Constant Comment

Orange, Smooth, Spices, Orange Zest, Cloves, Citrus, Cardamon, Spicy, Cinnamon, Bitter, Clove, Cream
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I was reading one of my classmate's essays for senior seminar and it was about her family--her mom, specifically. It was so well written that it made me homesick for my mom. Two of the things that...” Read full tasting note
    MegWesley 540 tasting notes
  • “So, I'm sick and staying with family/friends in Colorado. I was craving some comfort tea from the moment I woke up. Something with lavender. So my cold-medicine-addled self put on boots and...” Read full tasting note
    tabby 498 tasting notes
  • “Had this for afternoon tea. I think I overbrewed it a bit, but it was still drinkable. That's what is great about this tea- it takes abuse and still tastes pretty much the same way you remember....” Read full tasting note
    lovingmy4babies 71 tasting notes
  • “Wednesday Jan. 12, 2011 1st Steep of the Day. After 2 Hours of Shoveling Snow. Came in to a Steamy Hot Cup Of Biggie's Constant Comment. Could not have been a Better Choice this Morning. Big...” Read full tasting note
    truckie442 364 tasting notes

From Bigelow

Created by Ruth Bigelow in her kitchen over 60 years ago “Constant Comment” is today America’s most popular specialty tea. This original blend of the finest mountain-grown tea is deliciously flavored with rind of oranges and sweet spice. There’s no other tea in the world quite like it.

About Bigelow View company

debrica

But Fancyteacup – it’s my childhood fancy favorite!!

My favorite cure for homesickness. Constant Comment will forever hold a special place in my heart, as I grew up with its warm and spicy fragrance wafting from my mother and grandmother’s teacups every evening.

Flavors: Bitter, Orange Zest, Spices

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

So. I am in a hotel, traveling for business. I had a really nice tea set up all packed in a zippered bag that has: a wee little stainless electric kettle, a tea stick (http://www.crateandbarrel.com/gamila-tea-infuser-stick/s132094?a=1552&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CLGWqtfchb8CFSJo7AodYxEAlA ), and sevral kinds of awesome tea. I was willing to live with the little glasses they have in the room to brew in. I’m guessing the little tea things bag looks really cute sitting on my kitchen table where I left it.

The hotel lobby has a coffee set up and has some boxes of tea beside it. No hot water at 4:30 am, but there is a teeny coffeemaker in my room. So I am drinking two bags of this infused into one cup of whatever temperature of water comes out of the in-room coffeemaker.

And you know what? It’s not that bad. Except for the clove explosion which is a bit much and kind of overwhelms everything else, but I think I stepped it a little too long.

It reminds me of what my parents used to make for us when we went camping as kids. It was called Spiced Tea. It included: Nestea Instant Tea, Tang, cloves, cinnamon. It was all mixed together in a tupperware container and we would spoon the mix into cups and fill with hot water from the camp stove. We LOVED that stuff. And this reminds me of that, so I’m enjoying this.

Flavors: Clove, Orange

Veronica

Oh, bummer! I hate when I forget the things that make me comfortable when I travel. :( On a different note, I loved spiced tea as a kid!

TheTeaFairy

Darn…you must have been so bummed out. Glad you were able to find something that wasn’t too awful though :-)

Marzipan

I like Constant Comment as a nostalgia thing, for the same reasons I like Ragu and Kraft mac & cheese, even though I know there are “better” ones out there.

MzPriss

Yes but I’m home now and having H&S Golden Monkey. Life is good!

Hillel

Ah yes, good old Constant Comment. We had it a lot when I was a kid and I drink it a couple of times a year just for the nostalgia. What is it about odors that stimulate memory so sharply? Sometimes when I’m traveling, I deliberately leave my teas behind so I can appreciate them that much more when I return.
How’s the H&S Golden Monkey? I’ve had a few other versions and love it. It’s the closest thing we have to a “house tea” because everyone in my family favors it. When I first got it, my then-adolescent son immediately dubbed it “Monkey Butt” and so it has been known in our house ever since.

Marzipan

That’s funny. Adagio has those dragon pearls, and we call the “dragon poop” here.

