this without having to add any sugar or anything.
Also very very little astringency, almost not enough to mention, but I figure I should since it is (vaguely) there.
It’s very good. Barring finding another (better) keemun I’d totally want to keep this in my cupboard. I just wish it wasn’t so expensive. /flops/ XD

Edit: Did a second steep 6min @ 210* – Not as good as the first. Kinda weak and has that woody/sharp sort of taste that I associate with leaves that have already given their best. It’s drinkable, but I’m still probly gonna dump it in favor of one of the other teas I set out to drink today. Lol.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

(From the Unflavored Traveling Tea Box)

I actually had this one last night but was too tired to type up my tasting note.

If this tea is anything, it’s smooth. It is also fairly sweet. Lots of fruity notes as well as some caramel and a hint of cocoa. Because the smokey notes are dialed back so much I had to remind myself that this is a Keemun. It’s very different from what I’m used to, but sometimes different can be a good thing.

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

(From the UTTB.)

I don’t have any experience with Keemuns so I don’t have a point of reference for this one. It’s assertive on the front end, on the lighter side of malty, and it has a slight earthy quality about it. Light/medium bodied and smooth. There are some fruity floral undertones that are subtle, affecting the way the tea reads as a color to me. Bright reddish orange maybe? Much like the color of the tea liquid. It’s drying in a pleasant way that makes my mouth water. A touch of smoke and wood. There’s a thick, caramel sweet potato aftertaste that balances the other flavors nicely. The flavor is thick but the texture is not. It still maintains a bright cheerfulness. It’s quite nice.

New goal: find the perfect Keemun for me!
Gosh I need more breakfast teas. My cupboard is severely lacking. ;)

Flavors: Caramel, Floral, Fruity, Malt, Smoke, Sweet Potatoes, Wood

Stephanie

I really like this one too :)

boychik

i must be crazy because no one mentions saltiness of this tea like in aftertaste

Awwww crap.

Ok, here’s the deal. I’m exhausted, falling asleep in my chair – which likely has something to do with the HIIT I did this afternoon.

I had a piece of 75% dark chocolate and made this tea, 100 degrees for 5 min.

Took a drink, and was lovingly cradling the cup, inhaling deeply, and enjoying every sip.
To the point where I went to calculate on the website how much it would cost me to get a can.

I can’t even tell you what I was tasting. Both because I’m tired, and also because eating the chocolate first may have messed with my tastebuds. And also I only pretend to sound like I know what I’m talking about, with most things, most of the time.

If this is what Keemun tastes like, I’m IN.

Thank you so much, Cavocorax!!

What a comforting cup. Excited to try more tomorrow.
And it’s $10. To ship a can of this to me. In case you wondered.

keep an eye on their facebook page. A&D DOES do free shipping promos that DO apply to canada as well…

whatshesaid

Good to know! But this is limited teaaaaaa

By the way have you tried their yunnan gold tips?

horse face? yes :) i did not buy horsecan….but I did buy spring keemun (times two) i wanted the tin for horsey…but the tea was middle of the road for the shipping/costs benefit of getting that as well lol

mj

“And also I only pretend to sound like I know what I’m talking about, with most things, most of the time.” Hey, me too! That’s been my MO for years

Cavocorax

I wanted to order four cans, but didn’t like the shipping and so I facebooked them and asked if they were going to have any shipping deals soon so I could place my order; they sent me a coupon for $10 shipping! Just something to keep in mind in case you decide to stock up on tons of tea!

Thanks for the tip!

Terri HarpLady

I have the golden tips. It came with a plastic horse head finger puppet! :)
I had actually considered letting it take a tour with the latest round of the BBBB, just for fun, but I forgot to put it in the box. :)

Is it delicious?

Terri HarpLady

I’ve only drank it once or twice. I can’t remember, LOL
You could check the reviews. Want me to send you some?

whatshesaid

No, that’s ok but thank you :)

Angrboda

For a ‘not amazing but pretty good’ Keemun, I’d probably rate around 85-90 too, actually. But that’s because I’m so fond of keemun in general so it just being keemun is worth a LOT of points for me already before I’ve tasted it if you know what I mean. :) It doesn’t take much (in a keemun) to make me do the happy sigh, but it takes a fair bit to completely wow me. :)

MzPriss

@Angrboda – I’m prediposed to love Keemun too, but I have to say this Spring Keemun isn’t my favorite. It’s ok, but I didn’t love it. I was expecting to love it the way Sil loves it and I just didn’t :(

boychik

i liked salty element in Spring. i haven’t noticed it in other Keemuns ( but i didnt try that many). I think it makes it kinda unique (for me at least)

Angrboda

MzPriss, I agree. I found it extremely floral and that’s not one of my favourite qualities in keemuns. (or any tea for that matter)

whatshesaid

Just for the record, when I said this:
“I read the reviews and it just seems like everyone is all “it’s not amazing but it’s pretty good” and then they rate in the high 80’s -90’s so I’m just curious as to how it tastes”

I was talking about A&D’s Yunnan Golden Tips :)

So do you guys have any keemuns you love and would recommend? It’s probably my next mission, try lots of keemuns

boychik

I loved A&D’s Yunnan Golden Tips. But i tried lots of others so its some point it very hard to say this is the best. its very good solid quality tea. And I love gongfu it. i think it shows the best qualities. You lady need a sample. We are all different. you found mushrooms in Special Dark;)

Good to know, thanks!

And yes….sooo much mushrooms :(

i really like teavivre’s keemuns! a few of them have smokey notes though, not all….as a heads up. To be fair i prefer some of teavivre’s keemuns to the A&D keemun…it was different than i expected it to be, but i’m enjoying it nonetheless

whatshesaid

Hmm I tried one the other day and didn’t like it as much as this for some reason!

MzPriss

I’m attempting to get started on working my way through Upton’s keemuns. I got a bunch of different ones to sample – I just haven’t done it yet.