Caramelized Pear

Fruit Rooibos Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Yum! I do love this tisane. I was a little worried when I read some of the recent tasting notes from those who also subscribed to the Steepster Select box, because I have tried this tisane...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4423 tasting notes
  • “I was thrilled to receive a tea swap package from the lovely teaplz recently and this was in it. Oh, Steepsterites. Pear tea is not something I've had a lot of good luck with. It's my...” Read full tasting note
    takgoti 260 tasting notes
  • “Luscious! Completely fantastic rooibos dessert tisane! Caramel and fruitiness (pear, but faintly sweet fruity real pear) and the rooibos adding depth and holding everything together. I added a...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “My new stressful-yet-awesome job plus the arrival of dreaded finals have kept me off of Steepster for a while. But today, something happened that both revived my faith in humankind _and_ provided...” Read full tasting note
    zildjianpride 176 tasting notes

From Art of Tea

One of Art of Tea’s most popular offerings, this delectable dessert infusion is sweet and flavorful with notes of honey, caramel, and fresh baked pear.

Water Temperature: 206 F degrees
Caffeine Content: Caffeine Free
Steep Time: 5-7 minutes
Suggested Serving Size: 1 Tbsp/8oz
Ingredients: Organic Fair Trade South African Rooibos, Organic Honeybush, Organic Apple Bits, Organic Marigolds, Natural Flavors
Origin: Art of Tea Blend

About Art of Tea View company

Art of Tea is a tea importer and wholesaler based in Los Angeles, California. We hand blend and custom craft the world’s finest organic teas and botanicals. Our teas are carefully selected directly from growers, each one offering a unique story.

OH-MY-GOD…. I might need some good old fashioned smelling salts to get me up off the ground! I have been searching for a really good pear tea and Mighty Leaf’s Pear Caramel was divine but THIS tea (swooning…), well, as my little old Irish Catholic aunts who lived well into their 90’s would have said, “HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!”

I say!

I just got an order of several tins from The Art of Tea and when I opened this one, well, it was undoubtedly the most incredible tea I have ever had the pleasure of burying my nose in. And it stayed in there awhile. And it didn’t want to come out.

Takogti has written about it so well and I’m shouting Hallelujah’s in agreement with her every word that I don’t need to go on and on here but I am going to order more immediately. I never want to be without this tea. I love Rooibos in a good flavored tea and have had many good ones but this tea is so over the top mere words (And I’m writing a book on tea so I have a lot of words to sling around and through the leaves and their various components…) simply cannot do this tea justice.

Oh, the agony of the leaves…. Oh, the piercing profundity of the empty cup. I think I’m going down in an old fashioned Victorian decline as the last of it is finished…

I’m not sure that I should even be writing this review. I’m not sure this is even LEGAL. Surely it’s an opiate of sorts and should be hidden. I for one am going to hide it in my house. I shan’t share this with a single soul!

Ssshhhhhh……

I’m not a big fan of this one…I was hoping I would be but it isn’t to my taste. It smells like fig newtons dry (I kinda like that) but after it’s brewed it tastes mostly of rooibos and something else fruity. It’s a little sweet. I’m glad I got to try it though:)

Art of Tea lists this as one of their most popular teas; I believe them. From the scent of the dry leaves to the taste of the brewed tea, this is absolutely, unambiguously, deliciously candied pear. I steeped 1.5 teaspoons in about 8 oz of boiling water for ten minutes, then added a bit of my favorite sweetener.

The resulting brew smells strongly of a ripe Bartlett pear (or even like the taste of a Juicy Pear jelly bean, or at least what I remember a Juicy Pear jelly bean tastes like), with perhaps a hint of tart apple lingering beneath. On sipping the tea, I first taste rich, golden caramel, then sweet juicy pear, and then the two mingle. I get no other notes, so this isn’t exactly the most complex tea around, but it’s seriously tasty to a pear-lover such as myself.

I got this tea in a sampler, but I will definitely by more when I run out.

200 °F / 93 °C 8 min or more

Normally this type of tea isn’t my cup of tea, but I decided to try it simply because it sounded yummy and it tastes just like a caramelized pear, point blank! The pear is sweet and juicy tasting with a hint of tartness as it slides down the back of my tongue. Kudos to the Art of Tea for blending a great tea with great flavor and balance!

Dry aroma is undefinably synthetic to me, but it brightens and sweetens in the cup as the rooibos makes itself known.

This being a rooibos, I have plenty of time to contemplate the odor while the steep time passes. What does it remind me of? There is certainly something of a reminder of autumn. Certainly not fresh pear. More like… hmm… pear butter simmering away in a slow cooker. Or poached pears. Yes, it reminds me of autumn in the mountains where I rented a studio for a year and a half. A cherry-wood fire burns slowly in the iron wood stove, fueled by old prunings from the local cherry orchards. My landlady’s pear tree has produced a great excess of fruit, and none of it wants to stay on the tree. Countertops are littered with bowls, baskets, and paper bags full of windfall pears dropped while still underripe. Even more underripe pears wait out the winter in the crisper drawer. As the bounty of pears ripens, I use pears in every way I can think of. Eating out of hand. Pear scones. Pear cobbler. Poached pears. Pear butter. Pears go in salad, on swiss chard, in oatmeal. They make their way into breakfast and dessert. Excursions into the hills are accompanied by bags stuffed with pears. I eat pears under oaks laden with acorns, under maples dropping huge yellow leaves, under the shadows of canyon walls where the mountain stream winds around groves of alder and stands of blackberry.

Tasting this tea, I half-expect to feel the granular texture of those pears on my tongue. I half-expect to smell wood smoke and feel the bite of mountain air.

Forest fires raced through that area in may, and I haven’t been up the road to the lake since. Most homes survived, including my former landlady’s, but I’m uncertain which houses were burnt, or what the fire did to the landscape – to the stands of live oak, the streamside alder groves, the hillsides dark green with shoulder-high tangles of mountain mahogany and bush rue and chokecherries.

I’ll visit again, I know. In autumn I’ll make my way to orchards of peach and pear, and perhaps stop by my former landlady’s house. Maybe I’ll ask permission to once again gather dandelion greens and shaggy mane mushrooms from her field, and windfall pears from beneath her tree. And after a couple of weeks of ripening in the warmer october days in the valley, they’ll taste much like this tea. Sweet without need for any added sweetener, with a slight burnt-sugar tang. Or will that tang be missing when the house is not filled with the scent of smoke from a cherry-wood fire?

I bought a sample size of this tea due to lots of very positive reviews. This tea is unusual and, I am sorry to say, not for me. I’ve tried it hot and I’ve tried it cold. I’ll not be buying again. The smell of the dry blend is strange and not particularly appealing to me. That did not deter me because teas often change in water. This one did not – the brew still had a strange aroma. The taste seems strong with rooibos and another taste which I am unable to identify.

It tastes like pear, but I don’t think I want to drink pear. The taste is weak – you taste pear and then it kind of wimps out, at least for me. Probably because it is rooibos.