Veronica

My son likes to pronounce Assam ass-am. Drives me crazy. :)

MzPriss

@Hillel – I LOVE the Harney Golden Monkey very very much. Its a little pricey but it is delicious. Teavivre’s is also very nice and more affordable

sherapop

A nostalgic tea for me, for sure. I drank tons of it while growing up.

sherapop

And also the same spiced tea recipe as yours, MzPriss! ;-)

MzPriss

You know I don’t know if I would still love that spiced tea anymore – or for that matter, if you can still even get Tang – but I would try it again

Constant Comment is an interesting tea. It’s kind plain, but it really isn’t that bad.

As a morning, smooth tea, this is good. It’s not overpowering in the morning, which is what I like on the early mornings before class.

All in all, it’s not my favorite, but in a pinch, when you really want something different, this is a good tea.

I’ve tried making this tea several different ways but it never tastes good to me. I can’t get enough flavor out of it without it being very bitter. It could just be the fact that I’m very novice when it comes to tea, but as far as I have experienced, this isn’t good. Every time I make it, I either have to mix it with another tea or throw it out because it tastes awful on its own.

Flavors: Bitter

This tea can be summarized in one word:

ORANGE

It has actual bits of orange rind in the bag. Its a decent tea, noting too special..the blend of spices is not overpowering.

Flavors: Orange Zest

Can’t taste it, but it’s hot. So yay!

mrmopar

My first tea other than Lipton. Many years ago Long John Silvers offered this on their menu.

carol who

One of my first teas other than the typical restaurant or grocery store blacks. It was a good start on what other teas could taste like. Ah, memories… the good old days when we could be satisfied with a couple teas in the cupboard. ;p

Somehow I’ve never tried this one, so mom insisted we pick up a box when we got the Lemon Lift. If I don’t like it, she does.

The orange in this is a little strong for my taste—orange rind isn’t my favorite ingredient in tea, but at least this version isn’t bitter. The spices are good, though, and the mouthfeel is creamy. I’m not in love with it but it’s pretty good!

This is the tea that first got me hooked on tea. The orange spiced flavour gives me a smile even still when I drink it — it’s tied to great memories.
I tried it before and after adding sugar… it seemed to be begging for it originally, but adding sugar both added and took away from the taste. The sweetness was nice, but the citrus was slightly diminished as a result. The overall spiced flavour was beautiful, though, and the tea continues to just feel like home.

I work in a retail grocery environment and I sell quite a bit of this tea on a monthly basis. One night this week I ended up having to work outside in the frigid temperatures and figured I could use some tea to warm me up when I got home that night, so I picked up a box of this based on the glowing reviews I had heard from my customers.

I used bottled drinking water, heated it to boiling as per the directions on the box and steeped the tea for a good five or possible even seven minutes. To be totally honest I wasn’t really paying that close attention. Now, when I first opened the box I loved the smell. It was so warm and spicy mixed with a creamy citrus scent that just made me smile, though I don’t notice any mention of cream in the description so that creaminess might be all in my head. I loved the orange color of the liquor as the tea brewed and I even loved that it didn’t need much sugar to sweeten it as the sweet spice gave plenty of sweetness on its own.

Here’s where things take a turn for the worst. Honestly this tea should just be an herbal infusion. I know that it is based in black tea, not sure exactly what kind, but to be completely honest I’ve had three cups of it now and couldn’t say I’ve tasted tea at all. It tastes warm and spicy mixed with orange but there is nothing tea-like in the taste, smell or mouth-feel, and the overall effect is highly artificial to me. Normally black tea has a very astringent quality to me, especially if over-steeped at all, but this tea does not have that at all. It literally tastes, smells and feels like herbal tea to me. I don’t even notice any effect from the caffeine that would be found in black tea. Nothing, nada, zilch.

So, if you are looking for a quick, cheap and artificial tasting spiced orange “tea” give it a try. For a cold night when you need something to warm you and might not be able to get your hands on anything better I suppose it does the job. But otherwise just avoid it, in all honesty you will probably just be disappointed.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Cloves, Cream, Orange Zest