Apricot, Autumn Leaf Pile, Caramel, Malt, Baked Bread, Burnt Sugar, Dried Fruit, Honey
Edit tea info Last updated by Amarok

• “This Sun Moon Lake black tea is very smooth, no astringency and a good amount maltiness. It has a faint sugar cane sweetness, with a milder boldness for an assam. There are initially some greener,...” Read full tasting note
    Pureleaf 136 tasting notes
  • “Call it Red Jade, or Ruby Red, this Taiwanese black tea is heaven to my five senses. The long twisted red-black leaves are delicate and produce a blood orange-colored liquor. It smells and tastes...” Read full tasting note
    thelastdodo 56 tasting notes
  • “I was in the mood for a Taiwanese black tea this morning, and this was the first one I saw, so here we are! This sample is from *Blodeuyn*. The leaves are beautiful and have that gnarled, twisty...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 826 tasting notes

From Beautiful Taiwan Tea Company

This is an excellent choice if you like dark teas! Traditionally in China fully oxidized teas are called “red” teas while the British called them “Black” teas. This tea is very smooth and drinkable! It doesn’t leave you with a dry mouth like most of the black teas you find. The quality is there because its hand-made by a farmer right next to a pristine alpine lake in Central Taiwan called Sun Moon Lake. This tea is similar to a top quality assam black tea but it has a nice unique maltiness. You can enjoy this tea by itself or try adding some milk and honey/sugar if you prefer. This tea is DEEP and the leaves last a long time! Make a DELICIOUS ”Nai Cha” or cold milk tea. This black leaf tea is a real treat.

Location: Sun Moon Lake, TaiChung County.

Chinese name: 日月潭紅玉18號/Sun Moon Lake Black Tea

About Beautiful Taiwan Tea Company View company

This Sun Moon Lake black tea is very smooth, no astringency and a good amount maltiness. It has a faint sugar cane sweetness, with a milder boldness for an assam. There are initially some greener, more cucumber vegetal notes, along with a mild bell pepper undertone (this last very brief and transitions to the maltier, sweeter flavor).

The quality is certainly there, as you can see the wholeness of the long, hand rolled leaves. They unfurl nicely and hold their flavor for 6+ steepings (gongfu – shorter in gaiwan).

A very nice, calm tea that is even enjoyable for a later night.

Call it Red Jade, or Ruby Red, this Taiwanese black tea is heaven to my five senses. The long twisted red-black leaves are delicate and produce a blood orange-colored liquor. It smells and tastes slightly malty for not being an Assam. Grown just above Sun Moon Lake In Taiwan, which happens to be the largest lake in Taiwan. I did not detect any astringency at all during all of my steepings. I got a scent of wet wicker, and dry autumn leaves. It was slightly sweet with notes of stone fruits like apricot and plum. This tea glided down my throat like dark caramel soft candy. Smelling the wet leaves was like smelling hot, wet, tart raisins. This tea imparted peacefulness in me and filled the air with the comforting smell of excellent red tea. Another one of my new staple black teas.

Flavors: Apricot, Autumn Leaf Pile, Caramel, Malt

200 °F / 93 °C 3 g

I was in the mood for a Taiwanese black tea this morning, and this was the first one I saw, so here we are! This sample is from Blodeuyn. The leaves are beautiful and have that gnarled, twisty Taiwanese Assam style. They’re very dark in color, almost black. Dry, they smell surprisingly strongly of molasses, and there’s also some sweetness and malt. I used a teaspoon (roughly, these teas are difficult to measure!) of leaf and let it steep for 3 minutes at 200 degrees.

Once brewed, the tea’s aroma is grainy sourdough bread with lots of dried fruit and some caramelized sugar/molasses tones. The taste is very similar. There’s a combination of tangy sourdough and soft homemade wheat breads, along with a fair amount of malt. The molasses seems to have lightened itself into honey, but definitely a stronger raw honey. I must confess, it took me far too long to identify the dried fruit that I was tasting, and then I felt like a complete dope for not thinking of it sooner… It’s definitely dried apricots, and I can say maybe there’s a hint of a second fruit – a mild and sweet one like golden raisin or fig. Overall, a very delicious tea for the morning!

Flavors: Apricot, Baked Bread, Burnt Sugar, Dried Fruit, Honey, Malt