Painted Desert

Chocolate, Cinnamon, Pepper, Saffron
Edit tea info Last updated by sren

From August Uncommon Tea

crisp black tea with chili and chocolate

Tastes Like
dried pasilla chili, mexican cinnamon, cacao

About August Uncommon Tea View company

I’m finally digging into the most recent box from my Tea Sister Sil, reaching in and grabbing something randomly, and this was the sample of the day.

It’s terrible, LOL. I tried not to have an opinion up front, but I’ve tried similar things, and I knew I probably wouldn’t like it. I even tried adding a little sweetening to see if that helped, but it didn’t, at least not for me.

I should also mention that a year ago I added Nightshades to my long list of foods that I have reactions to, and so I haven’t been eating anything with potatoes, tomatoes, peppers or chili’s since then, resulting in a major improvement in my health, and although I thought I probably wouldn’t have a problem with a little tea, I was wrong. Within a few sips my cheeks started flushing, so I tried to pawn the rest of the tea off on one of my sons, and he didn’t like it either. I always hate dumping tea out, but gone are the days of me forcing myself to drink something I don’t care for! There are so many better tasting teas to drink!

Still, thanks for the opportunity Sister!

haha sorrry it was so terrible. But at least you know. And i have no issues with things going down the drain :)

Terri HarpLady

LOL, not your fault! :)

Thank you to Dexter and Sil for sharing this.

It was… bad. So astringent. The chili barely made itself known, and the chocolate did not blend well with the astringent Ceylon base. “Brisk” is what they call it…

Even milk didn’t rescue it for me.

So disappointed. The flavours sounded like such a great combination after I tried Passage du Desir.

Dexter

:(( I guess they can’t all be winners…..

mrmopar

Dex you get an A for effort! Sharing is caring.

OMGsrsly

Normally Sil and my taste isn’t so far off. I think that if the base was different, I’d like it a lot more.

Weird. I enjoy this one, though it’s not stupid spicy

OMGsrsly

It’s not even a hint of spicy. :P

Final cup of this today because the last little bit of my sample is off to Shezza and Christina. I enjoyed this one immensely – not too spicey but interestingly enough to keep me satisfied!

Beautiful dark cup of tea— the color of maple syrup— aroma is toasty dark chocolate with a hint of heat from the chili. To me it like a bar of gourmet dark chocolate with chili pepper. I prefer the second steep, though, the chocolate flavor lessens and makes room for other, more subtle flavors— the depth of the “heat” which I thought was all chili but turns out to be partly from cinnamon. I keep thinking of saffron— had to check the ingredients, and it is the safflower. Very nice tea— I love how complex the August creations are, never what I expect.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cinnamon, Pepper, Saffron

A recent discussion thread peaked my interest in this company and since it was so close to home I decided to give them a go…. So they’re a little creative in their flavor notes (feels like soft warm mahogany) but wouldn’t you be too when your ingredients include Ceylon black tea, South American cocoa husk, Indonesian cinnamon, Chinese chili and Iranian safflower petals?? Man… I don’t want to think about the carbon footprint of this tea… (its also blended in Germany)… but doesn’t it sound delicious???

This tea is seriously like a big warm hug!! Its the perfect blend of cocoa and spice, no one flavor overpowers any of the others, they’re all in perfect harmony!! A splash of milk adds a delicious creamy mouth feel to the end of each of my sips.

I can see why this tea was a winter release for August Uncommon! Unfortunately its probably a little too warm in California these days to be drinking this but I can see myself hoarding the remainder for the winter months around a fire watching the snow come down… assuming it ever snows again in California…
sren

I just had my first cup of this. Complex and delicious. Every tea I have tried from AU so far has had the “hug” quality that you mentioned and in entirely different ways.

sren

Beelicious gave the only rating for this tea so far at “88” but Steepster’s overall rating is “79.” How does that work?

Fjellrev

Sounds delicious, and that really is crazy to think how this tea all came together with ingredients from all corners of the world.

Indigobloom

there is an algorithm they use for ratings, I think there is a base “rating” given sort of like Steepster has its own opinion heh. (same for every one though, to be fair!)

sren

Thanks for the info, Indigobloom. It must weighted to take into account the number of ratings.

Indigobloom

Yeah I think so too, that rings a bell. There is a thread floating in the forums somewhere about it