Red Sample - Shu Puerh

Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady

From Beijing Wuyutai Tea Company

An aged raw Puerh

About Beijing Wuyutai Tea Company View company

From the Great Canadian TTB.

Well its official…I just don’t like pu’erh.

I am not terribly knowledgable in the subject but I know I have tried both shu and sheng, I have tried what I would consider lesser quality and better quality pu’erh. I have tried both pressed/brick and loose types. I have not tried anything real expensive but that is because I don’t want to spend money if I am not going to like it and I don’t want to waste good tea.

I gave this one a try this morning. The dry tea reminded me of fresh, moist potting soil. Not my most favorite flavour (:P), but not too bad. I did about a 10 second rinse, then steeped for 30 seconds. I thought I would steep for a shorter period of time just to keep the flavours more subtle. On smelling my first steep I get mushrooms. I always seem to get mushrooms with pu’erh. Also a mineral smell, like canned mushrooms. I am also getting the scent of a stale, old, lake. Ha ha. Like when the water has not been moving for a long time and you are standing on the wet shore.

The taste of the brewed tea is giving me the taste of very wet dirt/soil. It is reminding me of old grass clippings/compost, like the grass clipping pile at the end of the summer. The tea was fairly bold and thick considering the short steep. I tried to make my way through the cup in case the flavour profile changed. But after a few sips I just couldn’t do it.

This pu’erh was not bad. It is just not what I enjoy tasting in my tea. I think it is fair to say I have given it a good shot. I am not totally writing off pu’erh, there are some flavoured blends I don’t mind, and I am going to try “white” pu’erh but I think I am done my “do I like it or don’t I like it” phase.

i’m the same with white tea. there are other things i enjoy more is all. =0)

Put some sugar and cream in it like coffee. (Or sweetener) lots of people drink puerh like coffee and prefer it this way. Sugar (sweetener) often brings out a caramel flavor you don’t taste otherwise. Even my younger grandsons like puerh lattes.

Or add cocoa nibs, chocolate mint, or both. I always end up adding sweetener.

Of course no one can say you didn’t try!

BTW: White puerhs that I have tried are very close in taste to white peony.

Yeah I’m not a fan of Pu-er either :P

sipdown! go me! at this rate i could almost get to 200 today…almost lol

This is a really earthy puerh. i picked it up in beijing when i was there in february and haven’t had a chance to really try it. I had mostly picked it up to share with others and most of it has gone that way. I much prefer the puerhs that i’ve had from verdant and mandala but this isn’t bad for an every day sort of puerh – provided you can handle the earthiness of this.

Look at you go!

Sipdown! I’m playing a little game of ‘name that tea’ today.
This is one of 3 mystery tea samples from my trade with Sil. The majority of the writing on the red envelope is in Chinese, however in fine print on the back I found Beijing Wuyutai Tea Company. In even finer print there is a website listed, with an english translated version at The history of the company is available on the site, along with their selection of teas.
I took one whiff of this package & knew it to be a Shu. It has the characteristic earthy musty haylike flavors & aromas, & was a nice cup for a rainy day.