ShanLinXi Special Reserve

Oolong Tea
Mineral, Pear, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by pingantu

2 Images

• “Great quality leaves and a tremendous amount of depth! Thick and almost brothy, that ends with a returning sweetness that lingers. The richness of aroma from the wet leaves is intoxicating, as it...” Read full tasting note
    Pureleaf 140 tasting notes
  • “Received this as part of a straight tea package from LP. Thank you! My package arrived today with part of a YS order and part mystery tea. I really like getting mystery tea in...” Read full tasting note
    Teatiff 636 tasting notes
  • “I spent my entire stash trying to figure out a way to brew this tea without bitterness and on my last cup I finally got it. Very brief steeps mixed together bring out the depth that was missing. ...” Read full tasting note
    luckyme 134 tasting notes
  • “My ShanLinXi from Beautiful Taiwan was labeled “2015 premium.” I’m going to assume that this is the same tea but forgive me if it is not. I have been so happy with all my Read full tasting note
    paradigmamnesia 1113 tasting notes

From Beautiful Taiwan Tea Company

This tea is a premium GaoShanCha. The special reserve teas are grown at very high elevations and take longer to grow. They take their time growing and develop a deeper, fuller flavor. I sometimes like to drink the special reserves from a wine glass. Really! This tea has a heavy liquor, it’s not dry at all or bitter. It’s very clean and refreshing. You won’t get floral notes because it’s grown so high in ShanLinXi there are no flowers. Explore this tea slowly with many infusions and you might catch such notes as butterscotch. We recommend brewing this tea gongfu style. Like our other teas, this tea is expertly grown, hand-picked, hand-processed and FRESH!

Location: Shan Lin Xi, Nantou county, Central Taiwan.

Chinese name: 杉林溪特選高山茶/ShanLinXi Te Xuan Gao Shan Cha

About Beautiful Taiwan Tea Company View company

Great quality leaves and a tremendous amount of depth! Thick and almost brothy, that ends with a returning sweetness that lingers. The richness of aroma from the wet leaves is intoxicating, as it captivates your senses in its complexity. It gets out of the arena of floral notes, but is more savory and thick. You can smell butternut squash, along with a slow simmered, stewed chicken (sorry if the meat reference offends – I’m at a lack of words to compare and this is the closest I can think of). The taste is more like green lima beans and butter. Smooth and full to the mouth. No astringency. Great tea! Certainly above ordinary.

Received this as part of a straight tea package from LP. Thank you!

My package arrived today with part of a YS order and part mystery tea. I really like getting mystery tea in the mail. It makes me go outside of my comfort zone and try things I normally wouldn’t order for myself. I really need to just sign up for a tea subscription somewhere so that I am forced to not pick the same old same old. Maybe once my stash is under control. Does that ever happen?

This is a wonderful tea. Light, sweet, buttery…. oh yeah buttery. I didn’t have enough for a full on gong fu session so I have been having fun just playing with this tea. Add some water here, taste it, add more time, add more water. I havent’ done that much with tea, always thinking I will destory it. This is fun and delicious. I am excited. My husband and I have a date to finish reading The Martian together tonight. Such nerds. Go to bed early to read. Oh well it is the little things in life right? Books and tea. An end to a good day.

Rasseru

books and tea. such a good partnership

Marzipan

Do you read the same book at the same time, or two of the book side by side?

MissLena

Awe reading books together, especially the same book, sounds so sweet :) sounds like a wonderful evening!

keychange

Aww, my husband and I read this book together too!

TeaTiff

We rarely read the same books so when we do, we try to each read our own copy at the same time. He reads at lightening speed compared to me:) I think the last book prior to this that we read together was Unbroken.

I spent my entire stash trying to figure out a way to brew this tea without bitterness and on my last cup I finally got it. Very brief steeps mixed together bring out the depth that was missing. The tea somehow became brighter and cleaner and the strong vegetalness faded. A very enjoyable oolong tea indeed!

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

I have been so happy with all my BTT oolongs! This was no exception. It started out SO SWEET! Very lightly vegetal and slightly mineral…later steepings became more vegetal and got increasingly buttery. The mouthfeel is silky and amazing. MMMMmmmmm goood tea :)

Backlog:

The tea that I had was called “ShanLinXi Highest Moutain” but the descriptions are the same so I’m going on the belief that the Special Reserve = Highest Mountain.

Anyway! This is a fabulous Oolong! The dry leaf has an intense aroma: strong, sweet, floral. Once brewed, the liquid has a softer scent, but there are still obvious notes of fruit and flower in the fragrance.

Yes, I got notes of butterscotch. Nice! Sweet, smooth, not bitter or astringent. Smooth from start to finish. As I say in my full-length review of this tea: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/10/07/shanlinxi-highest-mountain-oolong-tea-from-beautiful-taiwan-tea-company/ – it’s kind of like having one of those butterscotch candies in your mouth and allowing it to melt over the palate. This tea is like that.

I also pick up on notes of flower and hints of spice.

This tea keeps on going, too. I got eight very flavorful infusions out of it. I highly recommend this one.

This tea is GOOD.

I love the mouth feel. It is creamy and buttery. The flavor is outstanding. I’ve had this pseudo gongfu and I’m on my 7th infusion now, and it’s still giving amazing notes. I knew this one was more expensive, but it’s $25 for 2 oz. (I only had a sample size.) I think it’s worth it. This is one of the best oolongs I’ve had.

The wet leaves smell so green and fresh, but the tea doesn’t taste vegetal at all (it’s okay if it does, but that’s not what I get from the tea.)