Constant Comment

Black Tea, Orange Peel, Spices
Orange Zest, Spices, Cloves, Orange, Cinnamon, Smooth, Citrus, Cardamon, Spicy, Bitter, Clove, Cream
Bulk, Tea Bag
Medium
Kosher
Edit tea info Last updated by linx810

• “I was reading one of my classmate’s essays for senior seminar and it was about her family—her mom, specifically. It was so well written that it made me homesick for my mom. Two of the...” Read full tasting note
    MegWesley 550 tasting notes
  • “So, I’m sick and staying with family/friends in Colorado. I was craving some comfort tea from the moment I woke up. Something with lavender. So my cold-medicine-addled self put on boots and...” Read full tasting note
    tabby 519 tasting notes
  • “Had this for afternoon tea. I think I overbrewed it a bit, but it was still drinkable. That’s what is great about this tea- it takes abuse and still tastes pretty much the same way you...” Read full tasting note
    lovingmy4babies 71 tasting notes
  • “Wednesday Jan. 12, 2011 1st Steep of the Day. After 2 Hours of Shoveling Snow. Came in to a Steamy Hot Cup Of Biggie’s Constant Comment. Could not have been a Better...” Read full tasting note
    truckie442 365 tasting notes

From Bigelow

Created by Ruth Bigelow in her kitchen over 60 years ago “Constant Comment” is today America’s most popular specialty tea. This original blend of the finest mountain-grown tea is deliciously flavored with rind of oranges and sweet spice. There’s no other tea in the world quite like it.

About Bigelow View company

A favorite from childhood, the orange notes were always what I drank when I had a cold. Mom’s “Spice tea, please”, a perennial comfort food.

Angrboda

This made me smile. Mostly because we’ve just had a long discussion about Leonard Cohen and his reference to this tea in one of his songs on one of JacquelineM’s posts. :)

Nice thing about this “commercial” brew….its good even after it has cooled off to room temp (although I’d swear that was “ICED tea” around the office today.

This is the tea that first got me hooked. :)

I’m pretty riding the fence any time I drink this tea. On the one hand it’s pretty decent for a bagged black tea. But on the other hand compared to some of the good loose leaf I’ve had it doesn’t come close.
Even if the taste doesn’t make you scream out for joy, the smell is quite nice. Definitely a scent that would be soothing and relaxing on a cold or stressful day.
I taste and smell the orange flavor for sure. It lingers as the aftertaste for quite awhile too. The spices are right there in the background when you take a sip.
Wouldn’t write home about this tea, but it’s a decent cheap tea bag.

Flavors: Orange Zest, Spices

I’ve sampled this from a package of Vanilla Chai by Bigelow and was intrigued by the scent of this tea. However, I felt I was hit with the strong aroma and taste of cloves. I am not a fan of cloves, although I did enjoy how unique the flavor was. I did sense hints of orange, and nothing else. I am now curious to taste older versions of this flavor after having read many reviews by loyal Bigelow tea drinkers having this for 50+ years. I was honored to have sampled Bigelow’s first and original tea flavors.

Flavors: Cloves, Orange

It’s strongly flavored but extremely drinkable and never overpowering. If you add a hint of sugar a rich cinnamon flavor comes through. A great mug to warm you up.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Orange Zest

Bigelow has always been my least favorite brand of tea, so I’ve never tried this one before. But Bigelow was my only option this morning, so I decided to give Constant Comment a try. It was a pleasant surprise: not amazing by any means, but not undrinkable either. There’s a mild orange flavor and a tiny hint of spice layered on top of a smooth, nondescript base. It also didn’t go bitter even though I left the tea bag in while drinking it. Not something I’ll buy for myself, but I’d drink it again.

Flavors: Orange, Smooth, Spices

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Oh, this one always reminds me of my mother, and even though it is a “grocery store” tea, I love it. Bold black tea with a hint of orange spice. It’s also one of the few teas I always drink with milk and/or sugar.

Flavors: Orange Zest

2 min, 15 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

This is a great, basic, spiced tea. It’s a staple in my tea cupboard, and will be unless I miraculously find an orange spice tea (with caffeine) that trumps it. My only caution is that it can turn bitter if you steep it for too long. I usually don’t take the tea bag out of my mug, so I suck this one down to avoid any astringency.

Flavors: Cloves

Yesterday was just kinda stinky; so we’re trying to perk the day up today, even if it’s by artificial means. Wearing the Yellow Sweater (reserved especially for doldrum winter days; usually, it doesn’t come out until January) and broke the a.m. unflavored routine in favor of something nostalgic.

Constant Comment is chummy and reliable; not finicky on time and temp; enough orange and clove to warm up your mouth, but not to interfere or go bitter on you. It was my mom’s pantry standard when I was growing up. This bag was a snitch, but a box of my very own sounds tempting.