Constant Comment

Black Tea, Orange Peel, Spices
Orange, Spices, Cloves, Citrusy, Orange Zest, Cinnamon, Smooth, Citrus, Cardamon, Spicy, Bitter, Clove, Cream
Bulk, Tea Bag
Medium
Kosher
Edit tea info Last updated by linx810

• “I was reading one of my classmate’s essays for senior seminar and it was about her family—her mom, specifically. It was so well written that it made me homesick for my mom. Two of the...” Read full tasting note
    MegWesley 550 tasting notes
  • “So, I’m sick and staying with family/friends in Colorado. I was craving some comfort tea from the moment I woke up. Something with lavender. So my cold-medicine-addled self put on boots and...” Read full tasting note
    tabby 556 tasting notes
  • “Had this for afternoon tea. I think I overbrewed it a bit, but it was still drinkable. That’s what is great about this tea- it takes abuse and still tastes pretty much the same way you...” Read full tasting note
    lovingmy4babies 71 tasting notes
  • “Wednesday Jan. 12, 2011 1st Steep of the Day. After 2 Hours of Shoveling Snow. Came in to a Steamy Hot Cup Of Biggie’s Constant Comment. Could not have been a Better Choice this Morning. Big...” Read full tasting note
    truckie442 375 tasting notes

From Bigelow

Created by Ruth Bigelow in her kitchen over 60 years ago “Constant Comment” is today America’s most popular specialty tea. This original blend of the finest mountain-grown tea is deliciously flavored with rind of oranges and sweet spice. There’s no other tea in the world quite like it.

About Bigelow View company

A favorite from childhood, the orange notes were always what I drank when I had a cold. Mom’s “Spice tea, please”, a perennial comfort food.

Angrboda

This made me smile. Mostly because we’ve just had a long discussion about Leonard Cohen and his reference to this tea in one of his songs on one of JacquelineM’s posts. :)

Nice thing about this “commercial” brew….its good even after it has cooled off to room temp (although I’d swear that was “ICED tea” around the office today.

This my favorite tea. I was first introduced to it as a child when my mother would give me this tea before school on cold mornings, and maybe with some lemon and honey if I had a cold. Tastes and smells perfect. I take it with me when on long hiking trips as an alternative to coffee.

Flavors: Orange, Spices

Thanksgiving at mom’s Day 3, Tea 2. 13th overall. Might have time for one more after this, might just get ready to head to the Sierra Nevada Brewery. Priorities.

Anyway, this one.

I’ve always seen this one around. I’ve seen it in stores, online, heard people talk about it, it’s just a pretty famous old school tea. For some reason I’ve never tried it, until now.

Here we go.

The aroma is a combo of a underwhelming chai and a relaxed spiced tea. Sort of bland and spicy at the same time. Odd balance. Hopefully that will change in the mouth.

Sort of. It’s an odd flavor. There is a hint of orange in there, along with all the spice, and at the very bottom just a hint of the black tea base. Very British.

Now, I’m not a fan of spiced tea in general, so on that list, this would sit at the very top. Sort of an eased off, relaxed spiced tea, not so in your face. The hint of orange helps that a whole bunch. Overall, it really does have a very nice balance.

In the end, if I was looking for a spiced tea that I actually liked, this would be near the top. But near the top of a group of teas I’m not a huge fan of….

mrmopar

This was one of the first teas I drank other than sweet southern tea. I got me into flavored stuff and I branched from there.

Ugh, clove.

There is just something about the combination of citrus and clove which makes me think of decomposing orange peels.

Flavors: Cloves

I gave this a try during a busy time at work. The mornings have been very cold and gray here lately, making me wonder if it’s really spring. This is a nice cup of tea to warm up with. Even if it comes in an ordinary-seeming little bag, sometimes that’s just what you need. The black tea base isn’t very strong, which with simpler bagged teas can be a good thing, as it reduces astringency. The orange zest has a nice natural quality to it, and there are little pieces of orange rind in the mix. The spice flavor isn’t too strong, either—and the spice has always been my least favorite part of orange spice so in this case, it’s also a good thing.

I forget about this old standby until I am offered a cup, and then I remember that it’s just wonderful! Slightly citrus-y, slightly complicated, always good. Takes milk and sweetener well.

The orange zest and spices are just amazing in this. You can really taste the cloves in it, which I love. I drink the decaf version all the time.

Flavors: Citrusy, Cloves, Orange Zest, Spices

One of my all time favorites! Grew up drinking it and still love it. Make sure to not over steep or it’ll get bitter.

I attended a managers meeting yesterday at a winery, and while they didn’t serve wine…there was a chest of teas!

This one was the most “unique” out of the bunch. The majority were Bigelow. I’ve always considered Bigelow green to be my baseline for a plain jane good cup of tea, so I was sure it would at least be decent.

Following in line with my feelings on the green…this spiced tea was just a plain jane good cup of spiced tea. I was a little disappointed that I didn’t get any taste of citrus though.

195 °F / 90 °C