Constant Comment

Black Tea, Orange Peel, Spices
Orange Zest, Spices, Cloves, Orange, Cinnamon, Smooth, Citrus, Cardamon, Spicy, Bitter, Clove, Cream
Bulk, Tea Bag
Medium
Kosher
Edit tea info Last updated by linx810

• “I was reading one of my classmate’s essays for senior seminar and it was about her family—her mom, specifically. It was so well written that it made me homesick for my mom. Two of the...” Read full tasting note
    MegWesley 545 tasting notes
  • “So, I’m sick and staying with family/friends in Colorado. I was craving some comfort tea from the moment I woke up. Something with lavender. So my cold-medicine-addled self put on boots and...” Read full tasting note
    tabby 507 tasting notes
  • “Had this for afternoon tea. I think I overbrewed it a bit, but it was still drinkable. That’s what is great about this tea- it takes abuse and still tastes pretty much the same way you...” Read full tasting note
    lovingmy4babies 71 tasting notes
  • “Wednesday Jan. 12, 2011 1st Steep of the Day. After 2 Hours of Shoveling Snow. Came in to a Steamy Hot Cup Of Biggie’s Constant Comment. Could not have been a Better...” Read full tasting note
    truckie442 365 tasting notes

From Bigelow

Created by Ruth Bigelow in her kitchen over 60 years ago “Constant Comment” is today America’s most popular specialty tea. This original blend of the finest mountain-grown tea is deliciously flavored with rind of oranges and sweet spice. There’s no other tea in the world quite like it.

About Bigelow View company

Apparently this is one of Bigelow’s best selling teas ever, and I can see why. I tried it for the first time at church (typical) and found the strong cardamom and orange overtones to the otherwise pleasingly mild black tea addictive. A box of 20 later, this is a permanent member of my cupboard. Some people may want to add cream as it has a bit of Earl Grey-like dry spice to it, but it’s wholly fantastic by itself. I like it strong, so I steep this one about 3 minutes – you can get a nice color at just 2, though.

Flavors: Cardamon, Orange, Spicy

While I generally prefer loose leaf, there’s something comforting about Constant Comment. I have heard the founder of Bigelow speak and appreciate the stories about how this company was founded. This is great as a latte – though I use two tea bags for stronger flavor.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Orange, Smooth

Boiling 7 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Nothing that’s going to shatter any boundaries with mind-blowing flavor, but nice and comforting. Lovely with fall just around the corner.

debrica

But Fancyteacup – it’s my childhood fancy favorite!!

My favorite cure for homesickness. Constant Comment will forever hold a special place in my heart, as I grew up with its warm and spicy fragrance wafting from my mother and grandmother’s teacups every evening.

Flavors: Bitter, Orange Zest, Spices

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

So. I am in a hotel, traveling for business. I had a really nice tea set up all packed in a zippered bag that has: a wee little stainless electric kettle, a tea stick (http://www.crateandbarrel.com/gamila-tea-infuser-stick/s132094?a=1552&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CLGWqtfchb8CFSJo7AodYxEAlA ), and sevral kinds of awesome tea. I was willing to live with the little glasses they have in the room to brew in. I’m guessing the little tea things bag looks really cute sitting on my kitchen table where I left it.

The hotel lobby has a coffee set up and has some boxes of tea beside it. No hot water at 4:30 am, but there is a teeny coffeemaker in my room. So I am drinking two bags of this infused into one cup of whatever temperature of water comes out of the in-room coffeemaker.

And you know what? It’s not that bad. Except for the clove explosion which is a bit much and kind of overwhelms everything else, but I think I stepped it a little too long.

It reminds me of what my parents used to make for us when we went camping as kids. It was called Spiced Tea. It included: Nestea Instant Tea, Tang, cloves, cinnamon. It was all mixed together in a tupperware container and we would spoon the mix into cups and fill with hot water from the camp stove. We LOVED that stuff. And this reminds me of that, so I’m enjoying this.

Flavors: Clove, Orange

Veronica

Oh, bummer! I hate when I forget the things that make me comfortable when I travel. :( On a different note, I loved spiced tea as a kid!

TheTeaFairy

Darn…you must have been so bummed out. Glad you were able to find something that wasn’t too awful though :-)

Marzipan

I like Constant Comment as a nostalgia thing, for the same reasons I like Ragu and Kraft mac & cheese, even though I know there are “better” ones out there.

MzPriss

Yes but I’m home now and having H&S Golden Monkey. Life is good!

Hillel

Ah yes, good old Constant Comment. We had it a lot when I was a kid and I drink it a couple of times a year just for the nostalgia. What is it about odors that stimulate memory so sharply? Sometimes when I’m traveling, I deliberately leave my teas behind so I can appreciate them that much more when I return.
How’s the H&S Golden Monkey? I’ve had a few other versions and love it. It’s the closest thing we have to a “house tea” because everyone in my family favors it. When I first got it, my then-adolescent son immediately dubbed it “Monkey Butt” and so it has been known in our house ever since.

Marzipan

That’s funny. Adagio has those dragon pearls, and we call the “dragon poop” here.

Veronica

My son likes to pronounce Assam ass-am. Drives me crazy. :)

MzPriss

@Hillel – I LOVE the Harney Golden Monkey very very much. Its a little pricey but it is delicious. Teavivre’s is also very nice and more affordable

sherapop

A nostalgic tea for me, for sure. I drank tons of it while growing up.

sherapop

And also the same spiced tea recipe as yours, MzPriss! ;-)

MzPriss

You know I don’t know if I would still love that spiced tea anymore – or for that matter, if you can still even get Tang – but I would try it again

Constant Comment is an interesting tea. It’s kind plain, but it really isn’t that bad.

As a morning, smooth tea, this is good. It’s not overpowering in the morning, which is what I like on the early mornings before class.

All in all, it’s not my favorite, but in a pinch, when you really want something different, this is a good tea.

I’ve tried making this tea several different ways but it never tastes good to me. I can’t get enough flavor out of it without it being very bitter. It could just be the fact that I’m very novice when it comes to tea, but as far as I have experienced, this isn’t good. Every time I make it, I either have to mix it with another tea or throw it out because it tastes awful on its own.

Flavors: Bitter

This tea can be summarized in one word:

ORANGE

It has actual bits of orange rind in the bag. Its a decent tea, noting too special..the blend of spices is not overpowering.

Flavors: Orange Zest

Can’t taste it, but it’s hot. So yay!

mrmopar

My first tea other than Lipton. Many years ago Long John Silvers offered this on their menu.

carol who

One of my first teas other than the typical restaurant or grocery store blacks. It was a good start on what other teas could taste like. Ah, memories… the good old days when we could be satisfied with a couple teas in the cupboard. ;p