Zheng Shan Xiao Zhong (AKA Lapsang Souchong)

Edit tea info Last updated by CharlotteZero

• “I don't taste any smoke in this tea. It isn't a very complex cup, but it is good. It has a milk chocolate-like aroma and a bit of malt. That's it! It was a very pleasant after dinner tea.” Read full tasting note
    CharlotteZero 372 tasting notes
  • “*CharlotteZero* sent this one my way. ....and let me tell you about how this was my favourite cup of tea today. Seriously. This had ZERO smoke in it, which was a little disappointing in my books,...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4840 tasting notes

From Aroma Tea Shop

Unlike the over the top smoky export versions of Lapsang Souchong, our Zheng Shan Xiao Zhong is made from an old Tong Mu Qi Lan sub-varietal tea bush, produced and located at the Tong Mu Village, which is mainly the birthplace of Lapsang Souchong teas.

Although sometimes referred as the non-smoky version of Lapsang Souchong, our Zheng Shan Xiao Zhong, is very sweet smelling, with strong hints of caramel, chocolate, deep and rich malty flavors, followed with a honey like aftertaste. This is very different from the usual export versions of Laspsang Souchong.

About Aroma Tea Shop View company

I don’t taste any smoke in this tea. It isn’t a very complex cup, but it is good. It has a milk chocolate-like aroma and a bit of malt. That’s it! It was a very pleasant after dinner tea.

CharlotteZero sent this one my way. ….and let me tell you about how this was my favourite cup of tea today. Seriously. This had ZERO smoke in it, which was a little disappointing in my books, but then the caramel, chocolatey DECLICIOUSNESS hit me and i was log zomg, must drink…and then the cup was all done and i was boiling water to make a second cup. Seriously….this could probably rival my love for LB. Also…it’s slightly more expensive but it makes me sad i never got to this shop when i was in San Fran. I think even courtney would like this one… no smoke! I have a sneaking suspicion that there will be an aroma tea order in my future.. ..maybe this one can join the BBB Box as my tea next round if i get some. :)

Final Count: 150 which is the suck as i wanted at least 5 more sipdowns this weekend but that just means more tea drinking should be had this week! :) Still aiming for 130 by the end of next weekend, though i think that’s highly unlikely at this point so maaaybe 140 would be more doable lol.

Terri HarpLady

not smoky? is it more like the Zheng Shan xiao zhong from YS that we loved so much? (also not smokey)

it’s more like the YS one…though this one seemed stupidly chocolatey…like that first time i ever had LB. I’ll add some to your box or the BB from the samples that CZ sent me as i’ve got enough…but i suspect i’ll be purchasing some of this at some point. i really loved it.

yyz

I love these versions of LS. I still want to find the one I had that tasted like a chocolate, caramel oolong.