Mandarin Silk

Oolong Tea
Cream, Grass, Lemon Zest
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I've been wanting to try this tea for a while so I broke down and got one of the little mini tins. If you have the coconut pouchong from Golden Moon, there are some similarities. This flavored...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2397 tasting notes
  • “I decided at the last second to throw this on my Art of Tea order and I'm really very glad that I did. From dry leaf to steeping liquid to final product, this tea's scents remained rather...” Read full tasting note
    takgoti 260 tasting notes
  • “Hands down this is my new favorite tea! Hot, cold, iced, with milk, without milk, sugar, no sugar it's great every which way! I highly recommend this tea, sweet and smooth as silk! ” Read full tasting note
    shae050 132 tasting notes
  • “The dry leaf smells creamy. I can occasionally catch a whiff of pouching greenness. But the foremost smell is creamy… something. Vanilla, a hint of dreamsicle-like citrus and something that...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes

From Art of Tea

Organic Pouchong tea leaves blended with organic lemon myrtle, marigolds, and natural essence of vanilla. Delivers a smooth, rich flavor with hints of cream and a stimulating citrus finish. The 2008 Winner Best Flavored Oolong by the Specialty Tea Institute, Tea Association of America.

About Art of Tea View company

Art of Tea is a tea importer and wholesaler based in Los Angeles, California. We hand blend and custom craft the world’s finest organic teas and botanicals. Our teas are carefully selected directly from growers, each one offering a unique story.

I can’t believe I haven’t written a tasting note for this tea yet! I’ve had it many times, but I guess I haven’t been in the mood to write anything about it. Today I’m TRYING to be productive and make some progress on a paper and another assignment.. but I’d much rather read or nap instead!

It seems like every single time I drink this tea, I keep expecting there to be a stronger flavor. It could be that the scent is so strong that I’m expecting a cup that’s insanely creamy and tangy.. but each time it’s a little bit watered down. It’s not a bad cup at all, it’s just not what I expect every time I brew. It’s quite soft and smooth, but not terribly silky. The oolong remains in the background and the vanilla and the citrus are what I really taste. The citrus is quite interesting because it’s not tart, but a bit bitter… the kind of bitter that I don’t like all that much. It reminds me a little bit of unripe oranges. I think the vanilla is the redeeming flavor in this blend.

This makes a very pleasing cup. I still have a whole bunch of this tea so I need to drink this one more often! In the future, I think I’ll buy a smaller amount of tea as there are other oolongs that I like a bit more… but this one is still delicious.

Got this from Queen of Tarts:)

I woke up in the mood for a lemon tea, but the 2 that interested me didn’t have caffeine, so I thought I should save those till later. So picked this instead. I like it well enough, though this is only my 1st cup of it, I think I might be inclined to order more when it’s done. But we’ll see.
It’s light, and sweet. A little bit grassy. Last taste on my tongue is some astringency, but not a bad thing. Something tells me that this tea would not make a good iced tea. Probably wouldn’t be terrible….just uninspiring.
It is raining outside, was going to go grocery shopping, because not much food in the house, but with the weather, I’d rather stay in, drink a few cups of tea and do some writing that I keep putting off.

Meh. It’s stopped raining. I guess grocery shopping is in the cards afterall. Probably just as well…need food.

The aroma of this tea was intoxicating as soon as the hot water hit it. I love a good vanilla oolong and this certainly smelled like one. The taste was sweetly floral with heavy doses of cream and a hint of citrus in the finish. I was definitely still able to taste the greenness of the pouchong base.

Lemon Myrtle has become a favorite component of mine lately. It adds an aroma that follows through with a wonderful lemony richness without the tartness of lemon. Vanilla creme is a now a very popular flavor addition, so I think Art of Tea has been right on with their blending creations.

I enjoyed this blend very much.

mthiel87

I enjoyed this blend by Art of Tea very much too, I am trying it out on customers, so far a great reception!

Packaging: “blooming, expanding, connecting” my favourite line on the package. It’s part of their logo and I think it does a great job at explaining exactly why they are here. Tea was delivered in a resealable stand up pouch labelled with the information about the tea (description, ingredients, steep time)

First Sip Thought: “Where’d the vanilla go?”

