Constant Comment

Black Tea, Orange Peel, Spices
Cloves, Citrusy, Orange Zest, Spices, Orange, Cinnamon, Smooth, Citrus, Cardamon, Spicy, Bitter, Clove, Cream
Bulk, Tea Bag
Edit tea info Last updated by linx810

• “I was reading one of my classmate’s essays for senior seminar and it was about her family—her mom, specifically. It was so well written that it made me homesick for my mom. Two of the...” Read full tasting note
    MegWesley 550 tasting notes
  • “So, I’m sick and staying with family/friends in Colorado. I was craving some comfort tea from the moment I woke up. Something with lavender. So my cold-medicine-addled self put on boots and...” Read full tasting note
    tabby 546 tasting notes
  • “Had this for afternoon tea. I think I overbrewed it a bit, but it was still drinkable. That’s what is great about this tea- it takes abuse and still tastes pretty much the same way you...” Read full tasting note
    lovingmy4babies 71 tasting notes
  • “Wednesday Jan. 12, 2011 1st Steep of the Day. After 2 Hours of Shoveling Snow. Came in to a Steamy Hot Cup Of Biggie’s Constant Comment. Could not have been a Better Choice this Morning. Big...” Read full tasting note
    truckie442 374 tasting notes

From Bigelow

Created by Ruth Bigelow in her kitchen over 60 years ago “Constant Comment” is today America’s most popular specialty tea. This original blend of the finest mountain-grown tea is deliciously flavored with rind of oranges and sweet spice. There’s no other tea in the world quite like it.

About Bigelow View company

I work in a retail grocery environment and I sell quite a bit of this tea on a monthly basis. One night this week I ended up having to work outside in the frigid temperatures and figured I could use some tea to warm me up when I got home that night, so I picked up a box of this based on the glowing reviews I had heard from my customers.

I used bottled drinking water, heated it to boiling as per the directions on the box and steeped the tea for a good five or possible even seven minutes. To be totally honest I wasn’t really paying that close attention. Now, when I first opened the box I loved the smell. It was so warm and spicy mixed with a creamy citrus scent that just made me smile, though I don’t notice any mention of cream in the description so that creaminess might be all in my head. I loved the orange color of the liquor as the tea brewed and I even loved that it didn’t need much sugar to sweeten it as the sweet spice gave plenty of sweetness on its own.

Here’s where things take a turn for the worst. Honestly this tea should just be an herbal infusion. I know that it is based in black tea, not sure exactly what kind, but to be completely honest I’ve had three cups of it now and couldn’t say I’ve tasted tea at all. It tastes warm and spicy mixed with orange but there is nothing tea-like in the taste, smell or mouth-feel, and the overall effect is highly artificial to me. Normally black tea has a very astringent quality to me, especially if over-steeped at all, but this tea does not have that at all. It literally tastes, smells and feels like herbal tea to me. I don’t even notice any effect from the caffeine that would be found in black tea. Nothing, nada, zilch.

So, if you are looking for a quick, cheap and artificial tasting spiced orange “tea” give it a try. For a cold night when you need something to warm you and might not be able to get your hands on anything better I suppose it does the job. But otherwise just avoid it, in all honesty you will probably just be disappointed.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Cloves, Cream, Orange Zest

My boyfriend’s mom actually turned me on to this tea because it’s apparently her mother’s favorite and I can see why. It’s orange spice black tea, basically. I steep for five or more minutes (I like really strong tea) and add a dash of sugar and a splash of cream and it’s delicious. The lightly spiced scent is so comforting, I’d never turn down a cup of it! This is definitely one I always have on hand.

I kind of hated this tea when I first got it. I wasn’t overly fond of the the almost syrupy citrus-spice taste (not a great description), but I’ve come to like it. I don’t have a sentimental nostalgia story to go with it, but it was a pretty good drink.

This tea is a great cup for a cold morning. It has just the right zest to wake up taste buds and yet it’s not overpowering. I haven’t had it in a while, but it was surprisingly cold this morning, so I pulled it out for a great start for the day.

the flavor was stronger than i expected. i dont usually steep my teas for too long, it tasted better by the 2nd and 3rd steeps :)

i tried mixing it with a plain black tea and steeping for a shorter time. tasted better.

i love how this flavor mellows down and mixes with my other teabags in one mug :)

Iv’e been drinking this tea for over 40 years. I have tried other teas but always go back to it. Every morning. It keeps me young(just kidding) the flavor is mild it doesn’t have a bitter taste and it gives you a little jump start to the day. I would hate if they stopped making it.

Found this tea very refreshing. Have not had this in ages great for a brisk June morning in Michigan.

I always have to have this tea on hand. It has been a favorite for over 20 years. The oranges mixed with spices is so wonderful, it just makes you stop to smell and enjoy.

Can’t beat a classic. A little orange-y, a little spicy, this is one of those teas that won’t let you down when you just don’t know what you want.

Sadly I am one of the few people who did not grow up on this tea. I have just recently tried this and so far I have to say that it is not horrendous. I really like the orange spicy flavor and will probably have to steep some very soon.