Ventura Highway

Oolong Tea
Oolong
Edit tea info Last updated by Daylon R Thomas

From August Uncommon Tea

Tastes Like: meyer lemon curd, fresh grass, linen
Feels Like: driving down the californian coast

Few drives have the gentle drama of the route winding along the 101 highway from Los Angeles to Montecito and beyond. Once you cross the border into Ventura County, the city chaos fades away, leaving your body lighter with each inhale of crisp saline air. The summer breeze whips your hair in tune with rolling hills and marvelous ocean views. The sunlight glints playfully along the waves. This tea is mellow and slightly sweet as green oolongs go. Chilling this tea softens the buttery character to produce notes of wildflower honey, lemon verbena, and sweet clover. The bright citrus notes and undercurrent of sweet freshly cut grass in this tea summon the freedom of the open road and the spirit of easy breezy summer days.

A tea for lazy mornings and meandering afternoons.

Ingredients: organic green oolong tea from chiang rai province, thailand
*certified organic by Lacon GmbH

About August Uncommon Tea View company

This is a queued tasting note.

So far I’ve tried three out of the five teas from August Uncommon’s Spring/Summer collection and right now this is my favourite of the ones I’ve tried. It’s also the only “pure” tea in this collection – take from that what you will.

While I was tempted to brew it Gong Fu I ultimately decided that was probably not how AU imagined people to be drinking it. AU is very artistic/poetic with how they market their teas and I greatly love that approach as I generally tend to view tea as a more artful experience than a precise process. Not that there’s anything wrong with Gong Fu: I still love brewing Gong Fu style BUT I think doing this one Western and looking for more aesthetic flavour descriptions honors the tea a little more… if that makes any sense?

This was just so clean and clear cut flavour wise: I thought the top notes were perfectly sweet and captured the taste of lemon curd in the same way that you’d get from a home baked lemon meringue pie made by your grandma or a cupcake with lemon whip frosting sold in that quaint “passed down generation by generation” bake shop on the corner of the street that still does everything by hand.

Body notes were really clean with fresh and crisp grassy note that make you think of summer time picnics or road tripping with all the windows rolled down on a beautiful, breezy day mid June. The finish was playfully floral and lingered lightly on the bed of my tongue. Honestly, it was just a REALLY nice cup.

When putting together my song pairing I was so tempted to go with a Chainsmokers song because they’ve been SO BIG lately and I love them a lot; I thought that their music would match the clear cut vision that August Uncommon had when describing this tea. Which, I should add, they did perfectly. But I couldn’t find something that sat quite right…

And so this was the pairing I went with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMNQYI9uuEs&list=WL&index=3

It’s not The Chainsmokers – but I think the breezy, summery vibes and sweet, playful tone of the singer’s voice fit just as well if not better than The Chainsmokers would have. And I think it honours to aesthetic nature of the tea – which is how August Uncommon chooses to market.

Another Gift from the lovely Whiteantlers.

And a new one.

This has got to be a Jin Xuan. There is a little bit of a lemon custard quality in the aftertaste, but it’s otherwise a creamy light green oolong. The leaves are actually pretty big and stemy. HIGHLY spinachy, but not overly vegetal. I’ll try it again, but I’m not too impressed.