Lapsang Souchong Superior Smoked Tea

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Art of Tea

Traditionally carried by camel across Asia from China to Europe, this tea would arrive with a signature smoky aroma from the fires that the caravans burned for warmth. Still popular today, the organic leaves are smoked over pine needles and yield a distinctive aroma that goes especially well with savory dishes.

Water Temperature: 206 F degrees
Caffeine Content: Medium Bold
Steep Time: 3-5 minutes
Ingredients: Organic Black Tea
Origin: Fujian, China

About Art of Tea View company

Art of Tea is a tea importer and wholesaler based in Los Angeles, California. We hand blend and custom craft the world’s finest organic teas and botanicals. Our teas are carefully selected directly from growers, each one offering a unique story.

I think I need to use more leaf the next time I brew this. It’s very light and delicate this morning, with just the faintest hint of that wood-smoke flavor. I think I prefer it thicker and smokier. Still so good, and still reminds me of Aunt Della’s and fall. This is definitely going to be my fall/winter morning go-to tea. I need to branch out and try some other Lapsang Souchongs, since this is the only one I’ve had.

I really liked the Golden Moon Lapsang Souchong – you might want to try that one. It’s pretty strong but very nicely flavored!

Thanks for the info! I’ll have to check it out. There’s a few Golden Moons that I’ve been looking at. I wonder if this one is in their sampler.

Yes, it’s in the sampler – it’s my favorite one from the sampler in fact.

I might just have to cave and get it.

I completely forgot I had this when I was digging through – all blurry-eyed – for a good black tea this morning. This was sent to me by Jaime in a tea swap a couple of months back. I hadn’t even touched it. Not for lack of want, just lots of reviews to get outta the way. Anyway, I’m glad I did. On first (aromatic) impression, it seemed like a gentler smoked tea than others I’ve tried. It was smoky and toasty but not forest-fiery in its delivery. Flavor-wise, I had a similar impression. This tasted rather crisp, actually. It was a blunt black, but not in the “burn-your-eyebrows-off” sorta way. In short, I liked it. Quite surprised by its character.

smoked= kinda wired.
I’m trying

We’re cheering you on!

Lapsang is not for the faint of heart, it’s one of the boldest teas for aroma, and yet the flavor of the brew is very well balanced, with earthy smokyness, that is reminiscent of a good steak. This is one of my favorite teas for a cold day, in front of the fireplace. It also pairs well with chocolate bars, marshmallow, and graham crackers (s’mores)