Green Tea
Caramel, Dry Grass, Plant Stems, Vanilla, Green Beans, Vegetable Broth, Hay, Lima Beans, Sweet, warm grass, Cut grass, Rainforest, Summer, Sweet, Vegetal
Edit tea info Last updated by pingantu

2 Images

• “Light, sweet, buttery, delicate. All of these things describe this green tea. It is not heavy handed but if you pause and take the time to focus on the delicate nature of this tea, you will be...” Read full tasting note
    mtchyg 71 tasting notes
  • “Tasting #1 – Steep Time 2 Minutes No hint of aroma, just a nice hot steam to clear my sinuses. No hint of flavor, just a nice hot cup to warm up my pallet. Tasting #2 – Steep Time 4 Minutes A very...” Read full tasting note
    Uchinaguchi 53 tasting notes
  • “I steeped 1 tsp of this per package directions @ 175 degrees for 2 minutes per package directions and the resulting tea was pretty nondescript. Increasing the amount of leaf roughly 3x produced a...” Read full tasting note
    luckyme 113 tasting notes
  • “Unfortunately, I have steeped the last of this leaf that I got from the Kickstarter. This was a beautiful green tea that was easily brewed. Everything about the cups that this produced was light:...” Read full tasting note
    Proust614 717 tasting notes

From Beautiful Taiwan Tea Company

We love the way this tea smells and it’s very smooth and enjoyable. It’s an early spring green leaf tea. When the buds just start to come out it’s picked with a single leaf. We call this tea “Twisted green tea” because the farmers twist the ends of the leaves to make this tea. It has a natural nuttiness and an earthy quality. This is a delicate loose leaf green tea and is the most difficult to brew if you are not experienced. Stick with it though and you’ll be richly rewarded with a smooth and pleasant green tea!

Location: San Xia, New Taipei, Northern Taiwan

Chinese name: 碧螺春/Bi Luo Chun

About Beautiful Taiwan Tea Company View company

Light, sweet, buttery, delicate. All of these things describe this green tea. It is not heavy handed but if you pause and take the time to focus on the delicate nature of this tea, you will be pleasantly surprised. I brewed it western style and was able to get 2 really good steeps and 1 weak one at the end but I am excited to try it gong fu and see what that reveals.

Tasting #1 – Steep Time 2 Minutes

Tasting #2 – Steep Time 4 Minutes
A very faint aroma of dry grass, matched in flavor. But its not just dry grass, its soft and gentle. When I think of dry grass there is a harshness to it, but this is definitely dry grass if it were soft, soothing, and comfortable.

Tasting #3 – Steep Time 6 Minutes
The aroma hasn’t changed much, but the flavor has developed.

Tasting #4 – Steep Time 8 Minutes
There is a sweetness in aroma, like vanilla. But the flavor has stayed the same but more like a golden yunnan with a caramel bite.

Flavors: Caramel, Dry Grass, Plant Stems, Vanilla

I steeped 1 tsp of this per package directions @ 175 degrees for 2 minutes per package directions and the resulting tea was pretty nondescript. Increasing the amount of leaf roughly 3x produced a much more robust cup.

The flavor of the liquor was smooth and vegetal with hints of savory grass. As it goes down you get a light butteriness and brothy mouthfeel. Not much sweetness here nor any bitterness for what matter.

Personally, I found this tasted like a generic green tea. Good, but nothing special. I would reach for a long jing or sencha over this any day.

Flavors: Dry Grass, Green Beans, Vegetable Broth

175 °F / 79 °C 2 min, 0 sec 1 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

Unfortunately, I have steeped the last of this leaf that I got from the Kickstarter. This was a beautiful green tea that was easily brewed. Everything about the cups that this produced was light: aroma, taste, and color. I wouldn’t label it as a fragile type of leaf, but there is an element of elegance to it. The only disadvantage of this tea is that anyone else who got this with the Kickstarter will have also got the Farmer Chang’s Green Oolong which blows this one away… it might be an oolong and this is a green tea, but to compare the color, aroma, and taste between the two the victor emerges immediately.

This was a delicious green tea from the BTTC kickstarter. Very light and delicate with smooth vegetal notes. Definitely a high quality tea.

This is really, really tasty. Fresh spring in a bag is the scent of the dry leaf. Pretty, twisty, long green leaves.

Smooth, buttery mouthfeel. Green and fresh, a cup of vegetables.

Did this gongfu to start with. About 20 seconds and it was deeply green and smooth. Next steep was 40 seconds and added a heft of buttery richness. Third steep for 60 seconds started to thin out. Fourth steep also 60 seconds but at a lower water temp was pretty much done.

