Edit tea info Last updated by Ysaurella

• “Another tea from a swap with Ysaurella which was a tea I really really wanted to try. It was on my shopping list, tried to buy it a few months ago but was out of stock. But, and not for the first...” Read full tasting note
    cteresa 333 tasting notes
  • “This is a sample I requested while visiting B&B. I already had this tea in the past but not since at least 4 years. The scent of dry leaf is just waouh...fantastic, the liquor is a perfect balance...” Read full tasting note
    Ysaurella 388 tasting notes
  • “Lovely sample-sized sachet sent to me by *Ysaurella*, who thought I'd like it. You were so right, Ysaurella! I have a somewhat uneasy relationship with Earl Greys, as I love the flavour of...” Read full tasting note
    Hallieod 73 tasting notes
  • “The side of the can states: A blend of fine teas from India and China, flavored with Italian oil of Bergamot, orange and lemon. I'm worried about the bergamot - I'm not a real Earl Grey kinda guy....” Read full tasting note
    roon 9 tasting notes

From Betjeman and Barton

Based on a China and Ceylon tea. We will not say more! The recipe is secret since 40 years old. Like a magic elixir,a typical Russia taste.It is forever the oldest and most enjoyed Betjeman and Barton tea; loved by the company itself and its faithful customers throughout the world.

About Betjeman and Barton View company

Another tea from a swap with Ysaurella which was a tea I really really wanted to try. It was on my shopping list, tried to buy it a few months ago but was out of stock. But, and not for the first time, Ysaurella came to the rescue!

This is probably the nicest (do not check numeric ratings, I am seriously considering deleting all) Betjman tea I have tried yet. It´s a “russian” french tea and very much so – some citrus, some bergamot and an elegant base. For me it works very well, I get little bergamot but more orange, some smoke and a hint of bitterness which somehow make it even more drinkable. Very nice indeed.

Ysaurella

that’s so funny ! I made a full pot of this one today and was wondering when you would decide to taste it ! I like the smocky taste of this Pouchkine tea and need to do a better tasting note one of these day.
I was pretty sure you would like this kind of Earl Grey’s spin of !

cteresa

I have had it before I confess! Sometimes it is such a treat to have a new tea, but I do not have the time to write a taste note immediately afterwards and I decided to delay the next taste note. But this was only the second taste, so not too bad! I must go and check if I did taste notes of a few more I have already had!

Ysaurella

yes not bad for a kind of EG especially for you who don’t like so much EG but Pouchkine is different, really

Anna

I always loved how his name is spelled in French – it sounds like a cute little monkey.

a monkey,yes why not :)

The scent of dry leaf is just waouh…fantastic, the liquor is a perfect balance of citrus : orange, bergamot and lemon with a light smocky taste.
This is a nice Earl Grey declination in homage to Russian blends.
Delicious, goes in my shopping list, definitively.

Lovely sample-sized sachet sent to me by Ysaurella, who thought I’d like it. You were so right, Ysaurella! I have a somewhat uneasy relationship with Earl Greys, as I love the flavour of bergamot, but often find it so overpowering I can’t get enough of the base tea tea-ishness, so it’s more like licking a bottle of essential oil than it should be. This, however, is delicious! The other citrus flavours make a huge difference, as you get orange, lemon and bergamot flowing over your palate, but they’re all restrained enough to keep them from being too dominant. And the touch of smokiness is surprisingly right with the citrus – well, it surprised me. I could see vanilla with Earl Grey immediately, but wasn’t sure about smoky.

I’ll definitely be getting this when I order from B&B again – thank you so much for introducing me to this one, Ysaurella!

Ysaurella

I’m glad you liked it ! It’s the B&B best seller and for good reasons : it’s so good.
I have a lot of Earl Greys, I love Earl Greys and they are all so different, this one is one of my favourite along with Earl Grey French Blue of Mariage Frères, even if so dramatically different !

Hallieod

Interesting that your two favourites are very different! I’m having a hard time imagining another Earl Grey now getting equal ranking with this. :)

The side of the can states: A blend of fine teas from India and China, flavored with Italian oil of Bergamot, orange and lemon. I’m worried about the bergamot – I’m not a real Earl Grey kinda guy.

Turns out, the bergamot isn’t overwhelming. There’s a sort of muddled, bitter, citrus taste, which seems balanced against the tea itself, which is… well, black – all leathery and earthy, but without much aftertaste. It’s pleasant enough, and would be a fine tea to drink while you were busy paying attention to something else, but it tastes the same all the way through.