Moonlight White Cake

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Awkward Soul

• “I am so excited - I ordered a raw pu-erh sampler and a cooked pu-erh sampler from the Bana Tea Company and picked them up at the post office today! These are really very nicely packaged. Each tea...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2306 tasting notes
  • “This was another of the teas I tried in the 7-tea sampler set from Bana Tea Co. The three things that struck me about this tea were: 1) The name was lovely, and so poetic. 2) The leaves were...” Read full tasting note
    tiffanypicard 15 tasting notes
  • “This tea gave a very unexpected experience, as far as puerhs go. The leaves are a nice teal-green with white flakes throughout. I detected a sweet malty peach aroma from the leaves and expected a...” Read full tasting note
    TeaLam 15 tasting notes

From Bana Tea Company

Moonlight White (2007 vintage – late spring harvest)
Weight: 357g
Type: Non-fermented Pu’erh (Grade 1)
Production area: Xishuangbanna Prefecture, Yunnan Province

Taste characteristics: This tea is produced using a special technique wherein the leaves are dried at night, allowing a slight amount of oxidation. The result is a peach-yellow colored tea that exudes a mellow nectarine flavor. Full bodied, this tea has a nice smokiness that persists for many infusions. The aroma permeates the room as the tea is brewed and the taste is very pleasing and satisfying. Have a cup in the morning and afternoon to freshen up and de-stress.

About Bana Tea Company View company

I am so excited – I ordered a raw pu-erh sampler and a cooked pu-erh sampler from the Bana Tea Company and picked them up at the post office today!

These are really very nicely packaged. Each tea comes in a glassine envelope with a label and then they are stored together in a sheer organza bag. Also included are little brochures about the company and the tea. You know I will have fun drinking these! :)

I first picked this one to try. For a sheng of this age I was very surprised at how mellow it was. Steeped in the gaiwian – first infusion for two minutes and subsequent infusions for 30 seconds.

First infusion is very intense – leaves have a honey like aroma after being brewed. It is a sweet, mellow taste with hints of peach and a bit of maltiness. You get that pu-erh aged flavor on the back of your tongue.

Second and third infusions – the leaves are smelling a bit like a clean mountain lake. Fruitiness is giving way to a mineral like quality which tingles on the back of my tongue.

Fourth infusion – I believe I am picking up on the flavor that others have described as adzuki bean. A bit sweet and caramely.

Overall this has been a really great raw pu-erh experience with lots of flavors and tastes. I am getting a relaxing buzz from this. It is very sweet and soulful. I wonder how it will get different with age? Might have to consider picking up the entire cake but will wait until I try the others! Very yummmy.

LiberTEAS

I love it when tea is waiting for me at the post office!

Charles Thomas Draper

From what I saw on here their tea looks nice. I have to check the website

Charles Thomas Draper

I bookmarked it….

TeaBrat

Yes I have high hopes… will let you know. ;-)

1) The name was lovely, and so poetic.
2) The leaves were similarly lovely and poetic. Very big, fluffy leaves with lots of silver buds laced throughout, like moonlight dancing through the trees.
3) The flavor of this tea tasted to me like a high mountain Ceylon tea, but smoother and sweeter..!!

I suppose the varietal of tea plant from which Ceylons come is related to the teas used in Yunnan for puerh, but this was a complete surprise to me. The flavor was sweet and malty. Reading over the description of how this tea was made, perhaps the oxidation of the raw tea explains the ceylon-esque qualities.

But for whatever reason, the tea was fruity, smooth, malty, and very unique! It highlights the way that puerhs can taste completely different.

The sampler would be great for someone who would like to taste the wide array of flavors and characteristics that are possible in the world of puerh teas.

Cofftea

Is there a way to get an English version of the website?

tiffanypicard

Hi there,
The entire site’s in English at: http://www.banateacompany.com/

Cofftea

Thanks… banatea.com is chinese:(

This tea gave a very unexpected experience, as far as puerhs go.

The leaves are a nice teal-green with white flakes throughout. I detected a sweet malty peach aroma from the leaves and expected a typical sheng pu: peachy and a little harsh but pleasant; however there was none of that. Instead, after the first rinse, the aroma was malty and creamy like that of milk tea. I was totally blown away by how different this puerh tasted. The flavor was very complex from the first infusion: tastes of grains, honey, anise, beans, and licorice. A very savory tea with a lot for the tongue to ponder. The mouth-feel was very smooth and creamy, full-bodied and not a hint of dryness.

Even though the tea had some very good qualities, I have to say in the end I did not enjoy it very much. The red-tea, ceylon taste was just a bit too weird for me. Just not my ‘cup of tea,’ if you will. However, definitely worth a try.