Oolong Tea
Asparagus, Butter, Creamy, Meat, Umami, Cream, Floral, Grass, Pine, Vegetal, Sweet, Artichoke, Orange Zest
Edit tea info Last updated by Amarok

• “Nice milk & cake dough aroma from the steeped leaves, which are nice and juicy & green. light soup colour with subtle milk & dough aroma. Milky taste, much less fruity than the WP one...” Read full tasting note
    rasseru 208 tasting notes
  • “I’ve had the flavored version of this oolong several times, and it’s one of my favorites (not from Beautiful Taiwan, though). So I thought I knew what I was expecting when I brewed this. It doesn’t...” Read full tasting note
    Hoalatha 107 tasting notes
  • “I’m still surprised that this does not have a higher rating on here. I’m enjoying it on a cool summer morning with breeze in the trees and the tropical grass aroma blowing into my nose....” Read full tasting note
    daylon-r-thomas 624 tasting notes
  • “Yay! I love Jin Xuan, so I’m excited to try this. I recently came to the belated conclusion that the one I recently loved and raved about from another vendor is artificially flavored, so I am...” Read full tasting note
    Lion 291 tasting notes

From Beautiful Taiwan Tea Company

This tea is one of our favorites. It’s a special cultivar known for its “Nai Xiang” or slightly milky quality. You’ll notice a nice comfortable body, a flowery scent along with a clean finish. Although this is an inexpensive tea it’s very nice! Like our other teas, this tea is hand-picked, hand-roasted and delicious. Play around with the brewing and you’ll get different bodies and hits. Remember that our teas contain NOTHING other than tea. We like it that way!

Location: Shan Lin Xi, Nantou county, Central Taiwan.

Chinese name: 杉林溪金萱烏龍茶/Jin Xuan Oolong Cha.

About Beautiful Taiwan Tea Company View company

light soup colour with subtle milk & dough aroma. Milky taste, much less fruity than the WP one imo, more vegetal/normal high grown taiwanese taste (not that thats a bad thing at all, on the contrary). A bit sour green when pushed, but at least nice and natural tasting. Nice fresh steamed veg aroma from the steeped leaves.

Great stuff, nice & green & natural tasting with a bit more thicker body than the usual high grown lishans ive tasted

Daylon R Thomas

Not sure if I already wrote this, but I liked that tea because it has the fresh grass quality I like in vegetals.

Rasseru

yeah, totally understand that.

It doesn’t taste at all like I would expect. This oolong was more like a Sencha with a meaty, buttery, umami sort of flavor. The mouthfeel was creamy, but the flavor of the liquid wasn’t at all sweet like I was expecting. Still very tasty though. There’s a hint of vegetable in there, but a heavy savory vegetable, like asparagus.

The leaves seem to lose most of their flavor after 2 steepings if you’re brewing western, which seems a little low to me.

Flavors: Asparagus, Butter, Creamy, Meat, Umami

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

I’m still surprised that this does not have a higher rating on here. I’m enjoying it on a cool summer morning with breeze in the trees and the tropical grass aroma blowing into my nose. I steeped this at 3 min, 4, then 5, and I’m pretty sure there’s more to come. It really is similar to Whispering Pine’s Golden Lily, but not quite as tropical. It does, however, have the same creamy texture and sour fruity after taste.

At the same time, I shouldn’t be surprised at the reaction to this tea at all. Jade oolongs on here are really strong hit or misses-most often because of the teas being too vegetal or too floral. I’m certainly generalizing, but those are the trends I see. And given that I enjoy a healthy dose of florals and vegetals, it’s no surprise I prefer them.

Rasseru

How is this tasting compared to the others in the blind test? I’ve just received my package

Daylon R Thomas

It’s one of the only milks I’ve had so far. The other, I wrote about. #3.

Evol Ving Ness

What is this blind test?

Daylon R Thomas

A pact with me and Rasseru. Were trying out some oolongs to test our taste buds. It is quite fun. I’m behind as of now. Stuck on #4. All of my random steeps have been these samples so far. I have so many roasted oolongs…

im away from my house and only brought 1-3 with me

Evol Ving Ness

This does sound like fun. Totally want in on this if it becomes a thing.

Daylon R Thomas

It might become a thing with the group buys, but I do not know personally.

Yay! I love Jin Xuan, so I’m excited to try this. I recently came to the belated conclusion that the one I recently loved and raved about from another vendor is artificially flavored, so I am looking for an authentic replacement. Maybe this will be one that I really enjoy! :3

The dry leaves are very green, so this tea seems very fresh. I’m not sure what harvest date this is from, but it looks and smells quite recent. The aroma is floral and buttery. The aroma of the wet leaves is very nice, rich and buttery, very floral, lots of lush aromas of vegetation.

