Green Tea with Quince

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by yyz

• “thank you so much to my far-more-organized-than-i swap buddy, yyz, for this one. yyz was unbelievably detailed in her labelling of the tea samples she sent me. she notes on this particular one...” Read full tasting note
    JustJames 344 tasting notes
  • “The scent of this tea has a bright citrusy note of lime mixed with pear. The gunpowder base produces a creamy, sweet, fresh tasting vegetal tea base which is slightly grassy which is overlain with...” Read full tasting note
    yyz 245 tasting notes

From Big-Active

ingredients: green tea, candied pineapple, quince, calendula flower petals, flavouring.

1tsp/cup – 90 degree celsius – 2-3 min.

About Big-Active View company

yyz was unbelievably detailed in her labelling of the tea samples she sent me. she notes on this particular one that it was purchased in a polish grocery store. i have one of those not too far from me… i may have to stop by!

this tea was great! quince is a rare thing to find in north american teas. a cross between pear, cirus with an almost aloe like texture. this tea had lovely big chunks of quince in it. i grew up with quince jelly, so for me it wasn’t odd. the candied pineapple was a perfect opposite to the quince.

honestly, i can’t think of a better alternative base than this nice light green! quite excellent! thank you yyz. nas zdrowie =0)

yyz

I’m glad you like it! If they don’t have this one the bastek one isn’t that bad either ( though I like there lemon one best I think it kind of a creamy clover green and a light lemon). The Opuncia one is really good if you like a fruity floral flavour as well. In general I’ ve liked most of Big -Active teas. There Yunnan base is kind of intense in their blacks though, and is almost licorice like and can take some getting used to.

Oh! Hey! Quince!

JustJames

i am the one in 10 that actually enjoys black licorice, i wouldn’t have a problem dealing with an intense black with such overtones. i really enjoyed this tea, it was great!

i’m kindof ruined for teas from this continent aren’t i? french, german, polish…. sigh. lol. well, it costs less than a vacation!

Anna

You would fit right in among the Swedes, then – they’re all mad about licorice. Here’s a selection of some of the specialty licorice stores in Stockholm: http://www.lakritslaban.se/lakritsbutiker-i-stockholm/

yyz

I love licorice, that’s one of the things I miss about Guelph they have/had? A Dutch grocery store with an aisle of licorice! Hard, soft, salty, sweet you name it. Well if you’re game to try it my favourite is the Earl Grey which is strong and bold and has rose in it. It took me a bit to get into it but now when I can find it I really like it. I’ve also had the peach apricot and the golden Yunnan ( which had safflower and reminded me of watermelon, though I think it’s only available through their e store and the blend your own section which I don’t think ships internationally yet). The good things are the Polish Teas are really affordable. I get the green teas for under $3.00/100g!

JustJames

i love dutch black licorice…. the unsweetened stuff especially.

wonder if i can find the big active teas locally….? hmmmm.

JustJames

ANNA! don’t help! bad enough you tease me with tea leave licorice out of it!!!!!!!!!

MUHAHAHA.

OMGsrsly

I love black licorice, but it all has wheat in it. :( It’s the only way I can consume licorice root, actually. I find in tea the aftertaste is too much.

Anna

Oh, but OMGsrsly, there are several companies that make black licorice with rice flour instead – the texture is better, and it’s completely gluten free. Would that work for you?

OMGsrsly

I’ve seen only one brand, and it was like playdough. I couldn’t get past the texture. If I could find some that’s more like the ‘normal’ chewy licorice texture, that would be awesome.

The scent of this tea has a bright citrusy note of lime mixed with pear. The gunpowder base produces a creamy, sweet, fresh tasting vegetal tea base which is slightly grassy which is overlain with a fruity mix resembling a blend of lime, pear, and pineapple. Quite nice and resteeps very well.