Eastern Beauty

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaBrat

• “Apologies - I have a bit of a tea backlog to get through because not only was my internet down most of the evening yesterday, Steepster seemed to be down as well! It was driving me crazy. So I have...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2229 tasting notes
  • “A short foray into the Aroma Tea Shop this afternoon which is in San Francisco's Richmond District. A very unpretentious little store. The Owner is quite nice and humorous and offers free tea...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2342 tasting notes

From Aroma Tea Shop

Also known as “Champagne Oolong” for its honey like aroma, this very popular Formosa Oolong is a highly oxidized oolong with distinctive white silver tips. This tea is prized for its malt like sweetness followed with a smooth desirable finish.

About Aroma Tea Shop View company

Apologies – I have a bit of a tea backlog to get through because not only was my internet down most of the evening yesterday, Steepster seemed to be down as well! It was driving me crazy. So I have like 8 tasting notes/additional infusion notes written down in a Word document to paste into here (probably a good plan anyways, but it irritated me not to be able to post thing as I was drinking them).

This one’s another sample thanks to Amy Oh! :D

My notes are scarce (I was talking with/listening to drunken roommates while drinking it), but I noted that it tasted sweet and woody-ish (a flavour I find common in late infusions of green oolongs, and earlier in oxidized oolongs). I am wondering if my infusion time/temp/amount of leaf were off though; since I couldn’t access brewing parameters, I just made them up myself, and although they’re typically ok for an oolong, I think a longer infusion would have been better, at the very least. So this one tasted alright, but definitely needs some tweaking (and I definitely have enough leaf left to do that, since Amy sent me a very generous amount!) I’ll withhold a rating until then.

Thanks again, Amy!

Indigobloom

Steepster was definitely down!! frustrated the heck outta me :/

Kittenna

Tonight hasn’t been much better… taking advantage of a brief period of availability to read some notes!

A short foray into the Aroma Tea Shop this afternoon which is in San Francisco’s Richmond District. A very unpretentious little store. The Owner is quite nice and humorous and offers free tea tastings. I probably tried about 10 different teas before I ended up taking this one (the Milk oolong was also quite good).

So the Eastern beauty or Oriental Beauty is known as the champagne of oolongs. There is a good reason for this comparison. I am not an expert by any means on this tea, but I found this to be slightly sweet with a faint plummy/nectarine base and light minerality. I don’t get “malt” at all here, I’m reminded a bit more of honey. Not bitter or astringent in any way. Really hit its stride for me after the first steeping. This will be a very forgiving oolong you don’t have to worry too much about oversteeping. I will also have to try cold brewing this as I am sure it will make a fantastic iced tea. I need to experiment a bit with my ideal tea/water ratio. The rating will most likely go up if I get that figured out.