I’m gongfu brewing this. The first infusion has a nice cream flavor and tastes lightly floral as well. In that regard it reminds me of magnolias, or maybe even a really mild lotus flavor.

The second infusion is much more floral, but still has a creamy body and flavor to it as well. There are notes of coniferous tree sap. The taste is less floral as the tea cools.

The third infusion is quite a bit floral as well, but still has that thick creamy note running through it. Flavorwise, it hasn’t change much. It’s more in the balance of the flavors that this tea changes during each infusion.

On the fourth infusion the floral flavor is more of an undertone, blending with a vegetal grassy flavor, and still has a creamy richness to it.

Overall I would say this Jin Xuan was more floral than I expected it to be, and not as milky as the renowned nickname of “milk oolong” makes me think it should be, but it was a nice tea, definitely a crisp and clean one as far as green oolongs go.

Flavors: Butter, Cream, Floral, Grass, Pine, Vegetal

Of the five teas I purchased from BTT, this was the least impressive. I have to agree with the other reviewers, this Golden Lily pales in comparison to Whispering Pines. It has a very buttery quality, as in someone dropped a pat of butter in my cup. Steeped gongfu there is also a bit of floral and a touch of sugarcane sweetness. But there’s no real complexity to this tea. It’s drinkable, but kind of forgettable.

Flavors: Butter, Floral, Sweet

190 °F / 87 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 140 ML

BTTC is one of my favorite and I poured about $500 into them last year so saying this isn’t so easy for me: After having Whsipering Pines golden lily…. everything else will probably compare as lesser. While this is a wonderful product, with subtle sweet notes of fruit to it, it’s
These are nicely rolled mid-range green oolong pieces with a decent aroma level that makes you aware that it’s a variant of milk oolong. The brewing of this tea is quite simple and can get decent four steeps out of it. I really enjoyed the second steep the most with it’s more mellow notes and more oolong’ness comes out as the leaf unravels. I’m pretty sure this would make for a nice cold brew as well, but I don’t cold brew often.

Equusfell

Yeah, most other Golden Lilies don’t reach the heights that WP’s does, but the two that come to mind for me are Mandala’ (very different, extreme buttery-ness!) and American Tea Room’s (the classic milk oolong flavor, punched up to 11). WP is unique with its coconut-milk overtones, which are crazy good!

My first two tries with this tea were failures. My problem? I didn’t rinse the leaves. Its amazing how much of a difference that makes!

1st steep. Vegetal flavors. Nothing milky. Kinda more of a green then an oolong. Also some hay and grass notes.

2nd steep. Getting smoother. Still more vegetal though.

3rd steep. Bam! Nice and silky. Milk qualities and flavors coming out. If it wasn’t 10pm I would keep going but I want to sleep tonight.

2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp
TheLastDodo

#teamrinse!

This is pretty good – very creamy, but as it cools it gets very floral. I found it to be rather strong – I feel like a teaspoon ended up tasting a bit overleafed and bitter for 8oz of water. Which is great – more tea savings for me. :) Not to mention the three resteeps…

190 °F / 87 °C 2 min, 0 sec 18 tsp

Beautiful Taiwan Tea’s Golden Lily Oolong 2014

Unlike What-Cha’s Jin Xuan this is unflavored. This was the first of BTT’s that I have tried and this is the tea that sold me on the company, while it isn’t as nuanced as the other GeoShanCha at BTT, it is wonderful, I almost want to say it is my favorite, but whenever I purchase this tea I always drink it all within a week and I won’t want to drink anything else besides this tea.

This feels like a more traditional Jin Xuan, and unlike the Fujian Milk oolong from What-cha, this has a very thick mouthfeel, almost syrupy. This is primarily milky (more a sweet creamy butter then milk though), but I can taste a little bit of nutty vegetables, and some strong floral notes. While I don’t have as much to say about this Jin Xuan, I’ll just say this leaves me breathless and when I am done I regret not having more.

(“Breath Taking” photography at: http://rah-tea.blogspot.com/2014/11/what-chas-fujian-milk-oolong-jin-xuan.html)

This is my second oolong form BTTC. It definitely had the biggest oolong pearls of all the oolongs that I own. The bright blue green wads of wavy mossy leaves felt nice and silky in my hands. The leaves themselves smelled very fresh, with vegetal and buttery notes. I also detected hyacinth floral hints. Funny enough, I did not know that this was a milk oolong when I drank it. I enjoyed the melted butter and heavy whipping cream quality I held in my mouth. It stayed consistently floral and sweet, playing around with candied orange peel and lilies throughout all my steepings in my gaiwan. Although not as fragrant or refined as their BaoZhong or a Lishan, I had a lot of fun watching the leaves explode in my cup.

Flavors: Artichoke, Butter, Cream, Orange Zest