Blueberry, Sour, Yogurt, Caramel, Chocolate, Rye
Edit tea info Last updated by Sil
Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 7 g 16 oz / 473 ml

• “Chocolate and something. The caraway (which honestly I usually detest) wasn’t extremely prevalent. But it was more of a savoury chocolate tea, and I much preferred the sweetness of Passage de...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 2197 tasting notes
  • “Drinking though a few of the August Uncommon teas that Sil sent to me. Wow – this is really fun. A little unusual but really interesting. It’s just a really nice...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 998 tasting notes
  • “I am really eager to try this blend as I’ve never had a tea blend with caraway included. It sounds like such an interesting combination – assam tea, caraway, cacao.. so unique! Plus, I love the...” Read full tasting note
    QueenOfTarts 604 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! My previous lack of success with this tea prompted me to give it a much shorter steep time — 1.5 minutes compared to the recommended 5. It did make it much more tolerable —...” Read full tasting note
    faybingler 317 tasting notes

From August Uncommon Tea

Tastes Like: buttered pumpernickel, molasses, semisweet chocolate, guinness
Feels Like: morning in an old library

Dark wooden walls shoulder the weight of endless rows of well-loved books. The brooding tannins and rich, buttery aroma of this tea mimic the inviting yet austere atmosphere of an old library. Hints of cocoa and sweet almond enliven the mix like the occasional contemporary novel whose glossy cover puts the leatherbound classics into relief. A drop of milk tips the flavor towards a dark creamy stout. Like sinking into a crackled leather club chair to ponder the pages between your hands.

Ingredients: organic GFBOP assam tea, organic cacao shell, organic caraway, flavoring

About August Uncommon Tea View company

Chocolate and something. The caraway (which honestly I usually detest) wasn’t extremely prevalent. But it was more of a savoury chocolate tea, and I much preferred the sweetness of Passage de Desir (or whatever).

Nice tea, but the flavours aren’t for me at all.

Thank you for sharing all the teas, Sil!

anytime!

OMGsrsly

:) I really really wish the other teas didn’t have poopy BARLEY in them! But I think I’ll be happy with Passage.

Drinking though a few of the August Uncommon teas that Sil sent to me.
Wow – this is really fun. A little unusual but really interesting. It’s just a really nice molasses, chocolate, bready black tea – and then there is this something in the background – if you don’t read the ingredient list it’s hard to put your finger on it. But then yep – that’s it – caraway – that’s why it’s a little pumpernickel bread ish. Awesome – in a strange kind of way.
I need more of this in my life – even though I don’t think it’s the kind of tea that I would drink everyday (that’s probably a good thing – it’s pretty expensive) – but on those days you need something special – this would totally fit the bill.
Thank you so much Sil for sharing.

I am really eager to try this blend as I’ve never had a tea blend with caraway included. It sounds like such an interesting combination – assam tea, caraway, cacao.. so unique! Plus, I love the idea of this tea bringing to mind a library and old books.

Sipping… hm, the first thing that I taste is the smooth black tea base and the cacao. It reminds me of other chocolate and black tea blends I’ve had in the past. There is a tiny bit of astringency as well. A strange thing happens after I’ve sipped.. a bit of a buttery flavor blossoms on the tongue. It reminds me of caramel squares and buttered toast. I also pick up on hazelnuts and very lightly, cherries in syrup. The finish is very drying, but it’s still drinkable despite being slightly unpleasant. I can’t seem to pick up on the caraway flavor… but then again, I’ve never had caraway in a tea.. so I could be tasting it, but just not know it.

Overall, I enjoyed this tea and I appreciate that it had many different flavors to discover. I’m not sure that I really experienced the library comparison just by taste… perhaps the description is slightly far-fetched, but it was certainly interesting. I’m excited to see how my next cup will be when I add a bit of milk!

Sipdown!

My previous lack of success with this tea prompted me to give it a much shorter steep time — 1.5 minutes compared to the recommended 5. It did make it much more tolerable — with prominent chocolate, caramel, and blueberry notes and a suggestion of rye bread — but it unfortunately had an overall note that reminded me enough of my previous failures that I couldn’t get fully into it. The drying effect was less harsh this go round, but still present. Overall I think this tea just isn’t for me. While this cup wasn’t bad enough to deserve a 35 (probably more like a 60-65), I think I’ll keep the rating the same as my previous experiences were just so off-putting.

Flavors: Blueberry, Caramel, Chocolate, Rye

This tea, wow! My first impressions is amazing. I would compare this tea to eating french chocolate covered pretzels or french fries dipped in icecream. Its the savory sweet combo. It has a good hearty base, with some cocoa flavor and then there is something in there that adds this “leather” feel to it. Something that brings it to the savory side. I steeped this twice this morning which is something I do not always do with flavored teas and both infusions were great. I am looking forward to seeing how my opinion holds up on this one with time. I may have to put in an order for a tin, yep that good.

i picked this one up without trying it in my august uncommon order because of the description: Feels Like: morning in an old library i hate descriptions like this…how does that tell me what the tea is like? yeah it doesn’t. until you drink it..and then you’re like OMG i get it!!! i love libraries and reading…and i am super happy with this tea. Dry, this smells like delicious chocolate and guiness. brewed there’s a slight amaretto/marzipan taste underlying the chocolate. i love this one. I love it slightly less than the passage du desire, but this is still a great tea imo. Different, smooth..soo nice.

Christina / BooksandTea

Is this the one with the caraway?

OMGsrsly

Ok, I’m more curious now. Old books too? Papery and earthy?

Haha obviously, I’ll send some when I get around to mailing things to people. I have 120g so lots to share.

OMGsrsly

No rush. I have a box for you too! Also, I found the French butter keeper. But it’s blue. You interested?

the what now? OH we got one from the wedding..ian wanted to keep it. so we did. well it’s jsut a covered butter dish.

OMGsrsly

The one I have keeps butter fresh even in summer outside of the fridge. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_butter_dish

Alyssa

Does it smell anything like an old book? Like those old books that smell like vanilla and musk?

a little bit. :)