Gold Blend Tea Bags

Edit tea info Last updated by Tom Baker

From Barry's Tea

A blend of the finest quality teas from the mountain slopes of Kenya, Rwanda and the Assam Valley of India. It has a uniquely refreshing flavour and bright golden colour.

Barry’s Gold Blend tea, Ireland’s favourite tea…the special tea for anytime.

About Barry's Tea View company

Quickly becoming the bagged tea of choice for my humans. Yes, bagged tea. They still strongly prefer loose leaf tea, so don’t get too disheartened. This is just a GOOD bagged tea. http://lyt-tea-reviews.blogspot.com/2010/06/review-english-tea-stores-barrys-gold.html

It’s a white Christmas in New York! :-) I’m visiting home, so this is what’s in my cup. Merry Christmas, Steepster!

TheTeaFairy

Merry Xmas to you also!

I should note that I am a tea lover, not a tea expert. Barry’s Gold Blend tea is what I usually drink in the morning. It is a robust black tea that holds its own, even with plenty of milk. I myself drink it with skim milk—no sugar, although I am sure that it could take quite a large amount of sugar. I actually do recommend it with milk because I think that the tea brings out a certain sweetness in the milk.

To prepare the tea, I place the bag in my mug and pour in my milk while the water is in my electric kettle. I try to pour the water as soon as it reaches its boiling point, although sometimes I scramble to do so. Usually, I let the tea steep for about five to seven minutes, but this is only a rough estimate since I make my tea while I get ready for the day. I like my tea good and strong, and this blend offers both.

Barr’y Gold had a pleasant, mild, though somewhat bland flavor (with milk and sugar), even though I steeped it for five and a half minutes. It also had an unplesant drying, astringent affect on the tongue and palate.

If you get tea at a shop or restaurant in Ireland, this is most likely what you’ll be offered. It also lines the shelves in plentiful supply at every grocer, Spar, or Dunnes. So of course, I’ve had plenty a cup now in almost a month in Ireland.

Do I love it? No. Yet I get why it’s so popular here. It’s a solid, robust tea. It stands up to oversteeping impeccably, and it’s definitely tea, as opposed to coffee (that foreigners drink). As an Irishman informed me before I came here from Canada: our tea is strong and dark, you must have it with milk or it will rot your stomach.

Good call. And so, I enjoy at least a pot of this daily, pretending I’m a local until I open my mouth, and enjoy the conversation that invariably ensues over every cup.

2 tsp 36 OZ / 1064 ML

Miss you!

gmathis

“Stands up to oversteeping impeccably…” that is my gold standard for blacke bagged teas!

yyz

I still miss coffee with double cream in Ireland, I wasn’t really into tea when I stayed there. I hope you continue to enjoy your time there.

ashmanra

There is a pretty decent brand over there called Robert Roberts that isn’t a stomach rotter, and if you are near a Marks and Soencer they have some decent tea that can be taken plain. Where are you in Ireland?

MissB

Sigh. Having a hard time replying on my phone. I’ve sent some of this and some Mark’s and Spencer to Sil. Yay! Currently in Galway, next up, Cambridge, England.

OMGsrsly

Have fun. :)

It’s not my favourite bagged milk&sugar tea, but it’s pretty much around no.3 (after Taylors Irish Breakfast and Yorkshire tea). It’s mostly because it’s more on the bitter side of things, without actually being bitter. It just tastes a bit more strong or something, so I only have it when I’m in a mood for that. But it’s lovely and it reminds me of Ireland, because I was staying in an Irish cottage with my fella one time and we bought a big box of Barry’s tea and just drank that the whole week. The first time I had this tea again after Ireland I just got a woooosh of Ireland memories come back to me – very Balzac. Unfortunately, that has since gone away, but a lovely tea nonetheless.

Solid tea. Seems to be more brisk than your traditional english tea (PG/twinings/yorkshire). I’m glad i bought a box of 80. This will be a good workhorse tea.

This is my “go to” tea when on travel. Great wake-up tea, strong with a wee bit of milk. I am not a fan of tea bags, but perfect when traveling. This is not always easy to find as loose tea.

My favorite tea! Barry’s Gold Blend Tea bags are very strong, easily 2 cups from one tea bag; possibly more if you boil for awhile.
I microwave or boil because I like a very strong tea; and I prefer it with half and half or cream, and various non-sugar sweeteners.
I have not tasted Barry’s Breakfast Tea or their stronger version.

This is the tea that turned me on to Tea! I received a free box at an event and started drinking it on my days off. My kids started to ask for it and then I had to find it in a local store. Lucky for me there are plenty of stores that carry this tea. I have moved on to loose leaf teas, however there is nothing like a great cuppa Barry’s to get me going in the morning.