Irish Breakfast

Edit tea info Last updated by Paul M Tracy

From Bewley's

Our Irish Breakfast Tea is an invigorating blend of high-grown Assam and Darjeeling teas. Harvested in India, its strong flavour is best complemented by the addition of milk.

About Bewley's View company

It may not be morning and breakfast has long passed but I am in urgent need for a builders tea (strong, sweet and milky). I’m trying to do my house chores which should have been done on the weekend but I was out of the house most of the time. I need to defrost my freezer and clean the fridge, mop the kitchen and do some clothes washing. I’ve done a few other bits but my back is killing me today, must have been all the walking I did on the weekend. A cup of tea and a little time to relax should do the trick before I carry on.

…………………………………………………………..

This is a nice tea, subtly smoky and malty but smooth and with good strength. Perhaps not as strong as my personal taste for a breakfast tea but not far off. Half way down the cup and it tastes much richer than it did before and with a touch of gentle spice.

Good quality and nice flavour considering it’s a bagged tea.

bitter, even in a mug mug and at the minimum brewing time listed. No biggie, since I was planning to add Bailey’s anyway. 2 tbsp smoothed it out nicely :-)

Steep Information:
Amount: 1 teabag
Water: hot carafe water, paper cup
Steep Time: 2 minutes

Body: Full
Aftertaste: bitter
Liquor: opaque dark brown

Post-Steep Additives: white sugar

Not the most fabulous tea, but it was very good at waking me up during the meeting I was in. I think the tea might have been a bit better had there been boiling water. A surprisingly good teabag.

Images: http://amazonv.blogspot.com/2010/11/bewleys-coffee-and-tea-company-teabag.html

TeaEqualsBliss

Hiya! Did you get my package I sent last week!?

A co-worker of mine is originally from Ireland and she brought me a few bags of this to try.

This tea is packaged in the traditional white, circular filter-paper teabag. The fragrance is light but definitely creamy with notes of pepper.

Upon adding the boiling water, it was immediately black which foreshadowed the strength of this tea. It was highly astringent with an underlying malt. I don’t normally add anything to my tea, but this one needed a little sweetener and cream to get through.

The power of this tea took me off guard at first, but it grew on me. If anything, it will wake you up!

ashmanra

My daughter brought me two Bewley teas from Dublin last fall. Clipper Gold was actually frightening. The instant the water hit the tea, it turned dark and you could smell the powerful aroma right away! Irish Afternoon was nice, though. CG had scared me so badly that I only steeped it for about 2 minutes, and it really needed more. If you want to try either or both of those, I will be happy to send some.

I quite like this as a simple tea, though not quite as much as my Red Rose. However, somethign interesting to note, perhaps, is that this tea place is so old, and so Irish, that it is mentioned in James Joyce’s novel “The Dubliners”!

Anyway, this is your basic breakfast tea, nothing too special, but very good. My only issue is that I love to re-steep my teas once or twice, but if you do that with this one, you somehow get a fair bit of flavouring from the bag its in, which is really odd. But I’m sure that isn’t a deal breaker for anyone!

Some friends of mine went to Ireland a few months back, and gave me a cup and saucer with shamrocks all over, very cute. They also added a few bags of this tea, because they said that they could not find any Irish Breakfast tea where they went. I finally made a cup, and it’s actually very nice and surprising! I tried it first without milk or sweetener, and it would have been fine that way, but the bag did suggest that it went well with milk, and that’s the way I’m drinking it now. Typically if I add milk, I add sweetener, but this is just great as it is.

Very nice if not exciting tea brewed loose – good morning tea.

I actually bought this tea as a possible substitute for my beloved Original Blend, which I am almost out of. It has that strong character that I associate with Irish Breakfast tea, but I find that it doesn’t give me as much of a kick as the Original Blend.

Great breakfast tea, however I would never drink it without milk/cream and sugar. It goes well with both. Thanks to Amazon this can be one of my staples

Bought this in Dublin not long ago and was pleasantly surprised. Full body, bitter aftertaste just as I like it.. very good smell. Recommended!