Denong Pu-erh Brick (2006 vintage - autumn harvest)

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by tiffanypicard

• “I thought this one was delicious. Very smooth and sweet for a pu-erh tea, I steeped mine in the gaiwan for 30 - 60 seconds each time. The flavors are fruity, I definitely get the date flavor and...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2577 tasting notes
  • “First pouring had a nice light but rich earthy tone with only the tiniest bit of the fishy taste. As in, I usually have a hard time with that aspect of pu'erhs but it made a nice touch in this....” Read full tasting note
    RumpusParable 282 tasting notes
  • “This is a really lovely tea. Unfortunately I didn't take notes like I usually do when I try a new tea, so I can't remember my exact impressions. However, I do remember being pleasantly surprised...” Read full tasting note
    tiffanypicard 15 tasting notes
  • “This is a quiet, mellow tea to my taste buds with gentle flavors of tobacco, earth, and citrus. It really does go well after a meal as suggested by Bana Tea. I've enjoyed the tea through multiple...” Read full tasting note
    javan 36 tasting notes

From Bana Tea Company

Type: Ripe (fermented) Pu-erh (Grades 4-6)
Production area: Menghai, Yunnan Province

Taste characteristics:
This tea, produced from small tea bushes, won the bronze medal at the Second China Yunnan Pu-erh Tea International Fair of 2007. The brew is rusty-red in color and exhibits a smooth earthy date flavor with a sweet aftertaste that is comforting and pleasing to the palate. It is best consumed after a meal.

About Bana Tea Company View company

I thought this one was delicious. Very smooth and sweet for a pu-erh tea, I steeped mine in the gaiwan for 30 – 60 seconds each time.

The flavors are fruity, I definitely get the date flavor and aroma, or maybe raisin. The wet leaves are dark and smell of cocoa and the forest. A very rich and earthy cup. Bana gets my vote for some of the best pu-erhs I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. I was surprised this one did not do higher in the other ratings. I think maybe pu-erh is an acquired taste…

I needed something to revive me today and this is helping, very uplifting!

ScottTeaMan

So, if I get some sample packs of Puerh teas, you would recommend Bana?!
Do any other companies come to mind for Puerhs?

ashmanra

Scott, send your address and I will send a sample of loose osmanthus puerh from purepuer.com if you like. I want the little gift baskets of puerh tuo cha on the tea gifts page. Too cute!

TeaBrat

I do recommend Bana. Verdant also has sampler packs for puerh. And Red Blossom is great for loose leaf pu-erh but no samples.

ScottTeaMan

ash—I’ll PM you later. :))

Thanks Amy. :))

First pouring had a nice light but rich earthy tone with only the tiniest bit of the fishy taste. As in, I usually have a hard time with that aspect of pu’erhs but it made a nice touch in this.

Second, basically the same but a little stronger.

I won’t go on. I’ll just say this is one I like.

This is a really lovely tea. Unfortunately I didn’t take notes like I usually do when I try a new tea, so I can’t remember my exact impressions.

However, I do remember being pleasantly surprised by how smooth and sweet it was. It was very flavorful and rich, like with a strong walnut and maple syrup notes. There was just a tad bit of earthy mushroom flavor that complemented the sweetness as well. Another complex, rich treat from Bana Tea Co.

This is a quiet, mellow tea to my taste buds with gentle flavors of tobacco, earth, and citrus. It really does go well after a meal as suggested by Bana Tea. I’ve enjoyed the tea through multiple steepings.

Got a buzz after drinking; don’t plan on going anywhere.