I want to try this again but western or grandpa instead of gongfu. I liked it gongfu, but I think I could really like it in one long steep. Also, after trying the green from Shang and loving it done at a higher temp, I intend to try this one like that as well.

Liquid Proust

Is this part of the 2015 Kickstarter teas?

Liquid Proust

This makes me want to drink mine ever more… I didn’t even know the first shipments came in, I am pretty excited to go home!

Nicole

That is a way cool idea!

Sipdown (117)!

Thank you for the sample TheLastDodo! This is so something I wouldn’t have picked for myself but when I was cooking supper tonight I suddenly found myself with such a craving for green tea. How odd for me! But, this was the perfect thing to satisfy that craving.

The dark twisty leaves are beautiful, first off. Dry I didn’t get much of a smell – it kinda smelled, to me, like most straight greens do – a little grassy. That is, if they don’t remind me of seaweed – which this one didn’t. I made very sure to steep it at the correct temperature, though my steep time was dreadfully inaccurate. I was aiming for two minutes – but I got distracted chopping up peppers, and I think what I ended up with was closer to a five minute steep?

Still came out spectacularly though – not even a little bit bitter or astringent which, to me, was shocking given that I personally have the most trouble brewing greens and am usually very receptive of bitterness when it comes to them.

Most notably, this was a very, very creamy and buttery green tea. It reminded me strongly of buttered green beans – sweet, creamy and so smooth going down. Something I used to eat all the time at my Grandma’s house during the summer. And following the same sort of mindset, when you got past the rich flavour there was a gentle earthiness underneath and extending a little into the aftertaste – like beans straight from the garden which haven’t been washed yet. Fresh, raw, and natural. For me, this is something you’d drink in the early afternoon outdoors right when spring is on the cusp of becoming summer.

And I loved it. I really, really did!

So far it’s the only tea I’ve had today – yesterday I got more dental work done (only nine fillings left to go – yay?) and afterwards could really only stand cold things, so I just had my daily cold brew. Good news is that today my mouth feels perfectly fine! Usually I’m in pain for the next couple of days following getting work done, so it’s a welcomed change.

Today, I had to spend a few hours running around getting stuff done like getting my new work pants hemmed – ‘cause they were like a foot longer than my legs. Major tripping hazard! I also didn’t sleep a wink last night, so I spent a LARGE portion of today taking long naps. Not much has been accomplished; oh well…

TheLastDodo

Yay! Not yay to the fillings, but yay to easygoing greens!

Although the infused leaves smell heavenly, the infused liquor leaves much to be desired. Too thin, and lacking in flavour, for my taste. This is a nice tea, but nothing special.

First infusion – 3 g. per 6 oz water, 70 deg., 1:30 min.

Second infusion – 3 g. per 6 oz. water, 70 deg., 5:00 min.

Third infusion – 3 g. per 6 oz. water, 70 deg., 10:00+ min.

1 min, 30 sec 3 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

I’ve been avoiding green tea for awhile, only because it’s not something I really crave in the winter. But I have been dying to try this tea and I figured, “Oh what the hell. Why not?”
I am glad I decided to try something different than what I have been drinking lately. This was like the complete opposite of Christmas in July. July in Christmas? Nope. Not the same ring to it. Drinking this just transported me to a breezy summer afternoon. It’s carefree and fresh af. I loved how it smelled, especially. There is nothing I love more than the fresh, vegetal smell of dry green tea. I think I may like it more than the actual brew. The bright, deep green of the dry leaves got brighter and brighter green as I steeped these leaves. They were especially friendly, I was able to get 5 long steeps in my large (150ml) gaiwan. I got a light and bright infusion of lima beans, vegetable broth and lemongrass in each infusion. The liquor was thinner in my mouth than the unctuous darker teas I have been craving like mad lately. Coming from BTTC, I felt like this was more of a quasi-oolong than a green tea, because of it fragrance and infusion durability. And that, is the very shit I like. I can’t wait to revisit this tea in the summer!

Flavors: Hay, Lima Beans, Sweet, warm grass, Vegetable Broth

4 g

Backlog:

I have tried a few teas from this company thus far (I have a bunch of reviews waiting for me to post tasting notes about them … yeah, still behind) and I’ve loved everything I’ve tried from them.

This is a beautiful green tea. Very fresh, reminiscent of spring when the early leaves are appearing, the scents, the feel, the experience and the flavors of newness of spring. A lovely delicate flavor but still quite complex. Notes of cream, very smooth, sweet, hints of vanilla and a vegetal tone.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/06/08/twisted-green-tea-from-beautiful-taiwan-tea-company/