No. 45, The White Wolf

White Tea
Natural Flavours, Organic Bai Mu Dan, Organic Cornflower, Organic Spearmint, Organic Vanilla Beans, Star Anise Bits
Anise, Cedar, Mint, Vanilla
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “I didn’t think the white wolf would be such a soft tea. I was expecting the mint and anise to nip, but it’s so fluffy!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8EFVDq0crs Mint, anise, and vanilla are all...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 489 tasting notes
  • “A few months ago my husband forwarded an email to me from his office. A lady in another division found out that I like tea (overlook the fact that I didn't say "am obsessed with") and was asking...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1798 tasting notes
  • “Thanks, Crowkettle, for this sample! Backlog from Sunday. What a warm sweet tea! The mint and anise are sweet and the other elements add a warmth like a cordial or liqueur. It tingles and...” Read full tasting note
    fuzzy_peachkin 464 tasting notes
  • “Oh, I'm so excited to try this! Thanks so much for the sample, *CrowKettle*! I smell mostly vanilla from the dry sample. Once I add hot water, I smell the mint and star anise. This is... hmm. I...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1377 tasting notes

From Bellocq Tea Atelier

No. 45, The White Wolf
Prominent notes of cedar, star anise and mint evoke expansive Western frontiers, hay and saddle, leather and snow for a truly exceptional white tea blend. Also wonderful iced.

Ingredients: Organic White Tea, Cedar, Vanilla, Star Anise, Mint

Brewing Instructions:

Quantity: 1 teaspoon per 8oz/250ml.

Water temperature: 175ºF/80ºC. Bring fresh, cold spring water to a boil, remove from heat; set aside 3 minutes and proceed.

Brewing time: 4-6 minutes.

Infusions: 2

About Bellocq Tea Atelier View company

Mint, anise, and vanilla are all well-balanced here, forming a fresh and sweet beverage. There’s a hint of smoky spice creeping into the finish that I’m enjoying. It’s almost musky. The delicate white peony base is powdered over by those wispy ingredient notes but I get glimpses of gentle lemon and melon fruit profiles under the surface.

I feel like I’m wrapped up in a warm fuzzy blanket at my parents place, looking out of the solarium window after a snowfall. The back of that house overlooks a canyon/creek and all the tall pines! When the sun starts to set the lights from the house 100 meters across the ravine from us become visible. With snow, everything becomes so quiet and it seems even farther away.

Long story short- this tea makes me feel nostalgic, romantic, and cozy. I’m glad I have lots and lots of this tea, because this is totally my thing.

And to think I bought it solely for the association with wolves, and the suggestion of cedar, which there’s little to none of. I thought the lack of cedar would disappoint me but it doesn’t!

Lala

Maybe it should be named fluffy wolf.

A few months ago my husband forwarded an email to me from his office. A lady in another division found out that I like tea (overlook the fact that I didn’t say “am obsessed with”) and was asking what companies I like. She sent a list of companies from whom she orders, and this was one of the few on the list I was unfamiliar with.

Their website is gorgeous. Their Facebook feed makes my newsfeed pretty every day. The owners of the company were stylists for Martha Stewart Living, and the husband of one owner was a stylist for Anthropologie, so you can guess how gorgeous everything is.

I ordered this one because I was curious about the unusual flavors they have combined here. I chose the two ounce bag to make it more affordable, though I think their tins are heavenly looking. (You can choose for it to come in a box instead of a bag for three dollars extra.)

The dry leaf is positively beautiful. Serving this at a tea party, I would definitely want to display the leaf in a pretty container prior to making the tea. The aroma is mostly spearmint.

The steeped tea is pale gold in color and now smells primarily of star anise, though as it cools the spearmint steps forward a bit again. At no time is it powerfully minty like a Moroccan Mint, but rather it is a nice refreshing breeze blowing through softly.

A guest joined me, and she said she really dislikes licorice and thought she would not enjoy this tea, but she ended up liking it.

My tea came in a pretty bag with brown paper tape with blue pattern. The instructions are handwritten on the label and it was tied up with a pretty ribbon. They also included a generous sample of White Nixon, another of their white tea line. Everything was packed in lots and LOTS of brilliant yellow/gold tissue paper.

Their tins are amazingly beautiful, but I am curious why adding a tin to your order adds a different price depending which tea you are ordering. If the tin is worth $18, why does the addition of the same tin add $17 to one tea order, but $22 to another?

As pretty as the tins are, I will save that splurge for when I am rich as Croesus and can have a whole row of them. For now the bags are pretty enough!

CrowKettle

I haven’t ordered tea in a while but the combination of ingredients sounds amazing. Is the cedar very pronounced?

cteresa

Their tins are on my wishlist – not a realistic wishlist, ever, but gosh they hit all my taste notes. I am not sure I could justify those so I totally understand. I am sort of working myself to pay 20 euros for a Thé-o-dor tea caddy when I could get the loose leaf tea for around 7 euros but I expect once again I will pick to buy more tea rather than the caddy.7
I am glad this tea is decent, the packaging is so awesome that due to taste-fellowship feelings I was hoping they had not screwed up on the tea (tea being halfway good is a much harder thing than most brands seem to realize!)

Nicole

That is a fantastic looking site. The pictures of the teas look like art photos instead of simply sales photos. Beautiful teas.

ashmanra

As the tea cooled a little I sipped several times paying close attention. The first taste I found was spearmint, but right on the heels of the spearmint the anise began to bloom and swell. I don’t think I would consider the cedar pronounced at all. I think I detect mostly s an aftertaste, rising quickly at the end of the sip.

JustJames

i love companies that add a personal touch….

I’ll have to check this company out!

Thanks, Crowkettle, for this sample!

Backlog from Sunday. What a warm sweet tea! The mint and anise are sweet and the other elements add a warmth like a cordial or liqueur. It tingles and tantalizes me. it was a little odd at first to reconcile the coolness of mint and the warmth that I’m feeling, but once I let go of that expectation, it was a fantastical taste voyage.

Nicole Martin

One of my favorites. I was so sad when I ran out.

Fuzzy_Peachkin

I know! I might need to purchase some of this

Oh, I’m so excited to try this! Thanks so much for the sample, CrowKettle!

I smell mostly vanilla from the dry sample. Once I add hot water, I smell the mint and star anise. This is… hmm. I think it’s spearmint. I initially thought it was peppermint, but it’s not really. Maybe a blend, or some other type of mint. My favourite is Corsican mint (look it up! It’s a really neat ground cover, and the scent is divine), but I’m not sure if my friend would react to it or not.

It also tastes mostly of mint and anise. It’s a really mild and somewhat earthy mint tea. But it has body because of the white tea.

Really interesting. Thanks so much for sharing, CrowKettle!

Edit: Yeah, I can’t tell what kind of mint it is. If it’s spearmint, it’s not triggering anything for me. And it’s not super cooling like what I expect from peppermint. So. “Mint.”

OMGsrsly

(I emailed the company and they couldn’t or wouldn’t tell me which variety of mint it is.)

CrowKettle

How do they not know what mint (or mint extract) they use? Good to know!

OMGsrsly

I know, right?! I could ask my friend to sniff it but I would risk her not being able to breathe. So.