Smell: The dried leaves have an exquisite natural vanilla scent to them. I would say I enjoy the scent of the leaves before they are steeped better than afterwards. It’s not a horrible smell, but after filling the space with a sweet aroma it’s definitely a change to have something smell complete opposite.

Taste: I call this blend a tease because it smells like it will have a really sweet taste from the overpowering smell of vanilla but it does not. I feel like the natural vanilla scent kind of disappeared, and I could no longer smell or even taste it. However, you can definitely taste a smooth, rich blend of the lemon myrtle and marigolds. I have never tried this combination in any form before and was really surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I thought I would be disappointed after realizing it didn’t taste how it first smelled but it ended up being a great blend to sit and enjoy while getting my creative mind running on high speed.

www.theteacupoflife.blogspot.ca

I ended up with this by accident. I placed an order with Amazon for Art of Tea’s Silver Needles and their Coconut Cream, and was sent this Mandarin Silk instead of the Silver Needles. Just a human error, I think – the packing label said Silver Needles. So I contacted Amazon and they said “We’re very sorry. We’ll refund your account; place another order for the Silver Needles and dispose of the Mandarin Silk in whatever way you feel fit.”
So I drank it.
And it’s good.

The leaves in the tin are very fragrant – sort of like oranges and cream. They’re rolled into very long, thin leaves. It brews a beautiful bronze color, and the light shining through it is lovely! It’s definitely a dessert tea, and it’s complimented well with a little bit of sugar – I use about a teaspoon of German rock sugar. Delicious.

I was right: to extract any flavor from this, you have to use a lot of leaves. I’m at 1 Tbsp per 12oz cup. This is sort of sensible: because the leaves are so big and fluffy and loosely packed, maybe this is actually less tea by weight than I use with other teas. I don’t know.

So the most amazing thing about this tea is still the smell of the dried leaves. It’s all vanilla-y and some citrus and wow. The tea, once brewed, tastes pretty much the same, albeit less so.

Maybe I’m still being unfair because the dried leaves smell of such promise: if someone just gave me a prepared cup of this tea, perhaps I would be more impressed, but as it is I’m still not loving this as much as some of the other folks here. Still, it’s not like it’s undrinkable or anything.

My taste buds might be a little fatigued by all the roasty oolongs and black teas I’ve been drinking recently, they’re all starting to taste just a little too similar. So this tea happens to be a wonderful palette cleanser. For an oolong, it’s very green, and it does have that little bit of astringency to it, but in this case it’s not a negative attribute. In the afternoon it’s downright refreshing.

Steeped in a mug Western style. Along with the greeness, this tea is full of the baked-treats goodness I remember from before. It’s very hard to tell from the first steep that it was even blended or flavored with other ingredients, as the overall effect is just so naturally harmonious. Only in the second cup are the citrus notes evident, and it ends up like a creamy lemon meringue pie. Pleasantly surprised, since previously I could only get this from cold brewing.

By the way, any ideas on how to brew oolong/black tea less sweet? Every cup I’ve made with my Verdants in the last few days tasted like it had too much fruit juice in it, whether I’ve tried to make it gongfu style or used Western proportions. The only thing I changed recently is that I started using a larger kettle so that I would have enough water to rinse and do a few infusions. Previously I had a tiny, single-serving kettle that was…cute but not ideal. Due to design issues, I had to watch the small kettle like a hawk, usually stopping it around 160-180F, but I let the large kettle come to a full boil and often wander away in the meantime. That’s all I can think of.

I’m pretty sure this one came my way from ifjuly! I’ve had it at work forever and lost track of it. Found it today and steeped it up. It’s a nice, smooth oolong with vanilla and a bit of citrus to it. I think I prefer Tea Merchant’s Silk Dragon but this is a pretty nice option and I wouldn’t turn down a cup. :)

Thank you QueenOfTarts for a sample of this one a while back! As I expected, I’m pretty sure this is the same blend as The Tea Merchant’s Silk Dragon. Same ingredients, same taste. Not a bad thing! I have a bit of the sample left of that one, and I’m happy to have a bit of this one left. It’s a nice oolong with a hint of lemon and vanilla. This blend seemed to have less vanilla, but maybe the Tea Merchant’s blend was as fresh as possible when I first tried it. It’s a nice one! I just wish it had more lemon or tasted more like creamsicle like another tasting note mentioned.