Organic Taiwan Jin Xuan Milk Dong Ding Oolong

Oolong Tea
Cream, Flowers, Peach, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Roughage

• “Thanks so much, CharlotteZero, for a sample of this one. This is a nice switch from the charcoal-like oolong I had earlier today. I don't think I've ever had two oolongs in a day before! This one...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1325 tasting notes
  • “Buttery? Yes. Light? Yes. Tasty? Yes. I also thought it smelt and tasted of peaches. I found it light and refreshing and very pleasant to drink. Definitely a good tea and one that I shall happily...” Read full tasting note
    Roughage 237 tasting notes
  • “I would like to say first that Berylleb is an excellent eBay seller- both their products (in my case, teaware) and their customer service have been wonderful. I highly recommend that you check out...” Read full tasting note
    CharlotteZero 372 tasting notes
  • “I do not give out the perfect 100 score readily. This tea has earned it. I got this tea as a free sample from Berylleb, who is a wonderful eBay seller. I was hooked and have had to come back for...” Read full tasting note
    ShiningLion 70 tasting notes

From Berylleb King Tea

Origin: Zhu Shan, Nantou County, Taiwan.
Type: Loose Oolong tea.
Production Date: During October and November, 2011.
Jin Xuan Oolong milk Oolong tea is a pale yellow—gold when infused. Its smell is intriguing, particular and almost buttery. Its flavor is the same: a buttery, ever so slightly sweet flavor with a subtle aftertaste that coats the back of your throat and stays with you a while as you go about your business. This particular tea leaf was produced by farmers who placed in the top third in the category of Oolong.
Brewed color: Yellow—gold.
Flavor: Buttery, ever so slightly sweet.
Aftertaste: Pleasant, lingering, coating the back of your throat.
Number of infusions: 2 to 3 teaspoons in 4 to ounces of water (depends on your taste).
Preparation: For best results, use mineral water that has just come to a boil (wait a moment and then pour over the leaves).

About Berylleb King Tea View company

Thanks so much, CharlotteZero, for a sample of this one. This is a nice switch from the charcoal-like oolong I had earlier today. I don’t think I’ve ever had two oolongs in a day before! This one is nice, but it doesn’t really have a full flavor. I tastetested before the three minute steep was over, and that is when the most milky sweet flavor was present. But steeping for three minutes turns it into a typical but mild tasting oolong. The second steep had even less flavor… maybe it has just been stored in a sandwich bag for too long or something. (I still prefer this to the charcoal oolong.) I really hate the idea that I’m not giving teas a fair review because of something not for the fault of the tea.. like not being stored in the best way possible or it not being a brand new tea. I guess that’s the reason for tasting notes and Steepster in general though!

CharlotteZero

It was stored in a sandwich bag for maybe a month before I sent it to you? I actually did this because I found the fruity flavor to be too strong, and I was hoping that some of the candy-like smell saccharine aftertaste would fade. I’m not sure if that thought was a reasonable idea or not. I like this for this type of oolong to be more buttery and less fruity.

Tea Sipper

oh, I wasn’t saying it was your fault either because of the way the tea was stored.. I just meant in general. Like I feel like I’m not giving a fair review on a tea unless it was picked yesterday and in sturdy packaging or something. :D But I get what you mean.. a milk oolong should not be peachy, it should be buttery! I think your idea worked then, because I didn’t even notice the fruity flavor.

Buttery? Yes. Light? Yes. Tasty? Yes. I also thought it smelt and tasted of peaches. I found it light and refreshing and very pleasant to drink. Definitely a good tea and one that I shall happily drink again. It has lasted well through half a dozen infusions and its taste is only improved by it being a free sample I received from Berylleb. Bonus!

I would like to say first that Berylleb is an excellent eBay seller- both their products (in my case, teaware) and their customer service have been wonderful. I highly recommend that you check out their store on eBay.

That being said, I was not a big fan of this free sample they sent me with my most recent purchase. I do like milk oolongs, but this one left a too sweet taste in my mouth after I drank it, almost like an artificial sweetener would.

Oh well, I gifted it to another Steepsterer(?), and hopefully they will enjoy it.

I do not give out the perfect 100 score readily. This tea has earned it.

I got this tea as a free sample from Berylleb, who is a wonderful eBay seller. I was hooked and have had to come back for more on numerous occasions! This tea is unique! It’s a Jin Xuan cultivar grown on Mt. Dong Ding, so you get that creamy milky flavor of Jin Xuan with some of the fruity flavors of a Dong Ding, likely from the terroir of Mt. Dong Ding.

This tea pulls you in with its enticing peaches and cream aroma. There are generous helpings of cream and fruit flavor throughout every steeping of this tea. In later steepings some subtle floral tones enter the scene. This tea is so creamy, light, smooth, fruity, buttery… and did I mention creamy? I have not had a milk oolong with as creamy of a flavor as this one. There are times I think I’m drinking a melted milkshake, it’s so wonderful. It’s like peache pie a la mode! And this tea is organic and unflavored, to boot! Wow!

I highly recommend this tea to anyone who likes light and sweet oolong. It is a favorite I constantly come back to and one of the teas I often use to introduce my friends to the world of Gongfu Cha and loose leaf teas. Everyone loves it and requests me to make it for them again!

For the perfect steeping, use 4.5g per 100 ml and steep for 45 seconds at 194F/90C. Add 15 seconds to each repeated infusion. After the fourth, start adding 30 seconds. You’ll get consistently milky and light steeps out of it this way and avoid the bitterness and overt floral that can escape from this tea if you don’t handle it properly.

Flavors: Cream, Flowers, Peach, Vanilla

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 45 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Lee

Very interesting all this stuff on Ebay!! Oh my!!

sooo milk oolongs. they’re a thing. sometimes i like them..sometimes i don’t…and i never ever ever ever like the resteep. This one isn’t half bad. What’s strange to me is that i got no buttery sort of flavour that i get from most milk oolongs. instead this was almost more like a peach oolong. but a natural peach, not that weird tim horton’s peach flavoured drink (that of course i loved when i was younger!). on the whole…not to shabby! thanks awkward soul!

Sami Kelsh

Oh man, who didn’t love Tim Horton’s peach drink? That stuff was the business.

I swear it got less awesome when they started selling it in bottles instead of as a fountain drink. Or maybe I just got older. Who’s to say?