Botswana Honeybush

Honeybush Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by OMGsrsly

From Bayswater Tea Co.

honeybush, sandalwood, orange, sunflowers.

2 heaping teaspoons for 1 cup of water. Steep 10-15 minutes.

About Bayswater Tea Co. View company

So I’ve been putting off this last Bayswater tea for a few months now. The sandalwood is an interesting ingredient, but not one that yells, “Pick me! Pick me!” as I peruse my herbal tea tin. I felt sorry for it today, and gave it some love.

This is a decent tea. A bit of orange. A bit of wood. Sandwood of course too. It’s mild, but at 1:30 AM, I think mild is ok.

Yep. This is ok.
(Steeped for 10 min as directed. Also, I made another herbal the same time as this as I didn’t want to wait 10+ min for tea!)

Boiling 8 min or more

Another one from cavocorax I’m not sure how i feel about this one yet…and i totally didn’t pay attention to steeping time. It’s got a honeybush woodsy, spicy taste to it. I like the orange and sandalwood flavouring….yep this is an interesting one. Different, not bad…and something i’m going to play with a bit and see where i end up feeling about haha thanks cavo!

This one’s pretty mild, except for a spicy and subtly orange-sweet finish. It’s very mellow with warming qualities, so it will be easy to drink the rest of. I don’t think I’ll get this again, however. I’ll try steeping it for +15min next time to see if that yields more flavour.

Still glad I got the chance to try a sandalwood blend; I wasn’t aware that it’s sometimes used as a spice.

Boiling 8 min or more

Sandalwood was used a lot in food during the middle ages and renaissance. Mostly as a red dye, IIRC.

1962 tasting notes

Because Cavocorax said she wanted more flavour when she had the tea, I steeped it for more like 20 minutes. Maybe longer.

The honeybush is quite strong, I think. I haven’t really had enough to determine what part of that is sandalwood and what part isn’t. The orange is very much in the background, but it came out a bit more with the addition of a tiny bit of honey.

I don’t know that I love this one, but it is pleasant enough. I think I’ll try it iced and cold steeped before I make a final decision.

It does smell good. The best worst idea would be to put it in a mesh bag and toss it in the bath…

Edit: I’m dumping this. I probably oversteeped it, and there’s a terrible sour aftertaste. :/

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more

Ok, so somewhere between 10 and 20 minutes then?

Yes. :) I will try 15, and ice some of it too. Tomorrow, though.

Honeybush + 20 min steep sounds dangerous.

It was, Incendiare. It really was. As it cooled more it got really not tasty.

Something is weird with this tea…perhaps it is the sandalwood. It is definitely tasty, for a honeybush/rooibos tea, but I think I’ll stick with Orange Blossom and Alpine Punch from Davids, or Nut n Honeybush from Della Terra.

Thank you for sharing some of this Cavocorax! It turns out I’m not a big fan – the aroma from the packet of dry tea reminded me of medicinal rooibos (blech), and although thankfully that didn’t really translate into the flavour of the tea, I wasn’t really keen on the somewhat spiced orange flavour. It wasn’t bad, just not to my preferences. I did finish the travel mug, though.

ETA: I did not pay attention to the fact that there was sandalwood in this blend. That makes me think soap, and that could easily have been the strange flavour I couldn’t identify in the brewed cup (possibly the medicinal aroma, too… I don’t really know what sandalwood smells or tastes like).