No. 71, Feng Ling Ming Ye

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by CrowKettle

• “The only way I can describe drinking this green tea is by comparing it to the revelation of seeing clearly the first time you put on glasses after a lifetime of seeing things in a fuzzy haze. The...” Read full tasting note
    fuzzy_peachkin 464 tasting notes
  • “woohoo! this is a great green. For someone whose preferences lean towards blacks and puerhs, this is super tasty. It's clean and crisp and delicious! Seriously. I'd consider adding this to my...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4043 tasting notes
  • “This is a really lovely green – seaweedy and vegetal, but delicately so. I’m never good at identifying just what sorts of vegetal notes I taste in green teas, but if I had to take a stab at it here...” Read full tasting note
    greenteafairy 171 tasting notes

From Bellocq Tea Atelier

This Pearl tea or Zhu Cha is grown at 3200 feet above sea level. It is complex, full bodied and buttery sweet with notes of malt, grass and smoke. A must buy for any Chinese green tea lover.

L* identifies this tea as a Bellocq Limited Tea. It has been purchased in a small quantity and is only available from our atelier.

Origin:

Guizhou Province, China.

Brewing Instructions:

Quantity: 1 teaspoon per 8oz/250ml.

Water temperature: 175ºF/80ºC. Bring fresh, cold spring water to a boil, remove from heat; set aside 3 minutes and proceed.

Brewing time: 4-6 minutes.

Infusions: 2-3

About Bellocq Tea Atelier View company

The only way I can describe drinking this green tea is by comparing it to the revelation of seeing clearly the first time you put on glasses after a lifetime of seeing things in a fuzzy haze. The notes in this were so fresh, clear and distinct. Did it have some of the seaweed type flavor I’m not fond of in greens? Yes. But the texture of that same taste was so different from every other green tea I’ve had with that same taste. It was somehow smoother and crisper, not quite as jarring and jagged as I usually find that flavor. It also seemed to work more harmoniously with the other flavors in the tea.

There were some very substantial dark green notes that reminded me of brocolli rabe With this was a very distinct and powerful lemon flavor. I usuallly pick up some generic citrus notes in tea, but this was in your face, make you pucker and tear up lemon!The flavors mixed together remind me of how my Mom makes soup by adding lemon and an egg whipped together to make the broth light and add some tang.

I often find myself drawn to teas that are well balanced with dark and light notes. Well this tea is a perfect example of balance- lightness and dark. Bitter, yet plesantly so, with a lightness to mellow it out.

greenteafairy

Can’t wait to try this one; it sounds wonderful!

Fuzzy_Peachkin

It’s quite yummy! Any green tea that can make me not mind the seaweed flavor is a good tea! :-)

woohoo! this is a great green. For someone whose preferences lean towards blacks and puerhs, this is super tasty. It’s clean and crisp and delicious! Seriously. I’d consider adding this to my cupboard as one of my few green teas. just. yum. thanks fuzzy P!

edit: 160 mission accomplished for today haha

This is a really lovely green – seaweedy and vegetal, but delicately so. I’m never good at identifying just what sorts of vegetal notes I taste in green teas, but if I had to take a stab at it here I’d go with edamame. Now that the tea has cooled a bit, I’m also picking up on the lemon Fuzzy_Peachkin mentioned in her review. I’ve never tasted a straight tea with such a pronounced citrus note. There’s some astringency and bitterness, but nothing that detracts from the experience. This is definitely a tea I’d be interested in restocking – I hope Bellocq keeps carrying it!

ETA: Not so impressed by the second steep, which is too bad given how pricey this tea is.